PDA

View Full Version : Ok, it is time young grasshopper.

Shak
06/30/2004, 02:19 AM
Almost 2 months now, tank has been cycled since the 6th day (TBS is good stuff), temp is rock solid, all parameters testing optimal, algae growth is under control and tank has the final aquascaping. Lets get some corals in this sucker!

I bought a really cool zoo as well as my little orange spot blennie from GVA last week, but its just not enough. Time to add a few hardier corals, perhaps some SPS frags i dont know yet. Gimme some feedback, SPS keeping was not around back in my day so I need some advice.

Was thinking about some 9 for $99 deals, or a coral pack from liveaquaria, not ready to spend $160+ from reefer madness yet, want to start smaller than those show corals he sells.

Here is the stock list so far:
2 zoo rocks - 15 polyp and 30+ polyp
2 shroom rocks - 6, and 18+
1 small colt coral - 2"
1 RBTA - 4"
2 - misc anemones (free with TBS)
1- Long tentacle anemone (MIA for 2 weeks now)
1 orange spot blennie - 2.5"
1 purple tang - 2.5"
1 mantis shrimp (jeff is the last one to see him though)

Any recommendations? The reason I was thinking of a 9 for $99 deal is to save on shipping as well as starting with an assortment of species and fine tuning my parameters and coral placement skills.

I will probably be adding 3 more fish and calling it good.
GS Maroon - 2" (in quarantine now)
Candy hog - As soon as Chris gets it in.
Fairy or Flasher Wrasse - as soon as I decide on a species.

Thats it for the fish, 5 is enough, may bend to my wifes wishes and get her a royal gramma but im not convinced of that yet.

What do you think?

opihi
06/30/2004, 12:18 PM
i think your wife is going to get what she wants :lol:

wrasses are my favorite fish. unfortunately they're also jumpers, but if you have your tank covered, they make great fish. i saw GVA a sweet laboutei wrasse (http://www.themarinecenter.com/wrasselaboutei.htm) at GVA yesterday.

what kind of corals are you looking for? SPS? LPS? i don't have anything to frag right now, but i can give you a head of green frogspawn (thanks for the mantis :) ).

as for SPS, i'd start out with a couple of Montiporas. i'd ask a certain linkymeister if she's got anything available at the moment.

j

LVfishguy
06/30/2004, 12:42 PM
matt has been checking that wrasse out for a couple of weeks now...you know that you want it matt!

Shak
06/30/2004, 01:37 PM
Yeah, i've been eyeballing that labouti for over a week now, but the price is telling me no (no offense, its a great price). I understand they are at least that expensive from online retailers not including shipping, but I dont know if im ready for a $100+ fish when I have so many corals I want.

I'm doing a mixed reef set-up, but not to mixed. The only other softie I want is a Tonga yellow leather, no more anemones, in fact i will be removing all but the RBTA as the tank starts to fill up a bit more.

The upper 1/3 of tank i'd like to dedicate to SPS, middle 1/3 to LPS, and bottom 1/3 zoos/shrooms and a clam or two. Thats the plan anyway.

I'd love some local frags but i'd feel guilty, im still quite a ways away from having anything to trade back.

opihi
06/30/2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Shak
I'd love some local frags but i'd feel guilty, im still quite a ways away from having anything to trade back.

like i said, i don't have anything fraggable just yet, but if you're willing to wait a month or so, i'd be glad to give you some digi and maybe a frag of an orange cap i have. i personally would hate to see you spend money on a nice acro just to test out the waters.

if you want the tonga yellow leather, the 9 for $99 at Jeff's Exotic Fish (http://www.exoticfish.com) might be perfect for you. they're been getting weekly shipments from Tonga.

TippyToeX
06/30/2004, 03:01 PM
Hey Matt, do you want a brown acro frag to test your SPS ability? :) It's about as dull as it gets but you can pass it on to someone else when you go for the more colorful.

opihi
06/30/2004, 03:11 PM
i like it, the community guinea frag. maybe you could give it an official name like "TippyToex LE Las Vegas Brown Stag". :p

TippyToeX
06/30/2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by opihi
i like it, the community guinea frag. maybe you could give it an official name like "TippyToex LE Las Vegas Brown Stag". :p

http://www.members.shaw.ca/rcsmilies/frech049.gif

I love it!

sealife
06/30/2004, 06:15 PM
what kind of lights do you have? most sps love light and they do best in a tank that have no lps or softie and i would wait at lease 6 mo for most sps

Shak
07/01/2004, 12:20 AM
Jeff: I wasnt talking about the mantis you adopted, but the mystery mantis you saw in the tank that we couldnt catch. Your the last one to see it, havent seen hide nor hair of him since that night.

