PDA

View Full Version : Duncanopsammia in US

joetbs
06/23/2004, 09:49 PM
Hi, do you know how much of this coral exists in the country? I know sprung has a piece that he occasionally frags, but I emailed and got no response. Would it be fruitful to continue pursuing this coral?

thanks for your input
joe

Skipper
06/23/2004, 10:09 PM
Hey Joe. Anthony will be on vacation for another week or so. Don't expect an answer until then. Thanks.

joetbs
06/24/2004, 09:15 AM
No problem. Thanks for the heads up. Missed the sticky...

Anthony Calfo
06/29/2004, 11:36 PM
Cheers Joe,

there are indeed dozens of this coral (really probably hundreds) in the US. Some come in mislabelled with torch coral for example.

I see them about once monthly on LA wholesalers lists. Saw them just a couple of months ago on Aquatic Marines' list (labelled as "whiskers" coral, of course). They really are one of the greatest Cali wholesalers BTW for rare fish and corals (tell your retailer(s) to check them out). Some of my fav retail stores across the country only deal with their livestock.

I have a colony now that I intend to frag/spread/share in time... my intent is to donate one to each club I visit as my colony numbers grow. I have no desire to sell or trade it presently. I'd rather see others spread it around and get the price down faster :D

I wish I could tell you where to buy them my friend :(

Its an unbelievable hardy and fast growing coral... but so few shipments come from the Solomons and near Oz to the US... at least arriving from such a far distance healthy. And as such they are "rare" (an awful word in this hobby) in the US trade for now.

No worries... you will see more and more of them in time.

They had four for sale at IMAC this month! Just one of the many reasons I preach to aquarists and friends to get out to the conferences and network, scavenge and learn :D

kind regards,

Anthony

joetbs
07/01/2004, 09:52 PM
Care to visit the NJ club? :grin:

By aquatic marine you mean aqua marine, erik's company?

thanks again.
joe

Anthony Calfo
07/01/2004, 11:08 PM
Cheers, Joe

Yes... Erik and Dennis Reynolds' wonderful operation. Thanks for the clarification. Its what I get for answering e-mail with bleary eyes after a long day <G>

As to the NJ visit... would love to :p I'm a sucker for visiting clubs... you cant shut me up with chats, presentations, etc.

I do like to bring/share treasures too... my small part to spread some neat things around. These beauties that are too few in number frags to post/ trade/sell and so I am happier to give them away.

I only let myself out once monthly though... as such I'm scheduled for 11 of the next 12 months. I think I'm in Philly early next year though... not sure if thats close enough for a road trip for your gang/club? Its very nice to see regional clubs support each other.

kindly,

Anthony

joetbs
07/02/2004, 09:32 AM
Philly is close enough. Only 1.5-2 hours away. I will be sure to attend with some other members. I'll bring you some acanthastrea in my avatar for your troubles.

joe