PDA

View Full Version : Hair algea

twfields79
06/21/2004, 01:33 PM
Alright I think that I have some hair algea trying to grow? What is the easiest way to control this without stressing the fish? I have been told that turning the lights off for a couple of weeks will kill it, but man is their any other way I enjoy my tank too much to have the lights off all of the time. of course I will leave them off if need be, but any quick fixes would be wonderful.:D

Neonguy95
06/21/2004, 01:39 PM
Whoops I replied in the other thread.

Neonguy95
06/21/2004, 01:43 PM
From the other thread:

Originally posted by Neonguy95
I have been struggling with hair algea lately as well. WHat kind of water are you using?

I had the tank up for 6 months and I was just using our softened tap water. Algea would come and go, then all of a sudden I had a huge outbreak. I had to send my large rock of buttons with a SEAS member for him to take care of until I got the water under control.

I have now been using RO/DI water for almost 3 weeks. Picked off the algea, that I could get to, I still have some red stuff growing on the sand, but it is begining to lose ground and die off.

LargeJohn, also the member that took care of the buttons, is getting me some algea. I will stick some under the PC's and it shoudl grow pretty quick. When It does I will trim some off and give to you.

If you are just using tap water I will get you some links to some RO/DI systems off ebay. I got mine for 115 plus 20 to ship it. IT is 110 gpd stage system with 3.5 gallon storage tank. So RO for the drinking water and RO/DI for the fishes.

Part of your problem could still be new tank syndrome, which tends to last from what I have read for about a year.

Let me know if you need the links, they are the least expensive systems I have found.

SoupySteve
06/21/2004, 02:14 PM
I am by no means an authority on saltwater aquariums, but when my tank had just got done cycling, my tank started to have a hair algae outbreak. I threw in some snails - and never saw the stuff again. In fact, I have so LITTLE algae growth that I have to feed my tank algae wafers.
If your tank has finished its cycle, I'd suggest a lawnmower blenny - those guys will clean your tank ASAP

LargeJohn
06/21/2004, 02:44 PM
Okay, I played follow the leader and replied to your other thread about Q tanks.

Snails and small blue-legged hermit crabs will pick all traces of algae out of your tank!

twfields79
06/22/2004, 08:26 AM
sorry guys I decided to put a new thread on the algae problem after I had written it in the q tank question! I thought I might get a few more replies. My bad

twfields79
06/22/2004, 08:43 AM
neonguy that would be cool if you could get me the links to the RO/DI unit. not that I can get it any time soon, but maybe here in a couple of month. about the water that I am using I purchased it from cichlids and salt and mixed myself.

Neonguy95
06/22/2004, 08:50 AM
Without storage tank 110gpd buy now for 90.00: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20756&item=4308326184&rd=1

With storage tank 110 gpd buy now for 115:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20756&item=4309263623&rd=1

Go on ebay and do search for : ro/di

Neonguy95
06/22/2004, 08:51 AM
Oh and when you get one if you need help installing just let me know. Please don't pay for someone to install it, much too easy for that.

twfields79
06/22/2004, 11:19 AM
Awsome neonguy those are impressive! especially the price. Now to plan my tactic for dealing with my wife about it!! haha

Neonguy95
06/22/2004, 11:35 AM
Just explain that she will have better drinking water for her and the childern if there are any. You can split the RO for the family and then the RO/DI for the fishes.

She will be able to taste the difference between tap water and RO water. Makes everything made with water taste different.

LargeJohn
06/22/2004, 12:04 PM
Here ya go, twfields79!

My (Ozark) tapwater ~240 ppm contaminants
RO only ~25 ppm
RO/DI 0 ppm

That is the perfect sales pitch!!!

BTW, hope you and your family can come to the July 10th BBQ at my place!!! See the sticky thread for more info!

twfields79
06/22/2004, 12:24 PM
Yea LargeJohn I saw the thread I am going to see what my wife thinks about going. Will it be ok to bring my kids stepdaughter 9, and son 2. I obviously do not have any frags for my 55 is only going to be a fish only. Could someone put coral in a fish only tank? I've been told not to, but maybe there are some that will do better than others with the fishies?

Neonguy95
06/22/2004, 01:20 PM
You can have buttons, green gobies love them. Some polups (sp?) mostly it is all going to depend on your lighting. One day I am going to try an aneome, some people say I will be ok. Others say that I will have trouble with my lighting.

I guess I will find out. If Petware House can keep the with 20 watt lights I am quite positive I will be able to keep one with 260 watts of lighting.

If you want to try some buttons and a green goby it is pretty neat. I had both until tank started crashing and I had to send buttons to John and the goby died. I will have another goby, since I got the buttons back from John today.

Neonguy95
06/22/2004, 01:22 PM
Oh and the kids. I believe that there are several couples with childern. Bring them on, the wife and I don't have kids, but she likes to play with kids.

Maybe I could talk John into letting the boxer join us?

SoupySteve
06/22/2004, 02:18 PM
I saw that you were discussing the installation of your RO/DI unit, and I'd like to make a suggestion. Put your "waste water" line into your washing machine. This way, you'll waste NO water. I put my unit above my washer, put a T with valves on it from the spout that leads into my washer. I then put the waste water line into my washing machine - I get 5 gallons of RO/DI water and a washing machine withg about 10 gallons of water that is just fine for clothes. Just a suggestion

twfields79
06/22/2004, 03:03 PM
How much light does an anemone need anyway? I would think 260 would be more than enough. My stepdad had a saltwater tank when I was just a kid and he had plenty of anemones, and his lighting I don't know if back then people knew about strong lighting if so they were probably so damned expensive no one could afford them. I don't think his lights were very high watts.

Neonguy95
06/23/2004, 09:46 AM
With your PC's you ought to have enough. I am by no means an expert on aquairums, still quite a newbie myself. I have seen people on line using regular lights. (30 watts) All the way up to people saying you must have metal halides.

Now there are some that require more lighting so those I will stay away from. I will do maybe a Rose bulb tip or a sabea.

SoupySteve
06/23/2004, 02:11 PM
A bit of advice - DO NOT put an anemone in your tank if you have powerheads in the tank. They will move themselves towards the flow from the powerheads and get sucked into the impeller - NASTY MESS and waste of $$$

Neonguy95
06/24/2004, 12:18 AM
You can cover the powerheads with foam. It will help keep them from becoming intangled.

twfields79
06/24/2004, 12:24 AM
I've got the maxi-jets and they have the I don't know what they are called but a filter like attachment.

SoupySteve
06/24/2004, 08:54 AM
Foam may work - but the anemone I had went through the grids on the attachment TWfeild is talking about

twfields79
06/24/2004, 09:38 AM
I think that they make foam to fit inside the grid.