PDA

View Full Version : Refugium

twfields79
06/22/2004, 12:30 PM
I have been thinking of aquirring a refugium. I am not exactly shure about all that one is used for. What are the pros and cons of having one and can I make my own some how?:strange:

AttackDonut
06/22/2004, 01:49 PM
Good for promoting the growth of macro algaes, for nutrient export, can also grow 'pods in there. Good place (if large enough) to put injured or shy species in, for recovery.

Needs it's own lights, and obviously water flow to and from, into main tank. If you are good with acrylics, you can make one.

can make a sumped one, or hang on the back of your tank, depending on space available.

SoupySteve
06/22/2004, 02:27 PM
A refugium gets its name from the word refuge:

ref·uge ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rfyj)
n.
Protection or shelter, as from danger or hardship.
A place providing protection or shelter.
A source of help, relief, or comfort in times of trouble. See Synonyms at shelter.

So, basically, you are simply providing a loaction for the critters that'd get eaten in your display. When I first cycled my tank, I had a HUGE population of amphipods in my tank. My sixline decimated their population. I didn't have a fuge at the time, or esle, I'd have saved a few. Now that I have a fuge/sump running again, I have a small amphipod population thriving in there along with a TON of mysis shrimp, and my macro algae.
Cool looking fuges can be constructed using acrylic and other supplies that I found "econimically unfeasable". You can however, make one that functions JUST FINE using an old tank, a pump, an overflow, and some PVC for plumbing purposes. Just about anyone in the group should be able to give you a hand - it's not as much of a pain as it may sound - trust me.

LargeJohn
06/22/2004, 03:55 PM
Do you currently have a sump on your tank??

I am using a 29 gallon all-glass tank for a sump/refugium. I have enough room for a skimmer, return pump, heaters on one half of the sump. On the other half of the sump I have a piece of live rock and macro algae. Mine is not an ideal setup, but it gives me a place to put macroalgae in the system and I am starting to get a decent population of pods.

As Steve said, a refugium is a place to put things that need shelter from predators, turbulent flow, and aggressive filtering. Ideally, I think you would want a separate lighted area with a low turnover of water compared to your main tank.

twfields79
06/22/2004, 04:10 PM
no I don't have a sump, but I do have a 29g tank that I am not using yet maybe I aught to use it for that how do you have yours set up? What kind of modifications would I have to do to the 29. certain pumps and lights?

LargeJohn
06/22/2004, 09:42 PM
My display tank has built-in, corner overflow boxes. When the water level rises to within 1 inch of the top of the tank, it overflows through a 1-inch tube into the 29 gallon tank underneath. I have a Mag 9 pump that returns the water back to the main tank. I also have a Reef Devil protein skimmer that stands in the sump. It is powered by a Mag 7 pump. I did not have to modify the tank in any way. Your biggest hurdle will be getting the water out of your main tank and into a sump. There are a couple of different ways to accomplish this:

1. A hang-on overflow box
2. Drilling the back glass in your main tank.

They both have advantages and disadvantages.

Do a search and ask some questions. If you want a closer look at my setup, come by and take a look some evening or weekend.

twfields79
06/22/2004, 10:05 PM
Hey John I may do that I will probably be able to see it at the bbq at some point ya think?

LargeJohn
06/23/2004, 12:27 PM
Definitely!