PDA

View Full Version : Anybody in the Wheeling WV / Washington PA Area???

ndml
06/25/2004, 12:12 PM
Hi,

I just got into the hobby (and I'm broke already) but I live about 5 minutes from Wheeling.

Does anybody know of anyone around here that would be interested in swapping stuff, etc.

I don't have much stuff yet, in fact, I don't even have lighting (just the standard stock light w/ 20000 k bulbs) but I'd like to get things moving.

Thanks!

holeinone1972
06/25/2004, 12:55 PM
If you feel like a trek to west mifflin pa 15122

I would be willing to give you a couple pieces.

Do you have anything to trade?

Rob

ndml
06/25/2004, 02:35 PM
Actually, I don't have anything to trade right now. I guess I was just trying to see if there was anyone in the area who I might be able to work with sometime.

Right now, in my 55 I only have 50 lbs of LR, a 1 inch sand bed, a few fish, 2 feather dusters, 3 shrimp, and a pom pom crab.

I have no refugium (I'd like to get a HOB CPR AquaFuge). . . just a uv sterilizer, cpr bakpak skimmer, and some powerheads.

And, my biggest problem is the lighting. But my tank borders on 80 degrees with just the strip light 20000k. I would like to get vho bulbs, but that will probably boil my water!:confused:

And of course, as I said, not very much money left, certainly not $600.00 for a chiller. Are there any corals/mushrooms that would be nice under low low light?

I originally wanted to get a rose bubble tip anemone. The guys at Wet Pets told me I only needed strip lights w/ 20000 k bulbs, so that what I bought . . . but after finding RC, I have come to understand that isn't going to work . . . AHHH!

I guess I'm just frustrated. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the reply.

jjmg
06/25/2004, 02:46 PM
Sorry to jump into your clubs thread, but I saw Wheeling and your from Ohio so I had to say hi. I grew up in Mingo and I never see anyone on here from around there.

Welcome to the addiction of reefing. You could keep some mushrooms under your current lights especially high up in the rocks. I'd think about holding off and saving for the lights though.

If you build a hood and add a fan the VHO won't be so bad and if your at all handy you can use one of the new ballasts that is out ( diyreef.com or hellolights.com ) that only runs around $35 for the ballast. You'd need the endcaps and the bulbs to go with that.

It's not to hard to do. PM me if you want any more info on it.

holeinone1972
06/25/2004, 02:47 PM
There are a few low light corals out there like shrooms, xenia and others.

Turn your heater down, what do you have it set at?

Do you have air conditioning?

Rob

jjmg
06/25/2004, 02:52 PM
By the way 80 isn't really that bad. I try to keep mine at 80.

ndml
06/25/2004, 03:15 PM
Wow! You guys are quick.

I saw Wheeling and your from Ohio so I had to say hi. I grew up in Mingo and I never see anyone on here from around there.
I agree it is nice to see someone from around here. I've been on this board since shortly after I started my tank in February and I've never seen anbody local. I sent you a pm.

Turn your heater down, what do you have it set at?

I have the heater set at 77 Degrees. The temperature raises to 80 throughout the day.

I live in an old house. I have window a/c. I run them when I'm home for the day, but not usually when I'm gone. (NO thermostat like central). The tank lights kick on around 1:00 PM and run till 10:30 PM. By the time I get home at 5:30 the temp is usually right about 80. I kick on the A/C it comes back down to 77/78.

I'm worried that if I got any stronger lights that it would definitely produce more heat than the current lights.

Would any anemone survive under low light?

Thanks again to everyone!

holeinone1972
06/25/2004, 03:22 PM
I would not do a rose or any other without vho's at least.

I don't think they will add that much heat to your tank, especially if you put a fan to run across them.

I have lots of roses if you are interested.

Rob

ndml
06/25/2004, 03:39 PM
Is that temp fluxuation of 2/3 degrees harmful?

If I can get that ballast and stuff like jjmg was suggesting would 220 watts be sufficient?

