PDA

View Full Version : Hey South Texas!!!!!!!

adshuraj777
06/25/2004, 10:04 AM
I just started this thing in hopes of getting some local folks in touch, if you're out there please respond!

C-YA!

Oldman06
06/25/2004, 10:26 AM
Hi. Am new to the saltwater tank "addiction" for about six months, tank doing well thus far and live in San Antonio. If you haven't yet, check out www.maast.org

adshuraj777
06/25/2004, 10:31 AM
Hey thanks for hopping on board. I'm from SA but have been away in school for the last few years in tennessee and they have a great forum on reefcentral, alot of folks got together and we ordered things together and helped each other out, hoping we could get something like that going here.

I've got a 90g, just setup after the move a month ago, sold everything back to the LFS in tennessee instead of risking the goods on the long move.

Nice to meet ya!
Adam

Oldman06
06/25/2004, 10:49 AM
Thanks -- welcome home. I used to do freshwater (african ciclids) and when we moved in Jan of this year I decided to do saltwater. Gave my old tank and "stuff" to my son and bought a 70 gal, glass bowfront, corner tank with stand. Have a 36" 192W (2-96W) PC for lighting. Do not have a sump - use a AquaC Remora Pro HOT skimmer, 350 Mag canister filter, and three powerheads. Started out with "semi-cured" live rock, then added living sand, and over last few months have gradually added fish and corals. Very pleased with how it all looks and runs at this time, time will tell how things go. Have done lots of reading trying to learn, but still feel like I don't know anything. Looking forward to participating in SARC. Thanks for invite - Sid

fsu
11/29/2004, 09:10 PM
Just got here in San Antonio from GA! Looking to meet some new folks around the area and possibly do some trading once I get set up! Rick

adshuraj777
11/29/2004, 11:04 PM
Welcome to SA!

There hasn't been much activity on this board, but I'm still well invoved inthe hobby!

Glad you stopped in!

What brought you to SA?

fsu
11/30/2004, 04:19 AM
Air Force. We are stationed at Randolph AFB!!!

mikep
11/30/2004, 04:10 PM
Hello all

Recently moved here from Austin and getting my 75 gal. tank back up I am at the FOWLR stage and just waiting to let the tank mature some more before starting coral.

Have not done anything with MAAST yet but would like too.

Also looking to start frag swapping before to long.

Michael

Oldman06
11/30/2004, 07:09 PM
Hi and welcome fsu and mikep. As I said above am a relative newbie but will also be ready to learn to frag and trade. There is a MAAST meeting coming up if you are interested.

fsu: I retired from the USAF in 1999 after 40 years of active duty. Went to FSU in 1969-70 under the AECP program. Drop me a note if you want to chat -- sbrandler@satx.rr.com

mikep
12/01/2004, 08:25 AM
I work for Lockheed Martin but I am a civilian contractor with the Air Force and I work at Wilford Hall Medical center.

email: michael.polis@lackland.af.mil

Michael

fsu
12/02/2004, 02:36 AM
Thanks for the welcome! Mike, what do you do? I need a job! LOL!!!

Oldman, I'll get with you in the next day or so! Glad to see folks starting to reply and get this San Antonio forum up a little!

fsu
12/16/2004, 02:54 PM
Hey Sid, I emailed you back again after the last letter! I hope you got it! Enjoy chatting hope to hear from you again! Rick

6LINE
12/24/2004, 03:38 AM
I live in Schertz, and just found this forum.
I have been into SW tanks for about 5-6 years. I have a 125G oceanic reef, and 'had' a 75G reef up to about 2 weeks ago. I have recently had to tear up my newly installed laminate floor due to the bottom seal giving way. Yep, 75 gallons of saltwater in my house. That was fun. But now is all restored and getting ready to set up my new 150G acrylic after the holiday madness slows. But just wanted to introduce myself.

