PDA

View Full Version : Meeting Ideas

Scott Joniec
07/09/2004, 01:32 PM
I haven't been at this board nearly as long as most of the people here but I have noticed that it seems to be alot of trouble working on a day and location that will work for everyone. Beacuse of this I think alot of time and effort maybe wasted. What I would like to propose is that we put together smaller meeting groups for example a North side of Indy group, South Side and where ever else we see a possibility of 5 or more people coming together monthly. With in these groups we can trade off knowledege frags etc. but the best part is every two months we should aim for a INMAS meeting and try to at least have one of the memebers from each smaller group goto the meeting. That way if the whole group couldn't go you could still have the person going represent you for trades or purchases. These smaller groups maybe able to better negotiate discounts with in their area with local LFS and also provide emergency support if needed.

Thoughts?

DensityMan
07/09/2004, 02:21 PM
Arranging meetings for any size group will usually encounter problems; we're all busy adults with jobs, families and other responisibilities. Fractioning up a group that really just got together doesn't sound like a healthy idea for the club as a whole.

As many jokes as I make about driving to Noblesville, it's just a 25 minute drive. I'm sure I'll make it many more times... ;)

If this were New York or San Diego or even Chicago it might be much worse for us and we might need smaller groups. As it stands currently there are 2 Indianapolis based groups already.

Aside from regular group meetings anyone should feel able to call a random "Come over to my house and lets reef-out" meeting. Why segregate out people who would be willing to drive a few minutes out of their 'side' of town though?

So when are we all getting together at your house for a Southsider meeting? ;)

Scott Joniec
07/09/2004, 02:38 PM
I have a big canopy type thing I could setup in our front yard along with several Heavy duty table that would support some tanks that we could put in the garage so a meeting at my place would be fine. How about next weekend the 17th? I also have a good size grill and cooler. My questions back to everyone that would be interasted are

Uncle bills is 10 minutes walking distance or 2 driving do we want to go by there? Petwarehouse is about 10 min driving with the traffic.

Does anyone else want to have us come by thier place?

If it is only my place can we cordinate several people to bring some food items and drinks? (liquor store is even closer than UB's)

I don't have alot of electical outlets in the garage so we would be limited to two or three tanks if needed. I would need someone to bring equipment.

I live off of Howard Road and Fry its on the southside of the Greenwood mall. More details to follow if we show interest in this but I need to know ASAP cause the wife is allready telling me things I would need to do if this is going to happen.

Scott Joniec
07/09/2004, 02:41 PM
By the way feel free to bring along the spouse's maybe they can start up a "Couping with the Saltwater addiction dependent Club" :)

shaw
07/09/2004, 04:56 PM
"Girlfriends ****ed at Reefer Boyfriends"

Scott Joniec
07/09/2004, 05:16 PM
Thats the differnce between Girl friends and Wives at this point my wife just knows she can't change me. 8)

Seriously though I would like to have this if I see some interest. Anyone that is please e-mail me or respond to this thread by 6:00 pm Sunday 7/11/04.
Thanks!

pinkiron
07/09/2004, 07:29 PM
if it is in the afternoon on the 17 i would attend. let me know what i need to bring.

Scalare102079
07/09/2004, 11:04 PM
Sounds like a great idea. Time is going to be the big issue. But might be a great stepping stone for those just entering the hobby and not willing to go to the "Big Boy" clubs. Could be a great time. ---on a side note, I doubt the wife will come... common phrase from her would be "Are you crazy? I would rather be sleeping!"

playful1
07/10/2004, 07:51 AM
I can come if it is in the evening, being in the resturant business means I work Saturday day and Sunday day...So I miss all the good meetings and frag swaps...So I just swap corals between tanks and pretend...Lemme know the time and I'll see about being there...Thanks

catdoc
07/10/2004, 08:04 AM
So, is the Inland Aquatics thing not happening??

not ecooper
07/10/2004, 08:36 AM
Hehehe...poor Shaw....

Curt's been around ALMOST as long as I've been doing this. I guess he knew he was getting into SOMETHING, but maybe not entirely accurate in his assumptions of what that might be....

When a friend locally took down his frag setup, Curt had thoughts of buying a frag tank. I told him WE'RE GONNA HAVE TO MOVE OUT JUST TO HOUSE ALL OF THE CLOWNFISH. THE ONLY WAY WE'LL GET IT IN HERE IS IF YOU GIVE UP YOUR RECLINER AND TV, NIMWIT.

He still wanted me to ask. Luckily, it was all sold. Whew!

DensityMan
07/10/2004, 08:40 AM
As far as I know the Inland trip is still a 'go' and is being set in its own thread... it is possible to have more than one gathering a month if people want them. ;)

Unfortunately I will not be able to show any Southside pride this month, as I already have plans that consume most of that weekend. Regrets...

Scott Joniec
07/11/2004, 03:51 PM
I think the best idea would be to have it start at 3:00 PM Saturday. I'm still not sure about how many people we have coming. Please let me know if this will work for you. Does anyone have the capability of bringing and setting up the type of tank we would need if anyone wanted to trade frags? If not I still think this would be a great chance to meet other people and exchange ideas. Directions to my house follow

31 and Fry road go WEST on Fry (towards the Galyans store) take a left at Howard (accross from Galayans) go down Howard and turn at your first right (Lawndale) go through the fourway and as the road begins to turn left you'll see Lawndale CT on your right we are at the end of the court only two story white and black house with brick on the bottom.
If anyone needs directions from a little further away please let me know. Also please e-mail me at scottjoniec@ameritech.net if your going to come so I have an idea on who will be there.
Thanks!

MI0706
07/11/2004, 09:12 PM
Scott: I will try and make it (actually me and the wife)... I don't know about Saturday though... Kind of, sort of made plans for Saturday but will see what happens...

I know exactly where you live... I've been in the Greenwood area several times...

shaw
07/12/2004, 07:24 AM
yep, the 24th at noon

reeftechie
07/12/2004, 08:46 AM
Yeppers the 24th at noon is still on at Inland Aquatics in Terre Haute, Indiana.

I will make it to your Southside’s meeting, I will be coming from Brazil Indiana so about 1 hour or so. Let me know what you need me to bring.

I won’t be bringing frags to this meeting, this time. I will be buying some trying to fill up the new 230 :D so bring your SPS please :D

RT

ps

Thanks for hosting this little get together and please come to the Inland Trip the following weekend.

DensityMan
07/12/2004, 01:11 PM
Just turned out that I can't make this meeting, but can make the Inland trip...

Down the road...