PDA

View Full Version : Artifical Sea Water Mix article by Dr. Ron

Steve973
07/08/2004, 02:57 PM
Hello...

I read your article, and I have a few questions. First, it does seem alarming that these salt mixes appear to have led to mortality rates to urchin hatchlings. How closely can we relate these results to soft corals, lps corals, and sps corals? Secondly, I was hoping to see a comparison to Oceanic salt, but I understand that it's new to the market. Do you know of any analyses that compare this new brand of salt to nature? My final questions regards natural sea water. Do you suggest that aquarists should use a natural source, rather than synthetic sources? I wonder about the longevity of the viability of natural sea water. I imagine that organisms die shortly after collection. Any comments?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

rshimek
07/10/2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Steve973

Hi,

IHow closely can we relate these results to soft corals, lps corals, and sps corals?

These are general indications of toxicity, and indicate that delicate animals of all types are at risk.

Secondly, I was hoping to see a comparison to Oceanic salt, but I understand that it's new to the market. Do you know of any analyses that compare this new brand of salt to nature?

No, I don't.

My final questions regards natural sea water. Do you suggest that aquarists should use a natural source, rather than synthetic sources?

Definitely.

I wonder about the longevity of the viability of natural sea water. I imagine that organisms die shortly after collection. Any comments?

Natural sea water that is generally for sale in retail markets is filtered. There is generally very little living in it.