PDA

View Full Version : A Necessary Experiment.....

Scuba Dog
07/10/2004, 10:22 AM
When My Wife and I got back from Monroe late last nite I noticed as I was aclamating some new frags that the bio wheel filter on my puffers 20 gallon had went kaput...I think the pump gave up the ghost on it...I imedialty checked for ammonia and It was non detected then i fillded with the bio wheel tyring my best to get it to work. So It will be a few days to a week before I will be able to make it to a LFS or order a new bio wheel on line, anyway I moved Puffy my Baby striped Dog face puffer into the reef.

Eventualy the ammonia will rise in the 20 and didnt want my lil guy to kick the dust....so far he is doing well in the reef tank, swiming around exploring all the coraline incrusted rock...and the fish arnt picking on him ither...lol he even got cleaned from pepi the cleaner shrimp which I was worred might look like a big fat jucy lobster tail to him....there is a cance he will nip my stony corals or make a meal of them...but Im keeping my fingers crosed that all will be well........the 450 will be here in about two weeks, but It will probally take a month or longer for me to save up to get the rest of the equipment so I can get it up and cycling...

So If he dosent mess with the corals and cleaner shrimp...the lil guy might just be reef safe, untill he gets biger......

Scuba Dog
07/11/2004, 10:38 AM
So far the puffer is doing ok in the reef, havent noticed him munching the corals yet, and all cleaner shrimp are acounted for, he heven lets himslef be cleaned by them! But i did see him this morning puffed up really puffed up for the first time ever....he may have goten to close to the lion.....or got stung by the frogspawn not sure yet........

Scuba Dog
07/12/2004, 01:20 PM
yesterday i noticed that he took a bite out of the leather, and i noticed today a small bite area on my green mota pora capricornis...so far not the news i wanted to share, but its noting serious ither, on a wiered note the bio whell just started working agen, ill pick up another just incase for a back up....ill continue to monitor puffy in the reef tank...if he continues to nip stuff i may move hom back to the 20 but i dont really want to move him around that fast would hate to stress the guy....I suspect he nips the corals for tooth maintance....

Scuba Dog
07/12/2004, 05:52 PM
Well i moved the puffer back to the 20 gallon, had to wasent so mch his niping on the corals, but for the other fish picking on him, the little guy is much mch happier in the 20 gallon now...