Take care all,
JD

fsu
12/31/2004, 12:33 AM
Hey JD, good to meet you! I am on Randolph AFB! Anyway, we have been here about 2 months, finally unpacked and ready to start. I am trying to decide what size tank I want to start with. Thinking about coming down to a 100 gal. I last had a 125 which was great, but it's just a LONG tank. The 100 gal will cut off roughly a foot for me, as I don't have the space that I use to! Although, I could make it if necessary. I am being very indecisive and starting from scratch again is not helping at all. Hope to have at least the tank set up this weekend, and will go from there! Rick

6LINE
12/31/2004, 09:29 AM
Nice to meet you Rick, I am working on all the components to setup my 150G tall. 48"L 24"D and 30"T. I like the height and it really doesn't take up too much room. I just bought a dual 400W MH setup from a RC member and am building the sump. I still haven't decided how the hood will be. It is a slow process here but i am getting there. The wife and I are driving up to Austin today to visit the fish stores up there. Hope to find a hidden gem :). Good luck on your decision, and take care.

JD

fsu
12/31/2004, 10:29 AM
Thanks JD! Let me know what you find up there in Austin! As I am new to the area here in San Antonio, I am still finding places here, and haven't ventured that far yet! I'll update with what I do once I make a decision and start with the set up.

6LINE
12/31/2004, 11:22 AM
Have you been to Aquatic Warehouse? They are over by the airport.
http://aquatichousesa.com/
They usually have good deals.

JD

fsu
12/31/2004, 11:30 AM
No, sure haven't yet! I'll definitely check them out though! Fin Addicts, Texas Tropical, going to Alamo Aquatics today. Found a couple sales on 100 gal tanks. Tank and stand for $299. If I don't find a bigger tank for a good price, I will be going with this tank for now to start off with!

adshuraj777
12/31/2004, 01:48 PM
Hey everyone!

Madness, madness, madness!

We'll have to try to get together when some of these setups takeplace!

Glad to see more activity here. Lets keep it oging and get more involved!

FSU, what kind of job are you looking for? Email me.

adamzc@adamzc.com

fsu
12/31/2004, 04:13 PM
adshuraj777, you got mail!

As for the rest......Here's what I did! I completely went in a different direction than I originally thought. I got an 80 gallon drilled reef ready bowfront! Also, digital thermometer, refractometer (being shipped), and 2 Maxi-jet 1200's! Will be setting it up tonight with everything but skimmer( need to look around) and livestock (obviously). I do however plan on having the live sand and live rock put in tonight or later this weekend.

Got my lights already too. Since I am new to the whole coral thing and will be taking it SLOW, I went with decent lights, but obviously have room to improve. I got the Orbit PC 48" with moonlights. They're the 4 by 65 watt. Thought this would be a good start for now. Liverock, I decided to go with mostly Premium Fiji, but am going to add in some Tonga branch for a little different look. Tell me what you guys think so far! I will have pics later this weekend!

6LINE
12/31/2004, 06:34 PM
Sounds like you are off and rolling. As for me, i am in slow gear. I still have to build the canopy and finish the doors on the stand. With a 3 year old and the 'honeydo' list as long as my arm, it is hard to get it all done at once :)
FSU, sounds like a good setup. I haven't been to finn-addicts yet, is it worth the drive over? We went to Austin and found 1 good store.

adshuraj777, are you offering jobs? :)
I am always in the market for a new job... lol

JD

fsu
12/31/2004, 06:42 PM
YES Fin Addicts is worth the drive. It's just off Nocodouches (sp) by Tom's ribs! Not a big store, but LOTS of nice corals and the owner and his girlfriend are really nice to deal with! He seems fairly cheap for around here also!

fsu
12/31/2004, 06:43 PM
BTW, I am off and rolling ONLY because I am starting new again from scratch! This is definitely not a CHEAP hobby so I try to get it while the gettins good! Also while the wife oks it, had to do it before she changed her mind! :)

fsu
01/02/2005, 05:25 PM
Anyone here familiar with a reef ready that might be able to give me a hand? Just added some liverock, and I have no idea how to adjust this so it will SHUT THE HELL UP!!! lol it's LOUD slurping, played with the straw, not sure what to do! Probably an easy fix too!

6LINE
01/02/2005, 05:29 PM
Are you using the Durso Standpipe? I am going to use dual Durso's on my 150, but i haven't set it up yet.

