PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone like to help me with this..

TippyToeX
06/24/2004, 05:30 PM
Hey everyone :)

I just answered to a thread in the main discussion forum about someone who will be making a trip to Vegas. I get many PM's, darn near 2 or 3 a month asking me what to see in Vegas.

For now I discourage their making a trip to LFS. At this time I don't see how it is worth their vacation time. Maybe some of our LFS will change soon (go Chris!). Perhaps we can provide their addresses, store hours, directions, and contact numbers in case some people would still like to see them

What I would like to do is list each aquarium attraction to be seen here in Vegas. Such as the Shark reef, the Mirage and Caesars aquariums. Yadda yadda yadda. It would be great to give an honest unbiased opinion of it. I would be willing to go to each and take pictures to add to each write up. As well as add my .02 for each if needed/wanted.

Not only would this be a great thing to link people to, it will be perfect for LVVR future web site. :)

Let me know what you think
Amy

LVfishguy
06/24/2004, 07:04 PM
My store web site is www.greenvalleyaquariums.com (http://www.greenvalleyaquariums.com) all the store hours and directions are on there for you. it is in the process of being rebuilt so "pardon the dust" so to speak. I do think that it would be kinda cool to do. especially if you are getting that many people asking the same question. It would save your fingers anyway.
Any thing else that I can do for you let me know.
~Chris~
(I think that my store is worth a look anyway!)

opihi
06/24/2004, 07:25 PM
Amy,
i think that's an awesome idea. especially for the website. we could do so much with this topic... a club review, visitor's comments and ratings, etc.

TippyToeX
06/24/2004, 08:23 PM
Thanks Chris! I think your store is worth a look, please don't get me wrong. For the hard core reefer, perhaps not yet. I mean no disrespect by that, I hope you know that. :)

Cool to see the website for the store! If you need someone to take pictures for it please let me know. I would love to help in that regard. You did mention a ride along, perhaps some good picture to show of the tanks you maintain as well. :D

Also, got two good picture of mom and pop clown (Donna if you are reading this I'll pass those pics to you too). Look at you PM tonight or tomorrow morning at the latest.

Jeff- Glad you like it. I will start putting a few things together in the next few weeks.

orionsmamma
06/24/2004, 08:38 PM
That is a great idea Amy! Unfortunatly (and maybe I'll have to change this) I have never been to any of the aquariums here in town, save the Shark Reef.

Personaly, I was not that impressed with the Shark Reef. I guess I felt like it was over priced, overcrowded, and not really that big. The last area with the sharks was really neat, I'll have to admit, but I have seen much larger aquariums (inside of a Seattle zoo) for a bit less. Just my two cents I guess.

On another note, I cant wait to see those clown pics Amy! :D

orionsmamma
06/24/2004, 08:44 PM
Also, If you do not know of a free web site hosting/building site, I do know of one. I am an "affiliate" of thiers( you need an affiliate ID to sign up), so I dont want to step on any toes or make it seem like I am trying to advertise anything here. We have never used thier free version (upgraded immediatly) so I am not sure how good it is. If you are interested, pm me and I will send the info. It might be worth a try.

LVfishguy
06/24/2004, 09:07 PM
I always want to get pictured of my tanks but when I get there, they need to be cleaned of course and when I am done they are cloudy of course. I just got a picture of my 17 nano reef that I do today and uploaded it on in my gallery.

Nanighan
06/25/2004, 02:23 AM
Aim, definately a great idea, but Im not sure what you want us to do. Would you like us to visit each attraction, give our oppinions on it, and then pool it together in a write-up? Or just list for you some locals that we've come across in Vegas?

2 or 3 PM's is not "many", a couple maybe, but not many :p.

TippyToeX
06/25/2004, 12:05 PM
:lol: Ron, those are just PM's about Vegas. You don't even want to know how many others I get in a day! :p

I would like just what Donna has said. An honest opinion of where ever you have been. Myself of a volunteer and put a write up together, with the addition of club members comments. Such as Jeff suggested, with ratings and such. No need to go out of the way and make trips to stores or attractions.

Just tossing out the idea to see if that is something everyone would agree is a use to people who come here, or see the website.

opihi
06/25/2004, 02:02 PM
i also wanted to add that it doesn't have to be very in depth or fancy, because it's not like we're recommending visitors to actually go check it out. we're just providing information in one place, and it's up to them to decide whether it's worth their time.

TippyToeX
06/25/2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by opihi
i also wanted to add that it doesn't have to be very in depth or fancy, because it's not like we're recommending visitors to actually go check it out. we're just providing information in one place, and it's up to them to decide whether it's worth their time.

Agreed. :thumsup:

Just a list of whats out there, some pictures and features.

Nanighan
06/26/2004, 01:23 AM
Here I'll fix this for you Amy.... :thumbsup:

Shak
06/26/2004, 01:42 AM
Nice job Ron :thumbsup:

opihi
07/26/2004, 12:29 PM
Hi All,
the fact that we just got 3 LFS requests in a couple of days means that 1) our forum is getting some visibility (woohoo!); and 2) we really need to get the ball rolling on this.

i'd like to propose that we compile a list of LFS and attractions in this thread. please list the places you've been to, and a short description. we'll then sum up these mini-reviews and post them as a sticky at the top of our forum.

i'll start out with a quick summary of ATM I and GVA. if anyone disagrees or can add something else, please feel free to. otherwise, i don't think we each need to review every place.

ATM I
6125 Annie Oakley Dr.
Las Vegas, Nevada 89120
Phone: 702-387-2016
Toll Free: 877-TANK-ATM (826-5286)

Well-stocked, but health of fish is questionable. the majority of coral selection is limited to LPS and softies. the coral holding tanks are underlit. dry goods and aquariums are priced to collect top dollar. i do not recommend ATM I to other reefers.

Green Valley Aquariums
55 S. Gibson Rd. #117
Henderson, NV 89012
Phone: 702-566-3458

well-stocked, animals are healthy, and tanks are well-maintained. occasionally gets "rarer" and "premium" fish. coral selection is wide, although often limited in number. i recommend this LFS to Las Vegas residents and visitors who are nearby.

TippyToeX
07/26/2004, 09:15 PM
ATM II
9420 West Sahara
Las Vegas, NV. 89147
(702) 319-7000

Very poor selection of coral. What coral is there is often in rough shape (loss of zooxanthellae, exposed skeleton, sloughing flesh, etc) IMHO. They do get some nice fish from time to time. Yet many look to be suffering from ilness to my eye. Frightingly high prices and an OK selection of dry goods.

GoldenReef
07/26/2004, 09:23 PM
Last couple of trips I made to Vegas was to see "O". Now that is a water tank to see...

EvilInSin
07/26/2004, 10:38 PM
Link for S&R secret gardens. I know they have a special tour they give of the behind the sceens, that is very interesting. I have never been to the normal area of the place so not sure if its a bore or not.

http://www.themirage.com/pages/attrac_secret.asp