Amy: I'd love to try a frag of the "TippyToex LE Las Vegas Brown Stag". Let me know when we can get together. Perhaps someday the TippyToex LE Las Vegas Brown Stag will become as famous as the purple monster.

Sealife: Thanks for the input, think i got the equipment part covered. If your interested in my lighting i do have it listed at the bottom of my posts, im sure you'll agree that the lighting is adequate for SPS.

I know about compatability issues, but I would have to disagree that SPS and LPS dont co-exist well together. I do concur about the softies, thats why im going to severely limit the soft corals in the tank (2 total). With adequate filtration (passive carbon), water changes and skimmer I dont forsee having a problem.

I also agree with you on time frame, but I am not a new hobbyist and feel like I have enough of a background and the right equipment to perhaps shave a bit of time off the general newbie time line.

Thanks for the input guys!

opihi
07/01/2004, 12:33 AM
Jeff: I wasnt talking about the mantis you adopted, but the mystery mantis you saw in the tank that we couldnt catch. Your the last one to see it, havent seen hide nor hair of him since that night.

yeah i understood that. anyway, i've read that they can disappear for a week or 2 while molting. maybe that's where he's at.

Perhaps someday the TippyToex LE Las Vegas Brown Stag will become as famous as the purple monster

even better! the TippyToex LE Las Vegas Brown Monster

Shak
07/01/2004, 12:38 AM
Great, so what your trying to tell me is my missing mantis is about to become a much LARGER missing mantis? Thanks alot :)

opihi
07/01/2004, 12:44 AM
hey, don't worry about it. at least you'll have an easier time spotting it!:D

LVfishguy
07/01/2004, 01:31 AM
maybe our next meeting needs to be a mantis search party at Matt's house!

Nanighan
07/01/2004, 01:56 AM
Matt I got a frag you can try out, its a yellow porites. I have 4 pieces that I just fragged out cause the mother colony doesn't seem to be doing to well. all frags look fine so far so if anyone else wants one, let me know.

TippyToeX
07/01/2004, 08:02 PM
TippyToex LE Las Vegas Brown Monster

http://images.snapfish.com/33%3A%3B962323232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D7%3A9%3D%3B63%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3C%3A5%3A8%3B44ot1lsi

Oh yeah baby, you know you all want it bad. :lol:

Nanighan
07/01/2004, 11:47 PM
Good Lord its SOOOO FREAKING BROWN!!!!:eek2:

NIce pic too Aim.

opihi
07/02/2004, 01:40 AM
we can always fund the club by putting that bad boy on ebay for $1000.

I do think you need to work on your marketing pitch there Amy. "Insanely intense brown stag with super green tint"

Nanighan
07/02/2004, 01:48 AM
C'mon guys, brown corals need love too! ;)

TippyToeX
07/02/2004, 02:50 PM
Haha, it is awful brown isn't it? My friend Clair calls it the turd stick of the tank. :lol:

Jeff I think it would make a killing if it were something like..

Insanely intense brown stag, with electric green tint. So sexy it will whisper sweet nothings into your ear at night. Everyone is after it, do not miss this golden opportunity!!

I'll put a reserve cap on eBay for like $4k Just think Matt, it could be yours!

Nanighan
07/03/2004, 12:53 AM
lol
Amy you should post it on the sps forum, and I'll pretend to want one real bad and beg you for a frag, and watch the sheep come follow. hehe

the Undone guy
07/03/2004, 01:16 AM
man i need to get my tank up so you guys can give me frags, i'd take a poo stick frag =)

LVfishguy
07/03/2004, 08:08 AM
with a name like that I might have to set up a SPS tank so I can get some too! Everyone wants a piece of the brown poo stick monster!