JD

fsu
01/02/2005, 05:30 PM
Hey jd, you familiar with reef set ups?

6LINE
01/02/2005, 05:34 PM
i am not, but from the research i did the Durso's are super quiet.
i haven't set it up yet but i am hoping it will work out well.

fsu
01/02/2005, 05:37 PM
I just added live rock and now everything is out of whack! Mines called the jetstream super system I guess. It's the plumbing and everything that came with my tank. I've taken out water to try and level it off and everything, but it's not working. I need less water in the sump and more in the tank!

6LINE
01/02/2005, 05:43 PM
did you get it from Alamo Aquatics w/ the bio wheel sump? If so, my buddy has the same thing and i can call him and find out how he set his up.

JD

fsu
01/02/2005, 05:45 PM
YES! I also found a good deal for Premium Fiji liverock if your looking for some!

6LINE
01/02/2005, 05:48 PM
ok, i will call him and see. so you have too much in sump not enough in the tank. can you adjust the stand pipe up? i'll call him now.
Where did you get the LR? how much?

JD

6LINE
01/02/2005, 05:51 PM
he's not home right now. and i dont have his cell.

fsu
01/02/2005, 05:54 PM
give me a call, I'll tell you about the rock!

6LINE
01/02/2005, 06:45 PM
rick, i didn't save your # can you PM it to me. i am heading out to home depot and will swing by if that's cool.

JD

fsu
01/02/2005, 08:35 PM
Just got back on sorry! Door is still open whenever you can make it though! I'll send you my # again. I called your cell and left you a meesage too!

6LINE
01/03/2005, 03:58 PM
FSU, did you ever silence your tank?

fsu
01/03/2005, 04:35 PM
Hey, tried to get a hold of you last night, but left message on your voice mail. Anyway, got it silenced, BUT pulling that rod up so much that I can't get my glass cover back on! So fixed 1 problem and have another, at least for now! Oh, got my refractometer in today too! :) very happy about that!

fsu
01/03/2005, 04:38 PM
BTW, give me a call when you can make it over if you still want to see the rock! Imed my # to you!

6LINE
01/03/2005, 06:49 PM
Got your message. I work T-F evenings off S-S-M. I am watching my son tonight so it might be Saturday before i can make it over.
But yea, i would like to check out the rock. I will let you know.

Also, i have no idea what a Refractometer is besides an expensive salinity tester, lol. What is it exactly?

JD

fsu
01/03/2005, 06:54 PM
THATS what it is! Like a hyrometer, but much better and a lot more accurate!!! U put a drop or 2 of water on the lense then look through a scope and it will show the level of salt as compared to light. Pretty cool. Yeah, it is a little expensive, but not oo bad. Hydro is like $10-$15 and refracto is like $30 and up. I paid $45 for mine off e-bay, but there are some cheaper ones out there, also more expensive too!

Sat is good if I am here. I am supposed to head to Dallas for a couple days, but not sure when yet!

6LINE
01/03/2005, 07:04 PM
Sounds cool. See, i have only seen the $80+ meters. So, i guess it's not as bad as i thought, especially if it is really accurate.

JD

fsu
01/03/2005, 07:29 PM
Yeah, they CAN get REAL expensive. Mine works fine though as far as I am concerned, so anything more would be a waste IMO, unless your like an expert mad reefer or something! Then maybe, but who knows!

I think Drs. Foster and Smith has them on sale for $34.99 for reef central member too. If your interested!

6LINE
01/03/2005, 07:59 PM
yea, i just saw that too.

ab5ebdxer
01/06/2005, 08:54 PM
Hey guys, I will be moving back to SA next year. Looking forward to warm weather.

Mike

scuba steveo
01/07/2005, 09:36 AM
do you all post on www.maast.org as well?

fsu
01/07/2005, 09:51 AM
ab5ebdxer welcome! What brought you to NY?

fsu
01/07/2005, 09:52 AM
scuba welcome also! I am new to this area as of about 2 months ago. I have never heard of that site, but will definitely check it out! It's always great to meet fellow saltwater enthusiasts, as there is always something to learn, or just to meet some new folks!

scuba steveo
01/07/2005, 10:32 AM
For sure sign up. We have meeting every month and it's a pretty good group of reefers. Some of us gather a drink beer and look at each others tanks too.

