PDA

View Full Version : another Glass cleaning question

kev-dog1
07/12/2004, 09:49 AM
I didn't want to hijack Sunamoon's thread, but I also have a cleaning question.
I recently tore down my 38g, and before setting it back up I'm doing some mods, maintenance and cleaning. I'm trying to get rid of what's left of the coraline that was on the back glass and I thought I could just scrape it off with a razor blade - but no, there remains ust a little, a slight 'ghost', remaining on the glass where it once was. Scraping is not working.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
kev

reewik
07/12/2004, 11:38 AM
Use vinegar. As Fishdoc11 posted it may be a calcium build up.

kev-dog1
07/12/2004, 01:38 PM
ok thanks, I'll give that a try. Not looking forward to it...vinegar is not exactly my favorite smell :(
Should it be diluted or used at full strength?

reewik
07/12/2004, 02:53 PM
I would use it at full strength.

cee
07/12/2004, 03:56 PM
Let it set overnight and soak. It will even remove calcerous tube worm shells, coraline algae, etc. if given time to work.

Dave

fishdoc11
07/12/2004, 05:37 PM
Who's been eating pickles?

sunamoon
07/13/2004, 08:49 AM
Thanks for being considerate, kev dog. but it wouldhave been ok with me. just means i would have learned something else! but i do have a question for you concerning your clean up. Is it bad to let the coraline grow on the back of the tank? I have been cleaning the sides of the tank regualrly to keep it off. but the back is so hard to reach i have left it mostly except to brush off the brown algae. just wondering if i should be doing something else to clean the inside walls.. thanks

kev-dog1
07/13/2004, 09:30 AM
I think that's a personal preference issue. I let it grow up on the back glass. But try to keep it in check on the other 3 sides.
But it seems there's always someone, when seeing my tank for the first time, who asks: "what's that pink/purple stuff on the back glass?"
This 38g is going to my office so I'm trying to get it looking like new (or as close as possible).

sunamoon
07/13/2004, 09:38 AM
well i guess my pref will be to let it grow there. will eventually cover the mechanicals. lol