PDA

View Full Version : New on the south side of indy

Scott Joniec
06/26/2004, 12:27 AM
Hey I've just been bitten by the bug ( 4 months in now) and want to know more people on the south side of Indy. That either I could help or could help me. Currently my setup is as follows.

45 Gallon SW Tank
Acua C remora Pro with Mag 3 Drive
150W Heater
two submersible pumps
JBJ formosa DX 96X2 lighting
55 lbs of live rock
4" sand/shell substrate

7 Turbo Snails
4 Blue Hermits
4 Pepermint Shrimp
1 Brittle Star
1 Emerald crab
1 Flame Scallop
4 Green Chromis
1 Tiger gobbie
1 Black Citron Goby
1 mated pair of Percula Clowns
1 clown Goby
1 Medium Yellow Leather
1 Bubble Coral
1 group sunpolyps
3 Xenia groups
1 small Sarcophyton
1 Bistro
1 white finger leather

Jeremy B.
06/26/2004, 08:12 AM
I live on the south side in Franklin township, let me know if you never need help with anything. I currently do not have a tank at home, but am getting ready to start setting up a new one this weekend / week.

Scalare102079
06/26/2004, 12:47 PM
Hail fellow southsiders! SR37/southport rd. Southern Dunes.

Scott Joniec
06/28/2004, 02:11 PM
Hey just curious if youw two would want to meet up weekly or bi weekly and go by Uncle Bills and Petwarehouse? Maybe you know another place on the southside with decent SW species. Jeremy, I am assuming you work at Pemium Aquatics? This maybe a bit redundant as I'm sure if you work around this all day maybe it takes something away from it. I still enjoy weekly seeing what comes in and curious to see what others are working with and the success they have. I know that there are many other south siders out there maybe we could get some type of a small club going?

dmits41
06/28/2004, 08:59 PM
I'm on the south side - Combs and Stop 11. (Combs is the one after Arlington when traveling east.) I work in the same plaza as Uncle Bill's in the Gamestop so it wouldn't be tough to get down there.

Scott Joniec
06/28/2004, 11:07 PM
Hey Jeremy I know you haven't responded but I'm sure the rest of us would love to follow along with the setup of your tank. I keep telling my wife I should get a PT job at one of the local LFS and they can just pay me in products or is that the wife keeps telling me if I don't quit spending so much $$ on this I will have to. What are your thoughts Scalare? All I know is I think I have talked my wifes ear off and she is sick about hearing about "Today in the tank" (to the tune of this one time at band camp)

Jeremy B.
06/29/2004, 09:30 AM
Yes, I do work at Premium. I am completely addicted to reef tanks, so it seems I never get tired of them, however I do like my time away. We just recently moved, in which I did have a 120gal sps/clam system. I sold that and am now planning a 58gal exotic LPS/Soft coral tank. I also have a 46gal sps/clam tank in my office.

Scott Joniec
06/29/2004, 12:17 PM
Jeremy, I would be really intereasted in your placement of corals, Gluing LR to base pieces, and understanding more on fragging. I would also like to see some of your meathods of feeding if you plan on including bubble corals, Sun Corals, and anthing else that also eats meat products

Jeremy B.
06/29/2004, 12:24 PM
Once I am up and running you're more than welcome to come over whenever you want.

Scalare102079
06/29/2004, 03:00 PM
My wife just tells me that I am insane and that my hobbies are too expensive... I tell her that it is better to have a hobby like this rather than drink the money away :) working at an LFS has its perks though---you can watch livestock you are interested in to see how they are faring, you can order the stuff you want and you usually can get a good discount on it! Take Jeremy's thread on how he is going to setup up an "exotic LPS/softie tank" he has plenty of ordering capability! PLUS, if he gets something in he is not crazy about--he puts it out in the store to sell. talk about your win/win situations!

matt the fiddler
06/29/2004, 05:27 PM
"I also have a 46gal sps/clam tank in my office."

is that any way to describe that tank "a tank"? shame on you jeremy for not mentioning it has the most coveted corals around, and is the model for all of us.... :)

btw- has the teal acro touched the surface? i remember you saying something like you would cut it up once it did.....

and it was close last time i was up..

DJPB
06/29/2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by matt the fiddler

btw- has the teal acro touched the surface? i remember you saying something like you would cut it up once it did.....

and it was close last time i was up..

Youre in line too, huh? I guess it's worth the wait, that is definately one of the nicest acros I've ever seen.
Jeremy - what's up man? We've been waiting patiently for a year now. Break out the knife and superglue man!!

