PDA

View Full Version : quarantine tank?

twfields79
06/20/2004, 11:53 AM
I have a question when someone has a quarantine tank can you keep it running all the time or just temporarily? I have been told that the quarantine tank is just temporary set up, but I would like to keep it set up all the time. :)

lil'salty
06/20/2004, 02:05 PM
sure if you want an empty tank to take care of

Neonguy95
06/20/2004, 03:43 PM
You could have one setup all the time. I have yet to use one, then again I don't really have the room for another tank.

Red Sea Purple Tang
06/20/2004, 11:26 PM
TWfields79,

:wavehand: Welcome to the SEAS Forum! :wavehand:

You can do either with a quarentine tank. Personally, I just use a 10g as a temporary set-up when I bring in some new stuff. It's just a 10g with some large PVC elbows (mainly for the fish). It has a small powehead for circulation, small heater and a Penguin powerfilter without the carbon.

You can set one up to keep running all the time. The only downside is babysitting an empty tank. The good side is you'll always have one ready to go if you see something you like on a moments notice.

Hope that helps! If not, let me know.

OT: What shift do you work at Cox? Certain floor?

twfields79
06/21/2004, 12:52 AM
Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback. I work on 300 east on the second shift 3-11. maybe I'll see ya there sometime.

twfields79
06/21/2004, 12:54 AM
I think I will just leave it up and running for now for I have just opened up my tank and I usually buy things on a whim.

LargeJohn
06/21/2004, 10:08 AM
Welcome, twfields79!!!!!

I noticed that you listed scuba diving as an interest. If you haven't already done so, be sure and check out the SCUBA/Snorkeling forum here:

SCUBA/Snorkeling (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=7)

I don't SCUBA anymore, but I enjoying snorkeling any time I get near the tropics!!!!

Neonguy95
06/21/2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by twfields79
I usually buy things on a whim.

Wow, we would get along like best friends.

twfields79
06/21/2004, 01:25 PM
I here buying on a whim isn't the best thing to do, but oh well for now its working out beautifully. does anyone have any macro algea they would like to sell a little of? I hear it is a way to get rid of hair algea? My tank is pretty new, but I think that I have some pores trying to grow. I have had my lights off for a couple of days I hear that will kill it, but I have about 12 more days with no lights and man I love watching my tank with the lights much more beautiful. Any comments or suggestions would help tons. thanks

Neonguy95
06/21/2004, 01:38 PM
I have been struggling with hair algea lately as well. WHat kind of water are you using?

I had the tank up for 6 months and I was just using our softened tap water. Algea would come and go, then all of a sudden I had a huge outbreak. I had to send my large rock of buttons with a SEAS member for him to take care of until I got the water under control.

I have now been using RO/DI water for almost 3 weeks. Picked off the algea, that I could get to, I still have some red stuff growing on the sand, but it is begining to lose ground and die off.

LargeJohn, also the member that took care of the buttons, is getting me some algea. I will stick some under the PC's and it shoudl grow pretty quick. When It does I will trim some off and give to you.

If you are just using tap water I will get you some links to some RO/DI systems off ebay. I got mine for 115 plus 20 to ship it. IT is 110 gpd stage system with 3.5 gallon storage tank. So RO for the drinking water and RO/DI for the fishes.

Part of your problem could still be new tank syndrome, which tends to last from what I have read for about a year.

Let me know if you need the links, they are the least expensive systems I have found.

LargeJohn
06/21/2004, 02:28 PM
I'd be glad to snag some macroalgae for you also. I'm going to collect some for Neonguy tonight. Give me a call or drop me a PM if you are going to be around tomorrow morning/afternoon.

Neonguy is right about the source of your topoff/replacement water. Investing in an RO/DI unit seems like a big step (on top of all the other money you have already spent to set up a tank), but putting tap water into you system is a bad thing to do.

If you don't want to invest in an RO/DI system right now, you can invest in a couple of 5 gallon containers at Wal-Mart and buy water out of the Culligan machine for about $0.30 per gallon. I did this for about 1 year until I got my RO/DI system at home.

Here is a thread describing my experiences in beating back hair algae:

Hair Algae (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=384863)