6LINE
01/07/2005, 10:48 AM
BEER? well, why didnt;t you say so.... lol. scuba, nice to meet you. I have posted a couple of times there. I am trying to free up some time before i commit to going to meetings. I have been wanting to go but my schedule is so tight. I saw on there that Hammer is collecting interest for southdown sand. I have been wanting to get some, maybe this is a good chance. hope to meet you all in the future.

JD

scuba steveo
01/07/2005, 11:12 AM
If you can make the meeting, great! If not, no big deal, still post there and be active online. Yes the club members do many group orders including fish, corals, drygoods, frozen foods, and even sand. It is a very nice club and a great way to me local reefers.

ab5ebdxer
01/08/2005, 06:40 PM
I am in Syracuse doing a residency in Emergency Medicine, I am done June 2006.

fsu
01/13/2005, 05:29 PM
Thats cool! You looking forward to coming back?

fsu
01/13/2005, 05:33 PM
Hey JD, you still out there? Fixed my problem with the slurp! :D
Called marineland, and they told me to "cut the rod"! Cut it, my glass fits again, no slurp, YES, I feel like an idiot! HAHAHA! Got my skimmer coming in a couple days. I got a Euro Reef ES5-3. AM starting to get a algae problem, hopefully the skimmer will help! I am also wanting to get a little more live rock from that place, didn't know if you checked it out or wanted to check it out still. Let me know!

6LINE
01/13/2005, 07:02 PM
Yea, i am still here. good deal, talked to my friend, he said he did the same thing with his. I have never run a skimmer on my tanks, but i bought a berlin for my new tank. And as far as the rock goes, i haven't gone out there yet. I was hoping to get out there this weekend. I need to check w/ the wife to see what the weekend budget is. I just had my wisdom teeth pulled yesterday, yep, ALL 4 of them. I will let you know on the rock sometime tonight.

JD

ab5ebdxer
01/13/2005, 07:51 PM
Yea I am very eager to get back. I checked out the MAAST site looks like a fairly active group. I hoping to be in the New Braunfels area, not far from 6LINE.

6LINE
01/13/2005, 07:54 PM
cool, i work in New Braunfels, and FSU is on Randolph Airforce Base.

JD

scuba steveo
01/13/2005, 07:55 PM
There are alot of reefers around...we have a meeting this weekend around 281 & hwy 46

scuba steveo
01/13/2005, 07:56 PM
here is the post about the meeting

http://www.maast.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=8754

fsu
01/13/2005, 10:29 PM
SOunds good JD, let me know! Your still welcome whenever you get the chance! Although with my little algae problem, the rock isn't as prestine as it was. I need a good place for RO water, any recommendations? I probably need to pick up a few jugs or buckets to hold it as well!

Also, I am thinking about trying to set up a refugium this weekend. How much do you know about them?

fsu
01/13/2005, 10:35 PM
BTW JD, that meeting is right by CB Pets. Thats the place I told you about for the rock! Looks like they might have a sale going on too according to that thread!

Steveo, thanks for the info! I'll have to see if I can make it! How many people usually go to these? It's at this guys house?

6LINE
01/13/2005, 11:38 PM
FSU, i can probably make it over sometime this weekend. As far as where to get water, I am not real sure where the best place to get any. I have heard that the water that you can get out of the machine at HEB is good. Or just check at one of the shops, usaually you can buy it from them. I will be able to go to CB this weekend, not sure about the meeting though, I would love to go and see what it's like.
And last, a refugium i am not familiar with either, but i am planning the same thing. If you look in my gallery i built a sump that i am going to try and incorporate a fuge into it.

JD

scuba steveo
01/14/2005, 01:10 AM
You both need to go to the meeting. It is a great chance to ask questions.

RO water: HEB is better than your tap but still not good. Aquatic Warehouse sells good RODI water. Invest in a RO machine. There is a maast member than can get awesome 5 stage RODI units with pressure and TDS meters @ wholesale.

