PDA

View Full Version : November Meeting

amonhen
10/05/2001, 08:55 AM
Well, since it seems we are having an organizational (maybe "re-organizational" is better) meeting, let's get the ball rolling. IMHO, the key to any successful meeting is that people have come prepared, and that means that everyone knows what the meeting will be about and has thought a bit about the issues. Especially since there are some who aren't able to make the meetings, I think that some discussion and information dissemination before hand would be really useful.

I think that the most important thing we need to decide is what the goals of the club will be. Not that we can't change them, but everything else (structure, funding, advertising, etc.) will revolve around the goals. So, think about what kind of club you would like to be in. Think big, think long term. For instance, I would love to belong to a club that had its own facility, had ongoing research projects, a seminar series featuring local and outside experts, DIY workshops, and an active breeding program. (Note--these are just off the top of my head. We can certainly discuss them, but I am **NOT** making a serious proposal here; please don't freak out.)

Now, obviously, such things as this are many years off for us, but there are other types of clubs that have their own facilities and do group projects; we could get there if we all wanted to. But how do we get from here to there? What can we do in the short term with the facilities and funds we have right now? Right now, the club has no money, our own tanks, our own expertise and the libraries to meet in). It's not as bleak as it may seem--we just need to be creative. For instance, it was suggested that we may be able to get a sales rep or two to come and give a talk for free. All we need to make that a success is fill the room. Vince said he gave a talk in a club in NJ for free (they bought him dinner and beers). Larry asked if anyone at the meeting had made their own lighting hood. I'd be willing to bring mine in and talk about it's design and construction. If several people did this, we could do some comparisons ("well, mine is so obviously better than yours because..."); I think that would be interesting and very beneficial. There has been this idea of a live sand project--buying a few detritovore kits, dumping it all in a tank with some southdown, feeding it for a few weeks to let all the populations breed, and dividing it. Sounds like a great idea to me--does anyone have a tank lying dormant to do it in?

The point here is that we can do this stuff if we want to. We can start small and do some really cool stuff, even in the beginning. Membership will increase if there is something to be a member of (If we build it, they will come.....). But first, we have to decide our direction. Think about it, post a few crazy ideas, think about what others post, then let's talk about where we want to go as a group.

As always, this is just me; I'm not the president here, I just have a big mouth. Think another tack is better--go for it! Tell us about it! We want your input.

Jeff

Green Mariner
10/05/2001, 10:11 AM
Jeff, I think you have outlined a good plan, but one of the issues as I see it, is that we have tried handing out responsibilities and some complete them and others don't even bother.(IMO some have porposely held the club back) IMHO I think we need a "ruling body"(just a term I am using), then from there we would need to establish dues, to get a member base. Then as you suggested try to get some speakers in, at this point I would say for speakers, members get in free and "guests" pay a fee (hopefully this will stop people comming for coral trades and never comming back). Also there should be a fee for any non members that would like to attend a meeting, we also need to establish sponsers, so that we can raffel things off at every meeting, will help to beef up attendance at meetings. Then we can hold trade nights and so on. I am also going to recommend that there be no more sand trades, because some people have flat worms that have been getting passed around and that is completely unfair, no matter how you look at it. We can have a coral trade night, or even better people can donate frags to the club and they can be "auctioned off" this will help generate money for the club, this can also be allot of fun(silent auctions, things like that). As far as getting our own place I think that is a very good idea but definetly down the road a bit, unless we can find someone to donate some space. As far as setting up the live sand project, this IMO is a long term project, throwing a couple of detrivour kits and waiting a couple of weeks is a complete waste, in a couple of weeks you will have a couple of detriviour kits in some southdown. Besides a couple of detriviour kits is a couple of hundered dollars!

I have to say I am very happy this came to light, I am so tired of the same discussions over and over, the same people discussing the same topics over an over. I have mentioned to a couple of people already, that this club needs to get movated to grow or I will no longer be taking an active roll, we have lost some really great people because of the laziness of the club and it's members, think about it you drive about an hour or more to come to a reef club meeting and you find there are maybe 3 or 4 other people sitting around chit chatting about their tanks, personally I would never come back either. The perfect example was last nights meeting, well 95 so. closes down to 1 lane around so.Philly and is usually backed up to Woodhaven rd. There was nothing that made me really want to fight the traffic, so I called Vince and explained that I would'nt be attending because of traffic, there was nothing to make me want to show up! Hopefully this will be a wake up call to the club members that the time has come to get movtivated, or get left behind. I would like to personally thank those who brought this up last night, because I have been at my wits end!! THANK YOU!!!!!

BTW, This is the way I see things, not necessarily the way they are, just my opinions.

glh7767
10/08/2001, 10:39 AM
wow, we have touched off discussion!!! great. couple of points:
1. don't discount frag auctions or swaps, or equipment swaps, as people showing up and not returning. yes, that will happen, but if handled properly, and the INFRASTRUCTURE of a well run club with obvious benefits of membership is in place, these are excellent opportunities for membership development. it is target marketing at its best.
2. i would suggest we elect a president, some kind of program director and developer, and a membership person asap! i would be personally willing to help in these.

we've got some great ideas. lets continue to move forward.

gary

Green Mariner
10/08/2001, 11:50 AM
Gary, Sounds great!! I think you have some excellent ideas, and I for one am all for it, just let me know when and where to vote! I also am going to offer my web development services, I am afraid that is all I can offer at this point due to my wife and I expecting a new edition to the family, so most of my time will be spent with my wife and new baby!!!

JRegs
10/19/2001, 09:44 AM
I found this link to contain good information about building a good structure. It's all stuff we've talked about in one way or another, but I'm hoping this month will be a decent turnout and we could discuss each section. http://www.masna.org/archives/start.htm

glh7767
10/19/2001, 09:44 PM
i have seen this before, and it is an excellent summary with a few glaring problems. one is, no mention of fundraising activity other than auctions or 50/50 drawings is mentioned. they recommend no dues, so where does the initial seed money to run the organization come from.

i'm not sure i agree that next meeting is the right time to have an open discussion about organizing the club. if you note in the outline, "executive" meetings are separate from actual club meetings. vince has invited andy from icecap to speak next meeting, and i think i would prefer we give andy plenty of time to speak and to field questions relating to lighting. i think a few of us interested in moving this club forward should get together apart from this meeting and work out the nuts and bolts.

gary

Aquariust
10/21/2001, 10:57 PM
So is there a november meeting and when/where is it? The PARC home page is down.

Still at Kathern Drexel?

glh7767
10/21/2001, 11:08 PM
that is correct. next meeting is nov 7 at the catharine drexel library at 7 p.m on knights rd. in beautiful northeast philly. speaker will be andy from icecap discussing all things dealing with lighting. feel free to bring any reef friends who might like to attend. btw, i just tried the web site, and it was fully operational. follow this shortcut: http://members.home.net/greenmariner/parc.htm

hope to see you there. we want a big turnout for this excellent speaker!

gary

amonhen
10/22/2001, 08:38 AM
Gary's thinking seems sound to me. I would suggest that we take a few minutes at the meeting to announce that we will have an executive meeting and decide when/where that will be. Having said that, I'm planning on taking part in that meeting and I'm willing to do it earlier if others prefer. I would also suggest that anyone coming to the executive meeting read the article linked in JRegs post. It'll take 10-15 minutes and put us all on the same page. Again, I would emphasize doing some real thinking about goals, as everything will revolve around that.

--Jeff

Aquariust
10/27/2001, 10:51 PM
Hey guys is there a mailing list or something?

Also, the membership info page is down on the site.

I'm going to start a new thread for the meeting.

-John