PDA

View Full Version : The best Welcome Home surprise EVER!

Geogal17
06/28/2004, 02:48 PM
Hi Y'all

Just got back from Florida! It was hot, muggy, and the people at Seaworld don't have a clue about marine fish whatsoever, but it was still fun.

I just had to share my exciting surprise when I got home:

We have a small in tank refugium that has some cheato in it. As soon as I walked in the door the first thing I did was check on the tank to make sure my inlaws didn't accidentally kill anything. lo and behold, who should be TRAPPED in the box but my big, evil, blue devil damsel. :lol:

I have no idea how he did it, the box is full of cheato, the rim is less than 1 inch below the sirface of the water, and its only opening is the open top- but somehow my 5 inch damsel manages not only to get himself into the box, he squirmed his way under the cheato, this trapping himself in a "net" of cheato. :D It was a piece of cake to just take out the box and transfer him to the tank currently acting as a " sump".

It really amuses me because I have been trying for weeks to get that PITA fish out of my tank, but as soon as he even sees the green net in my hand he freaks and hides, or worse, frantically panics and knocks over everything in the tank. I've tried everything to catch that fish short of removing all the live rock, and I was actually planning on having the hubby help me with that once we were back. But I guess the little rascal got a little too curious about what was in that box in " his" territory. I guess he had to do a Shamu type jump to get in the box, because I really can't imagine how else he got in there.

:beer:
Heres to the sheer stupidity of my fish!

Salt Creep
06/28/2004, 08:59 PM
Congratulations! :)

pploco
07/02/2004, 11:07 AM
Sure wish I could catch my stupid damsel. "Here, buy this cheapie - they can survive a cycle - reef safe? SURE!" was the "advice" I got from the LFS.

Now this dumb thing is killing my favorite hammer coral. :mad:

fish @ chips 29
07/12/2004, 08:03 PM
poor fish i like the yellow tail damsel fish i have had one in my 12 gal. for a year with no prob. dono why he has such a bad rap its the only fish that wont die after 6 months lol. he or she and my cleaner shrimp are good buds for long time now.

Dz99ls
07/12/2004, 08:06 PM
awsome!

Geogal17
07/12/2004, 08:52 PM
Damsels are pretty good fish on their own- they are really hardy, they aren't picky about food, and most are pretty colorful.

The problems start when you want to have fish OTHER than damsels in your tank- then let the war begin! :lol:

pploco
07/13/2004, 11:33 AM
I finally caught the little b@$%#! and after a few days my corals look better than they ever have. Good riddence I say.

Now for a new fish!

fish @ chips 29
07/13/2004, 08:58 PM
well i dono i think every fish must be a bit diffrent. I.M.I i had a flame in there with him that keep him in line all the time. that was b4 the flame got a wild hair up its butt and thought it had wings if you know that i mean. well i like the damsel but thats just me...