Refugium: The best this you can add to a reef. I have a simple hang on the back refugium on my 37 gallon tank and I have a 100 gallon refugium on my 215 gallon tank. The keep the water quality up and add pods to the display.

fsu
01/14/2005, 03:46 AM
JD, sounds good....just let me know!

Steveo, what would you recommend for an 80 bowfront? Refugium that is! I was thinking of doing like a 10 gallon underneath, but I don't know a whole lot about the hang ons, so not sure!

6LINE
01/14/2005, 08:40 AM
fsu, if you want to go to the meeting sunday, maybe we can carpool. My wife has plans and won't be able to go. That is quite a drive for both of us, so just let me know.

JD

scuba steveo
01/14/2005, 09:30 AM
Go to the meeting!
And then have beers afterwards.
I usually invite people over to my house afterwards.

Refugiums:
Hang ons are good and unders are good too.
The bigger the better. That way you can put more macro in there. That's why mine is 100 gallons.

6LINE
01/14/2005, 09:38 AM
scuba steveo, Sounds like a good plan. What part of town do you live in? And how lond do the meetings last?

JD

scuba steveo
01/14/2005, 10:15 AM
Meetings usually last an hour or so. I live in north central SA around Heubner, Lockhill Selma, & NW Military.

fsu
01/14/2005, 07:17 PM
Gonna run up to CB tonight. Don't know if you can make it, but you got my # if you can!

6LINE
01/15/2005, 06:22 PM
I went to CB today and thought my wife was gonna wipe out their coral supply. we bought 8 corals and 1 fish. Couldn't pass up the prices. I am going get with them and special order the rock, he said we can work out a better deal if i do it that way. the only thing will be is that i have to cure it myself, no problem though. Thanks FSU for mentioning them to me.

Later,
JD

fsu
01/15/2005, 06:51 PM
No problem! Which fish did you get? They have a NICE Tusk that my wife wanted me to buy, but I don't want an aggressive tank!

Made me actually think about getting a bigger tank and have an aggressive FOWLR!

Think I may add a fish or 2 and see how they do. My levels are all leveled out with the exception of my nitrates. They are low though and should be zeroed out soon!

6LINE
01/15/2005, 10:06 PM
We just bought one of the black clowns. We put everything in the nano cube that we setup a couple of weeks ago. I wish i knew how to post pics in the thread. Our nano tank is looking good now. If you are looking to buy another tank i have my 75 gallon with stand canopy and wet/dry if interested. I need to get the tank resealed but that is all that is wrong with it. I am not really ready to sell it yet because i haven't had the chance to clean it up yet. But i just thought i would mention it anyway.

JD

fsu
01/15/2005, 11:02 PM
Yeah, I actually may be interested in it! Let me know when your ready to get rid of it and we can work something out! I saw those black clowns too! They're really nice fish!

fsu
01/31/2005, 12:23 PM
Hey JD? You still around? Waiting to hook up! Did you ever find a skimmer?

scuba steveo
01/31/2005, 12:25 PM
when are you fools going to start posting on maast? I can only handle so many boards.
I just put up my new 5' T5s yesterday. Wow, what a difference!

fsu
01/31/2005, 12:26 PM
Got some pics Steve?

scuba steveo
01/31/2005, 12:27 PM
No, you have to come see for yourself!!!!!!!!!!!

fsu
01/31/2005, 01:49 PM
HAHAHA!! I just signed up over on that website! It's been real hectic since we just got here and with X-mas and the holidays! All is back to normal now though!

scuba steveo
01/31/2005, 02:06 PM
what is your maast sign in name?

6LINE
01/31/2005, 02:12 PM
Steve, I am a mamber there at Maast mow. I went to the January meeting and even payed dues, so i am actually a 'charter member' :) I enjoyed the meeting and plan to go to the Feb meeting. Anyways, I use the same screen name on Maast as i do here.

FSU, yea, still around. I bought my friends Berlin. It will work for now. I am still working on the 150G so no real updates. We will get together here soon.

JD

fsu
01/31/2005, 03:36 PM
Good to see you still here JD!

steveo, just signed up today, but will be using the same FSU on there as well!