PDA

View Full Version : Ideas For Sand?

schiller2300
07/07/2004, 05:28 AM
I will be in Cozumel for the next week and thought what better chance to get some fresh off the reef substrate to infuse into our tanks. No coral or animals of any kind, just sand with critters.

My problem is: How do I get as much as I can back through the customs inspectors in Mexico? I don't know that they would care about sand - but you never know.

My thoughts are to fill opague shampoo bottles with sand, but I really want something with a larger mouth that wont be so difficult to fill or remove. Any ideas? It has to be something that they wouldn't consider opening.

Feel free to tell me your thoughts on the ethics of what I plan to do. Perhaps I shouldn't at all?

mickey57
07/07/2004, 05:36 AM
....Your thread is going to get axed.We can't conspire to do smuggling on RC.Trust me on this one.I got the axe.Just make sure you get your suitcase before someone else picks it up thinking it "looked like mine".Can't tell the rest of the story:eek:
....Mickey...........

bjpembo
07/07/2004, 09:52 AM
probably an idea you should forget about. getting caught bringing things back will get you a stiff fine, detainment in a foreign country, and possibly jail time.

Scuba Dog
07/07/2004, 04:34 PM
Sand isnt a big a deal there...customs is after dope, wildlife, and fruit, and for bring back too much booze...besides they sell it in the fift shops that is sand and shells.....

Scuba Dog
07/07/2004, 04:35 PM
lol I have brought back tones of the stuff over the years on my towels and mostly my scuba gear......

Scuba Dog
07/07/2004, 04:54 PM
chris if you get a chance definitly go over to the barracuda hotel for some snorkeling...its on the sea side of the main drag just before you get into town right next to the navy base..has a nice beach area with a cabana a simple restraunt that also makes mixed drinks all right there...its a great snorkeling / scuba spot, has steps leading down into the water with hand rails...a gearing up stageing area, all along the pear is cool...and you could just follow the coast line, or follow the little rock path out to the trash pile( a artifical reefs that the local marine biologists study).....and say hellow to jua for me the manager he is a pretty cool guy....

schiller2300
07/07/2004, 05:43 PM
I will definitly make it to the Baracuda. We stayed at the El Presedente last year and they had some great snorkeling. Two of the days we are going to rent a vehicle and just drive wherever the mood strikes us and snorkel. We are going to Hawaii next year and I swear I am going to get around to getting my scuba certificate before that trip. I should have done it before now but I like the freedom of snorkeling with out any time limits. I just wish I could hold my breath better. It wasn't untill late last year that I learned to equalize my ears without a hole ordeal. I will bring back plenty of pictures. I bought a water tight housing for my ditial camera, so I look forward to playing with that. See you on the 17th.

thedogofwar
07/07/2004, 05:45 PM
I was gonna say, I brought back a bottle of sand from peurta valurata (sp) LOL! I know thats way off! in an empty tequilla bottle and nobody even cared.

but for the record, what you're doing is wrong and I can't contribute to your illegal actions! :P

Scuba Dog
07/07/2004, 06:43 PM
Cool chris sounds like your going to have a great time...ps anything below 32 feet whyle scuba diving has no time limits , the only limiting factor is your air consumption, a aluminium 80 around 20 foot of water should last about an hour and a half...its pretty cool on the back side of the island much more surf and surge there....and when it gets dark you can see the lights off of cuba errrrrreeee lol