PDA

View Full Version : For Sale: 300 Gal Acrylic W/Top of the Line Equipment

orionsmamma
07/02/2004, 07:48 PM
Ok..Thanks to Opihi's tip on the fish, I decided to email the gal and find out what kind of equipment she has. She actually bought a house that had a 300 gal aquarium built into the wall, and she does not want it! I wish I had bought that house! This lady knows NOTHING about SW or Reefs, so bear with me on this. None of the eqipment is in my price range right now, but I offered to list this stuff for her, in exchange for a great deal on the rock that she had. Here is the email that she sent me:

I just got ahold of the lady who has been taking care of the fish for the previous owners. So here it goes....all the info she has told me....please forgive the spelling. You were right, the tank isnt real glass, rather plexy glass, chiller(The wall that it was in connects to the garage, so at least this must be a kick but chiller.), new sump pump...massive she said and bought a month ago with Bio balls, wet/dry, large cell poor block, yes it does have an auto top off, no to the osmosis, JBJ power compact with 2 atomic(probly meant actnic) and 2 ultra daylights or fifty fifty that are 96 watts each.
Bonnie

And later:

Donna,
The gentlemen who was cleaning out the tank finally called. He had actually emptied the tank several hours ago, hence everything was already done. He did leave all of the rocks and coral. This man is actually working with the owner of a local salt water store local to town. I did have a chance to ask him about the tank since he is now familar with it. He told me that the fish tank is the finest that is made and knows the person who custom made it and they do the best job around. He told me that if he were to duplicate the tank and everything it come with it would cost anywhere from 15,000 to 20,000 brand new. He did say that due to the pump in the tank the acrylic has minute scratches that can only be seen when the tank is empty...but it wouldnt be considered in prestine brand new condition. He too will keep an ear out for anyone looking for a system but assured me that the owner stopped at no expense and the finest of everything was used for that tank. So there it is from a professional. Im still not too sure what the tank would be worth at this point. The tank itself standing alone he said is 8,000. Hope this helps. Im sorry I couldnt get ahold of him sooner to get you the sand.

Thanks so much for your help and please do keep in touch,
Bonnie

Bonnie is very unsure as to what she wants for this....I myself do not know what to tell to charge for a tank of this size. She is willing to part it out, so if anybody is interested I can forward the info, or you can follow the link through Opihi's post. She is in town, so I suppose you might just want to go over there to see this stuff.

Nanighan
07/03/2004, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the heads up Donna. Although its to rich for my blood!

Shak
07/03/2004, 01:39 AM
300 gallon used acrylic tank, lucky to get a 1-2 grand, brand new from a top-line dealer wouldnt be more than 4k if its rectangular. Its an ATM tank almost certainly, so there are bubbles in the seams, the overflow teeth have micro-chips, it probably has their patented rubberized/epoxy black background, and they paid 3X more than they should have.

If ATM designed the filter system, junk it....although there may be some value to the chiller and pump.

Not trying to be terribly negative, but I havent seen a quality system out of those guys yet. The so-called "professional" really has no clue, unless the tank has solid gold exterior trim.

LVfishguy
07/03/2004, 08:06 AM
I'm glad that someone else said it...

orionsmamma
07/03/2004, 12:18 PM
I agree... I thought she had delusions of grandure on this, but I did offer to list it on here. I thought she might be able to get a couple hundred on the tank if she were lucky. (and what do I know..I could very well be wrong.) I guess she is not going to be here for another month, but she did say she would consider any offers.

sealife
07/03/2004, 09:11 PM
i picked up a 500 gal reef w/ 500lb of live rock 75+ corals 4in sand bed and 4x 400 mh and a chiller for 3,000 she would be good to 1,000 for it

VegasMike
07/03/2004, 11:49 PM
The first thing I thought of was that this guy does service work for ATM. I think I know who it is. It is probably the same guy who wanted to deliver water to me at 50 cents per gallon when I wanted 500 gallons. If she listens to this guy, she is going to be the proud owner of a large empty plastic box.

She will be lucky to get $1,000 for everything,especially here in Las Vegas. All my quotes on my 450 were less than half what the guy told her (except Oceanic, of course, but they were still only $6,000) and I got quotes for both acrylic and glass with delivery included in the price.

opihi
07/04/2004, 12:33 AM
i'd be interested in that tank, depending on it's dimensions. but how do you begin to convince a non-enthusiast about the true value of that equipment? i have a feeling she'd just think i was trying to low ball her. especially since i would not pay $1000 for a used ATM tank.

orionsmamma
07/04/2004, 10:41 AM
She said this in an email: "the person was Craig...who is a part of Tropaquarium with the owner being Dan"

She is trying to get ahold of him, and have him call me. I too am interested in his explanation on this.

what is a used tank of this size worth? $350?

If and when I talk to this guy, I will pass on any info I get.

LVfishguy
07/04/2004, 11:10 AM
Well that is worse in my opinion. Trop sells sea clear tanks. which is made with one of the softest plastics alowable...

orionsmamma
07/04/2004, 03:29 PM
No, I meant that "Craig" is the so called expert.