I have the standard wooden perfecto canopy. Do you think 2 fans mounted in the open backside would be sufficient?

And when that all works out would you be open to me swinging up to take a look at the roses? Do you have anything else you'd want to sell? I'd like some easy corals.

I also need a cleanup crew. I'd like to some snails, hermits, and some other crabs, if you've got anything you want to get rid of.

Thanks again!

holeinone1972
06/25/2004, 05:51 PM
I have a few hermits just a couple but you can have them if you can find them. LOL

220 watts vho along with feedings should be good, they are tough as nails, and I have had themn for going on 2 years.

I have other easy corals also.

Rob

ndml
06/25/2004, 10:48 PM
Awesome! I just got the info I needed for the ballast. I'm gonna order it on Monday. (I thought I was gonna have to fork out about $250.00 for an IceCap 660 and end caps but I should be able to get everything for about $100.00.)

What type bulbs do you suggest? 1 super actinic and 1 12000k??

Thanks!

Nomad37
06/26/2004, 07:21 AM
Ndml, install a fan on one of the sides pulling the air in and not out. This will help with salt building up on the fan. Cut another hole on the other side for the air to exit. Also, you could install a heavy duty timer on that window unit so that it comes on with the lights. The timer is will not cost much. Try it on the weekend so you can watch the changes and adjust if needed.

Nomad37

holeinone1972
06/26/2004, 07:24 AM
1 actinic 1 10 k would be my choice.

Rob

ndml
06/26/2004, 08:00 AM
Ndml, install a fan on one of the sides pulling the air in and not out. This will help with salt building up on the fan. Cut another hole on the other side for the air to exit. Also, you could install a heavy duty timer on that window unit so that it comes on with the lights. The timer is will not cost much. Try it on the weekend so you can watch the changes and adjust if needed.

Great Suggestions. I'll check at Lowes and see if I can find a HD timer. And thanks for the instructions on the Fan! I would have never thought about the salt.

Thanks again!

ndml
06/26/2004, 08:03 AM
I can only find three bulb choices from URI. The first is super actinic r, the second is 12k 50/50 actinic white, and the third is the aquasun.

I read something before about staying away from from the aquasun. Are there other URI's that I'm missing?

Thanks!1 actinic 1 10 k would be my choice.

jjmg
06/26/2004, 09:53 PM
The aquasun has a slightly pink color to it that some people don't like.

If your going to go with just two bulbs you may want to think about just going with two actinic whites. They will give you a nice white color. If you have room inside your hood I'd leave your two no bulbs in there also. That's another 80 watts for free and the 20000k bulbs should be giving you a nice blue color.

Also make sure the people at HD know what you want the timer for, I'm not to sure about using a timer on something that draws as much as a AC is a good idea. Better safe than sorry.

John

ndml
06/26/2004, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the suggestion on the bulbs.

As for the timer . . . I was thinking about that too. I will check with a friend of mine who is an electrician and see what he says. You are right . . . better safe than sorry. I don't want the house burning down!

I do like the idea of the timer, though, if its going to be safe. It would probably keep the tank temp more stable. And then if I'm going away for the weekend I wouldn't have to worry at all.

I'll let you all know what I find out!

Thanks!

vijaysub
06/26/2004, 10:37 PM
Hey jjmg,

I grew up in Logan...Close to mingo.

ndml: I agree with nomad about the fan, I threw a couple of computer case fans which I put a resistor on to turn the noise down on a 75 with 2 110 VHO and 2 175 MH and my tank temp stays at 77.

We do have central air and keep the house at 74F so that does have a good bit to do with it.

By the way I have an unused Aquasun if you are interested.

Vijay

ndml
06/26/2004, 10:42 PM
By the way I have an unused Aquasun if you are interested.

Thanks for the offer, but I just ordered the bulbs I need about an hour ago.

I'm looking forward to getting it all set up now. Hopefully I'll be able to keep that temp down.

Thanks!