PDA

View Full Version : new here

greystreet41
07/01/2004, 10:40 PM
greetings, Just feeling my way around here. Aquaman and fishdoc have been accomodating...thanks, I appreciate it. I'll save most of my newbie questions for the "new to the hobby" forum. Looking to begin adding beginner type corals and the like within the next few weeks or so. I'm interested in any beginner specimens you guys may be selling. I'm open to any suggestions and thoughts.
thank ya very much,
Casey

fishdoc11
07/02/2004, 06:54 AM
What does your setup consist of? Lights, sandbed tank size etc...
Chris

greystreet41
07/02/2004, 08:10 AM
chris,

Tank specs are 55 g
2 Penguin 330 filters
remora aqua c with maxijet 1200
2 Profile powerheads (200 gph, 400 gph total)
coral life 2x65w (upgrading it to the 4x65w)
3 "crushed cora
40 lb base rock
15 lb live rock (need to learn how to get more cultured LR in safely)

present specimens:

1 oscellair clown
1 purple pseudo
1 yellow clown goby
1 CBS (he's going back to the LFS)

fishdoc11
07/02/2004, 09:08 AM
If I were you I would phase out the Penguin filters as they are unnecessary in a reef tank and can actualy cause problems with nitrates. Also adding a couple more powerheads for more flow would be a good idea. Both of these could also be accomplished by taking all the media out of the penguins except some carbon, and also removing the biowheels. As far as lighting you might consider a vho retrofit instead of the Coralife pc. You would be able to keep almost any corals you wanted(which you can't well with that amount of PC), bulbs would be cheaper to replace and you would get about 180 more watts for about the same price. I have the Hellolights 4 by 46.5" vho retrofit on my 55 and am very happy with it. Here is a link to Hello lights http://www.hellolights.com Just some suggestions:-)
Chris

greystreet41
07/02/2004, 09:55 AM
thanks chris, with phasing out the penguins what should I look at to take there place? I'm not going to be able to do a sump so I'm limited to HOB? I'll take the advice on powerheads as well. The only consistent answer I seem to get that is consensus is increased water flow, which brings me to what I've gotten 100 answers/ideas on-- lighting. I'll check out the hello lights. thanks a ton.
casey

coralreefing
07/02/2004, 10:07 AM
I agree 100% with Chris on the filters & the lighting. How long has your tank been cycled? If it's ready I have some soft corals that would do good for you.

Here's a list.
Pink capnella (kenya tree)
Colt coral
Xenia ( blue pom pom & zilver balii)
Zooanthids (several colors)

reewik
07/02/2004, 10:07 AM
greystreet41,

I have a devils hand baby for ya! Welcome to the hobby!!!!

greystreet41
07/02/2004, 12:29 PM
thanks other chris :) My tank has been FOWLR for 11 months.

casey

fishdoc11
07/02/2004, 03:06 PM
If you removed the Penguins you wouldn't have to replace them with anything. I have 2 tanks that are sumpless and have done very well. Your live rock, sand and skimmer will take care of your filtration. You might want to leave one to run some carbon in but I wouldn't run it in the cartridges you can buy for it, I would run it in a mesh bag. In any case I would remove the Penguins/biowheels in stages, not all at once.
Chris