PDA

View Full Version : what salt mix do you use?

the Undone guy
07/05/2004, 12:21 PM
after reading this article...:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/rs/feature/index.htm

im kinda scared that i just bought a 200lb mix of instant ocean salt....what kind of salt do you guys use?

Shak
07/05/2004, 12:55 PM
Bah, I've used IO for 15 years, never had a problem, you'll also notice on most "What salt is best" threads that the overall clear favorite by a margin of about 10 to 1, is IO.

I am going to be do a slow switch to Oceanic though, seems quite a few respected reef central members are changing because of its higher CA content and ease of solubility, and with no CA Reactor (yet), i thought it might help out a bit.

the Undone guy
07/05/2004, 01:23 PM
thanks for your input shak....i wont worry about it for a while then=P

next question though...where's the best place to get some fuji LR? I'm thinking of buying a mix of marshall/tonga/fuji from premium aquatics, heard nothing but good things about them...but i figured i should ask the local crew =)

Shak
07/05/2004, 06:54 PM
Yup, premium aquatics would be my first choice.

TippyToeX
07/05/2004, 06:58 PM
IO is perfect for me. I wish I had the money to Ship in Tropic Marine but the heck with that. :D

Never been disappointed with IO.

Nanighan
07/05/2004, 08:52 PM
I use corallife salt at petsmart. the bag claims high mg and ca. Its true about the ca cause I've tested it, not sure about the mg though.

the Undone guy
07/05/2004, 11:44 PM
nanighan check out that link, has tables with couple different salt mixes telling you how much of each element is included. thanks again, calling premium aquatics tomorrow, its almost complete!

opihi
07/06/2004, 12:13 AM
i also use IO. no problems either.

VegasMike
07/06/2004, 10:48 AM
I have used both coralife and IO, currently using IO. I have never really noticed any difference when using a different salt type, but there are other factors that come into play. I would love to switch over to the Oceanic, but I need to find an economical source. I may ask Jacqui at Tropical Expressions if she can order it. No offense Chris, but you have seen how close my office is to her store...;)

When Jacqui was at Yellow Submarine, she carried Tropic Marin for a while.

liusteven
07/06/2004, 05:46 PM
I am slowly converting from NSW (catalina) to oceanic salt and looks very encouraging! The salt levels are:

Salinity: 1.025
CA: Over 500 (WOW)
DKH: 9 (ok)
Mg: over 1500 (WOW)

Hope they keep it up!

Thanks

Steve

LVfishguy
07/07/2004, 12:05 AM
Not a problem Mike I don't think that we would be looking at carrying another line of Salt anyway unless Lee Mar brings it in to there stock. By the Time we paid shipping the price would be outragous. We already make next to nothing on salt as it is....

We use to carry catalina water a while back and I noticed an unusual amount of diatom algae with it. We switched to a different source and the ocean water we are getting now seems to be much better. It is what I am using in my stores reef tank. Not that it is much to talk about right now but, I have been happy with the water thus far. Since I have taken more control of that tank again things are looking up with it.

P.S. Sorry for all of the sp errors...Just got done working 13hrs on 5 hours of sleep. Gotta love the small buisness!

Shak
07/07/2004, 06:32 PM
So does anyone know of a place to purchase Oceanic here in town? I heard that Petco carries it but I am frightened to go into one of these establishments, they give me nightmares.

sealife
07/08/2004, 07:26 AM
i love oceanic salt i started use it 6 mo ago and all most stoped ading cal /mag see if cris will make a order with cental if we buy a pallet the stores down in az make us a good price if we pay for it first like 35 to 38 for a 200 gal mix

Shak
07/08/2004, 11:04 AM
I got a 90gallon jug last night for $30 at Petsmart, about the same price as IO.

TippyToeX
07/08/2004, 02:53 PM
Matt, where is that pertsmart located? The one up here (last I looked) didn't have it in stock.

anthworks
07/08/2004, 02:58 PM
I have tried Instant Ocean, Reef Crystals and CoralLife. I like the Corallife.

Shak
07/08/2004, 05:11 PM
It was the one on Eastern just before St.Rose Parkway, in the shopping center with the Krispy Kreme factory store.

I got the last one though, hopefully they'll get more in soon. I've also seen it at the one on Stephanie and Warm Springs Road. Also, the Petco on Eastern and Serene had the 50 gallon size for 24.99, and they had one left.

TippyToeX
07/08/2004, 07:45 PM
Thanks! :thumbsup:

Nanighan
07/09/2004, 01:22 PM
Amy I was at the Petsmart by Smiths on the corner of charleston and hualapai, and they have it now. downside is, it was only 2 small bags.

TippyToeX
07/09/2004, 02:46 PM
Wow, thanks for the heads up Ron. :) I was there no more than two weeks ago and they had none. I'll see if I can get them to start carrying the larger tubs.

VegasMike
07/09/2004, 03:27 PM
I want the 200 gallon buckets, for a reasonable price.:D

Justdrew
07/11/2004, 12:24 PM
Hey,

I got the 90 gallon Oceanic jug at 2 Petsmarts. The one at Lake Mead and Rainbow, and also Trop and Ft Apache. $30 for the 90 gallon. Petco is overpirced at $25 for 50 gallon. No sign of 200 gallon buckets yet anywhere. I divided out the cost per gallon and it was about the same buying a 90 gallon jug from Petsmart and having a 200 gallon tub shipped from Premium Aquatics. If we could get a group discount from Jason it would make the 200 gallon pretty attractive.

Later
Drew

dallast
07/25/2004, 12:10 AM
used to use coralife, but now use nsw from jorge at seawater express. my tanks are doing great! attribute beating my horrible hair algae problem to switching over to nsw.

i do a 1/2 gal. water change every other day or so on eclipse 6. works like a charm and no dosing of any product whatsoever! will be fragging my hammer in there shortly, as it is almost growing out of the tank!

dallas

EvilInSin
07/26/2004, 10:57 PM
we got a 50g jug of Oceanic at petco on Craig and MLK. Not too sure if I like it yet or not, we seem to have a problem with keeping the ph up, but that could be something other than the salt.