Jeremy B.
06/29/2004, 11:21 PM
Man oh man.....I have so many people in line for a piece of that it's not even funny! lol That piece is about 1/8" from being out of the water, kinda cool I think. I will be fragging about 2-3 pieces of that coral VERY VERY soon, probably in the next two weeks, so stay tune! ;)

matt the fiddler
06/29/2004, 11:31 PM
hey- remember who made your webpage look sweet. you could help make my tank look sweet :)

you need any help setting up or moving your new tank? =Þ

Scott Joniec
06/29/2004, 11:37 PM
Hey my thead has ICH. 8) just kidding! Anybody else on the Southside that might be interasted in checkin out new stock at local stores, maybe some trading when I understand more about how it is done and maybe just checking each others tanks out and helping out if possible?

matt the fiddler
06/29/2004, 11:55 PM
the general attitude of most everyone i have talked to in INMAS is for INDMAS is to help newcomers get stocked up/ and to successfull death free tanks via us supporting them in trades and cheap sales.. not to drain their account at the LFS for $50 for a GSP- and $30 for a stalk of sickly xenia, etc [premium is not a LFS- they are bulk mailorder =Þ] so let us know what you are interested in.. i can tell you now, i got some GSP that James is keeping for me- that i would get rid of for almost nothing, and a ton of others like danny [jsut was at his place this weekend], shawn, etc.- [and some not near freakin noblesville] got a load of softies perfect for the beginning reef...... :) then once you start growing out- then you can start trading :)

Scott Joniec
06/30/2004, 12:14 AM
Ok now see, being a newbiee GSP is where you begin losing me. I am planning on waiting until I get a larger tank with Metal halides before I get any hard/stony corals. The ones I have listed above are doing pretty good. I understand about what your saying about the prices at the LFS. I still like checking the new stuff out just to get a better idea of whats out there. I'm not sure what else I have room for at this point either. I have seen tanks with what appears to be hundreds of corals but I'm not sure about the placement. So far I have found that with fish you may get 2 or 3 differnt opinions of what is ok together. When you start talking corals you end up getting so many far out answers that you don't know what to belive. One thing I have been looking for is another possible host for my clowns. I tried the Anemone route and decided that I should have listed to alot of people and waited until I have my tank at least a year. Since then my two Percula's have taken up home in my Xenia which is cool but they don't seem happy when the xenia retract in the evening. Personally I'd like to get some help gluing some of my corals to my rocks as well as somone with experience to give my tank a good look over and see what changes they would make.

matt the fiddler
06/30/2004, 12:18 AM
GSP- green star polyp- one of the hardier corals you can start with

my clown hosts a Colt coral... till they got separated this week due to moving conditions... reallllllllly liek that as a host.. mine is 13" tall too. and i personally like the 50-1 coral to clown ratio

matt the fiddler
06/30/2004, 12:21 AM
BTW- how is your sunpolyp doing? and what are you doing to maintain that?

Scott Joniec
06/30/2004, 12:21 AM
ok I've seen that before. Does that spead by itself to other rocks?

Scott Joniec
06/30/2004, 12:23 AM
How do I post pic's to this site? I have several. The sun polyp gets most of its food by cyclopeeze about every 3 days I also try to give it some mysis shrimp every week. Again I have some pics if I knew how to post

Scott Joniec
06/30/2004, 12:27 AM
Also another Question if you don't mind I got a pair of Sarcophyton's or I think toadstool is what they are also called. Anyway they are both on a small 3" rock right next to each other If I can get a pic posted I you will see what they look like. For the sake of being polite and I don't know who all will be reading this I'll let you make up your own mind. Anyway I am wondering if they should be seperated in order to grow better?

matt the fiddler
06/30/2004, 12:29 AM
"Does that spead by itself to other rocks?"

not if you are smart and put in spacers for it to grow on

Scott Joniec
06/30/2004, 12:32 AM
Regarding the GSP so you introduce a small spieces to your existing tank and then more or less setup the bondries that you want it to grow in?

matt the fiddler
06/30/2004, 01:22 AM
yea- or large pieces.. it grows ... then you frag and sell or trade :)

Scott Joniec
06/30/2004, 01:26 AM
Sounds cool, Yea I'd like to get some if your ever on this side of town.

DensityMan
06/30/2004, 08:33 AM
Something you should learn early Scott, the Noblesvillians don't leave Noblesville... there's an invisible boundary or something...

:lol:

Seriously though, welcome aboard!

Grew up on the Southside and used to work for UB's across from Greenwood (as Chevy). Living on the Eastside these days and would love to help when and where I can.

Rgarding how to post pictures, there are now only two ways here:
- the first way is to post the pic to your RC gallery provided here (http://www.reefcentral.com/gallery/?s=&menu=5)
- the second, more versatile, way is to post pictures to your own web domain or to a free-picture-hosting site like Snapfish (http://www.snapfish.com/toursharing/t_=0)

Then either just post a link in the text of your message directly or use the [ IMG]www.mywebspace.com/picturename.jpg[ /IMG] tags/code (with the spaces removed from inside the tags).

