PDA

View Full Version : Barn Raising/tank Raising

reefyguy
06/28/2004, 04:12 PM
I for one would like to donate my time to anyone needing help moving or setting up the plumbing on a new/existing tank around the greater metro area. I think we all can think of a time when we needed the help of othrs in this hobby. It is kind of like the amish do when putting up a new barn where everyone helps. Food or beer can be provided (or not) to those who are helping out. This can help provide networking as well as further promote the inmas club. I wore out my friends moving my 125 and getting my 200 in my house. It really takes someone who understands the hobby to make a successful move or setup possible. My biggest setbacks other than putting a hole in my brand new home when i set up my 200. see below
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/22373DSC00010_03-med.jpg

was the plumbing......I really needed a second person to make the job go easier. My fiancee supports my habit but did not get into the whole setting up procedure. She really disliked the smell of pvc cement. My next step is to fix the ghetto electrical setup as seen above. In short, I would like to see a support group per say of those willing to help out a local reefers in need.

ed

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/22373shot1.jpg

cwegescheide
06/28/2004, 04:21 PM
Hey ReefGuy,

I would be happy to help and I am sure most of the other local reefers would do the same. Several local people offered their assistance when I was out of town and had a small crisis with my reef. I was pretty amazed.

Beer is always a good motivator too!! :)

Chris

overflowin
06/28/2004, 04:55 PM
i can help you out with your electrical needs...just ran a dedicated circuit for my tank...no fires yet ;)

mmmmmmmmm, beer

donnie

reefyguy
06/28/2004, 05:00 PM
lol
thanks for the offer. my fiancee's dad works for cinergy so I have a guy coming out to help me with that. I am going to have to run a dedicated circuit and put some electrical outlets up higher than normal

overflowin
06/28/2004, 05:29 PM
well, if you or anyone else needs help with anything let me know... i am getting ready to put together my 75 and move everything from my 40, so i'll probably need some help myself at some point.

donnie

matt the fiddler
06/28/2004, 08:29 PM
i am currently moving- and in in dept to James :) will be bouncing aroudn town adn out of town- post the dates you will be having a party- and i will see if i can make it

Scott Joniec
06/28/2004, 10:58 PM
I'm only going on 5 months old into this but if there is anyway I can help I'd like to just to gain the experience and hey I wouldn't want any Beer to goto waste either.

krdill
06/29/2004, 08:55 AM
I am currently in process of finishing my basement so that I can set up my 220. I have pulled two 20 amp circuits for system - three 400W MH and a Sequence 5800 are the big consumers.

Should I put in any more?

Thanks
Kevin

DensityMan
06/29/2004, 09:22 AM
I'd love to volunteer for heavy-lifting/plumbing work (and now that I know who to call for electrical work Donnie's phone will be much used) ;)

This is a great idea and there is so much truth to the non-reefers just not getting into the spirit of things. I've moved tanks Four times (never bigger than a 29 thankfully... before this tank anyway *gulp*) and even the small tanks are a pain and involve much worrying and fretting...

Moving tanks with reefers would be much more 'fun' and calming...

Beer IS a great motivator... :D

reefyguy
06/29/2004, 10:04 AM
what i have learned about reefers.....if you have beer you can get them to do just about anything.

Scott Joniec
06/29/2004, 12:03 PM
I think this is a Great idea, I know I will hopefully be buying a new house in the next year ow two and was really concerned about moving the tank(s) What I would suggest is that we figure out if everyone is serious about this and if so I know I would probably need at least a week or two notice just to clear it with the wife. It sounds as if we could have a couple of projects now

overflowin
06/29/2004, 12:26 PM
good point...wife clearance is an issue with me too. but with 2 weeks notice she won't be *too* irritated.

donnie

Scott Joniec
06/29/2004, 12:32 PM
Kinda gives you the time to make special arrangments with her the week before or at least allows her time to make arrangments before we head out of the house. Again I am really interasted at this point I would have no idea how to even setup a sump so I would like to learn how this works. I am looking into upgrading my 45 gallon tank to a 110-120 in the next 4 months so this would be great experience helping others move or setup theirs.

emurray
06/29/2004, 07:26 PM
I too, am new to the hobby (currently cycling my first marine tank, had FW for awhile). I would love to help with the labor intensive stuff, as that would probably be all the help I could offer as a newbie. Most of all, I think it would be a fair use of my time... just hanging out with other reefers and getting to ask questions/witnessing the "large tank set-up process" would be extremely beneficial to me.

On a kind of related topic, I am a graphic designer by profession and might be able to put my skills to use for the club in the form of maybe putting together a club webpage and/or literature in the future. Just a thought.

castor
06/29/2004, 07:40 PM
Too bad I don't live closer to Indy, or I'd be in to help whenever free. I also have something that makes transporting fish/inverts/corals a lot better. It's a transformer that plugs into your cigarette lighter and puts out 110v (or your outlet type of plug in). It will put out as much as I think 175w with a 250w peak. With that you can plug in a couple small PHs and keep decent circulation in your buckets (or whatever you have them in).

This I is a really good idea though, I think I will mention it to the Fort Wayne MAS.

If anyone scheduals something like the same day of a meeting that I am going to I would be happy to help out though. Also really good at any plumbing setups, have built all my sump/filter/plumbing setups for all my tanks myself and have a little background in plumbing.

matt the fiddler
06/29/2004, 08:09 PM
castor- i jsut picked up a power inverter from CostCo $25 400 watt. 800 watt peak :)

jcoleman_3
06/29/2004, 10:59 PM
mmmmmm..... beeeer. Beer and Quizno's, now there's a good incentive!

matt the fiddler
06/29/2004, 11:07 PM
james- have you not yet changed your avitor to strongbad?

overflowin
06/29/2004, 11:11 PM
matt... just a little "buyer beware" from a friend in the mobile electronics industry: just because it says 400 watt, doesn't really mean 400 watt...there are no laws or governing bodies that have regulated that aspect of power ratings. if it plugs into the cigg lighter i wouldn't think it would be 400 continuous. that would draw more current than your 10 or 15 amp cig lighter fuse would allow, when loaded of course.

just keep an eye on it...if it blows your fuse or gets hot, its over loaded.

donnie

matt the fiddler
06/29/2004, 11:24 PM
thnks :)
1- i have tons of spare fuses...
2- i have already checked my adaptors capicity out....

i am not putting over 150 watts through my current fuse box. if i push that it goes directly to the battery... but to have 400 watts camping is niiice :)

and considerign my parents paid $40 for their 60 W a few years back- that was a good buy

matt the fiddler
06/29/2004, 11:44 PM
wrong thread

jcoleman_3
06/29/2004, 11:54 PM
Doh!! didn't even think of him!!! Homer's still the man, though...