PDA

View Full Version : 3 Types Of Coral Could Make Endangered Species List

Sir Knight
07/06/2004, 10:20 AM
I found this article on WESH .com about 3 species of corals in the Florida Keys that could make the endangered Species list.
Here is a link to the article
http://www.wesh.com/news/3482669/detail.html

reefstyle
07/06/2004, 07:11 PM
Joe, I spoke to eric borman about his study in houston. He and others saved a piece of the reef in the keys and they are aquaculturing the gulf corals to put them back later.kind of cool along the subject. dennis :D

Sir Knight
07/06/2004, 07:58 PM
I know about Eric's work. He was trying to get donations here on RC awhile back to fund this project. I think if this happens
(corals placed on the endangered Species list) in the Keys they (SPS corals) will be illegal to take even if they are on Aquaculture live rock or not. This could be the start of not being able to collect wild corals here and abroad. I am not saying this is a bad thing. Personally I am glad to see it happen. We as hobbyists and the professional alike kill enough corals and for that matter fish from the wilds for no good reason anyway. I feel in 5 or so years all wild corals will be illegal to collect. Then we will have to rely on farmed corals like we do for most, if not all, our fresh water fish.
:beer:

reefstyle
07/07/2004, 12:12 AM
Basically, What happened is the goverment was going to make room for a inlet in the keys for homeland security and posted if anyone had interested in the corals please come and remove it before it was disgarded or removed. So they loaded some large trucks equiped with tanks and off they went. They now have a very large building full of corals of florida. Just a cool story. Back to the aqua corals, I am starting to practice this more and more each day, I have even setup some large grow out tanks myself.. So long joe.d :D

Sir Knight
07/07/2004, 12:19 AM
Hey glad to here you are starting to grow your own:thumbsup:

Talk to you soon Denny:)