Hope that helps...

Scott Joniec
06/30/2004, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the info on pic posting. I've got my pictures down to 64K and I guess I need them down to 50K or less to post can anyone suggest some shareware to reduce the size of my pic's?

How do you setup the spacers regarding the GSP? I'm sure I have a rock I wouldn't mind if it covered and I understand that it should be higher up in your tank so what is the best way to accomplish both tasks?

matt the fiddler
06/30/2004, 02:59 PM
basicly super glue any coral that will grow wiht a spacer inbetween- how ever big the spacer is, is how fast the coral grows... so it does not attach to your main rock...

Scott Joniec
06/30/2004, 03:04 PM
Spacer being another coral? Also (ok I am really going to show my lack ok knowledge now) with several of the speices of coral that should not be taken out of the water how do you superglue them together? I'm assuming normal superglue may also contain products that are not good for the tank.

matt the fiddler
06/30/2004, 03:10 PM
spacer being live rock rubble $1.50 a pound at premium

most corals can go a little time out of water..

LOL james an di found GSP lives what was it - a good 30-50 mins out? LOL the sump got a little low aclmaiting my tank.....

Scott Joniec
06/30/2004, 03:21 PM
All of my corals are more or less just sitting or some how weged (a few with rubber bands) amoungst my rocks. So this is something I really need to get down to doing but I want to make sure that what I put together will be ok next to each other as well as allow enough space for growth and the right height in the tank.

jcoleman_3
07/02/2004, 01:56 AM
ha... i think that rock of GSP was above water for an hour.... and it's still doing great!! Scott- whereabouts do you live? I live downtown but work at Southport & Emerson. I'm holding Matt's corals for the moment and have at least one frag for you... Let me know what time's good and we'll figure something out.

Scott Joniec
07/02/2004, 01:59 AM
Hey if I could meet you at work and pick it up that would be great! Matt said between $5-$7 seven is fine. what hours do you work? I could come by tommrrow and be there when you get there if thats ok?

jcoleman_3
07/02/2004, 02:00 AM
oh.. and speaking of this group locally.... a bunch of hoodlums, all of 'em! Ha... I've never met a bunch of guys more willing to help eachother. Whether you're trading, buying, stealing, or just talking, this group is truly in love with their hobby!

Scott Joniec
07/02/2004, 02:02 AM
I think it would be in the best interest of my marriage if I find someone else to talk with about it. Not that my wife minds but it seems like no matter what she says my next words are something to do with the tank

jcoleman_3
07/02/2004, 02:04 AM
tomorrow would be fine... I own the Quizno's at Southport & Emerson. I'm usually busy on Fridays, so please don't get mad at me if i can't chat long (especially during lunch)... I'll be there till 4:30/5ish...

Scott Joniec
07/02/2004, 02:05 AM
No problem, when do you go in so that I don't have the frag sitting in a bag to long?

jcoleman_3
07/02/2004, 02:13 AM
I'll be there by 9:30.

Scott Joniec
07/02/2004, 02:15 AM
You don't have any zoo's by any chance?

Scott Joniec
07/02/2004, 02:30 AM
Hey I'm crashing for the night if you do have any zoo's that might be any color other than brown I would be interasted in those too. I should be there between 9:30-10:30. Thanks I appreciate you bring them down.

jcoleman_3
07/02/2004, 07:21 PM
Let me know how everything does, Scott. I'll have to try and make it over to see your system some time. It was good to meet you this morning.

-James

doggy_
07/04/2004, 08:24 PM
Does everyone live down here now? Cool!! I'm at Combs and Shelbyville Rd. in the Bunker Hill addition. I just got into corals myself a few months ago. Here's a picture of my tank! Glad to here South Siders Rule!!! Flame Angle Courtesy of Premium Aquatics

Mark

http://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/is.php?i=130597&img=7307Tank_Redo.jpg http://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/is.php?i=130600&img=1313Flame_Angel.jpg

Scott Joniec
07/06/2004, 03:52 PM
Mark,

Yes, it appears we have more people on the southside than I was hoping for maybe we can start to stucture some type of get together? Anyone have any ideas?

Also thanks going out to Matt and James the GSP, Zoo's and Xenia are doing great!

gobygoby
07/09/2004, 12:40 PM
Hey I just found this thread, I live down on the southside at southport and madison in Homecroft. I have a 65 gal with a 25 gal prop tank and VERY soon setting up my 180 "ongoing" project

let me know if you need anything

Kyle
gobyfish04@aol.com

Scott Joniec
07/09/2004, 02:42 PM
If your following this thread please read meeting ideas