PDA

View Full Version : Possible tank of the month type of thing.

BigReef
06/19/2004, 09:42 PM
I know that Reef Central has a tank of the month but I was wanting to know if you guys would be interested in doing our own INDMAS tank of the month.

I think we have enough shutterbugs to get some good pictures.
Maybe Matt could help with the actual formatting (or whatever those computer guys call that type of thing)

We would have to come up with some way to pick the tank in a fair manner, maybe just a simple random drawing of names.

Anyway, if you guys (and gals) think this is something you want to do, speak up.

Thanks
BigReef

matt the fiddler
06/20/2004, 12:13 AM
will we have enough tanks in town to do it monthly? or do we expect a lot of growth out of the club?

Jeremy B.
06/20/2004, 08:38 AM
We definitely have enough tanks around, it would just be needing enough involvement with the club, which I think that is well on its way.

matt the fiddler
06/20/2004, 03:25 PM
sounds like a plan.. :)

DJPB
06/20/2004, 07:15 PM
I like the idea, I'd love to see some of the other reef tanks in Indy besides the show tanks at the stores. How do we make this happen?

matt the fiddler
06/20/2004, 07:26 PM
first of all. why is the website different than the clubs name?

indmas vs inmas?

BigReef
06/20/2004, 07:59 PM
When John Witt registered the name with the state of Indiana as a non profit organization, we discovered that INMAS was allready taken. So we had to go with INDMAS. By that time we had allready put our name out there as INMAS. I never noticed that the name of our site was missing the D.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Thanks
BigReef

justgettinstarted
06/20/2004, 08:15 PM
thats sounds cool to me...

I just set up another 75g today... still trying to decide on a theme for it ;) HAHAHA

matt the fiddler
06/20/2004, 08:29 PM
well we have this...

http://www.nickelcreek.info/~matt/trash_reefcentral.jpg

the site is the one with the D in it- i thought it was wrong. now i know. it might be worth resolving the confusion somehow :)

DJPB
06/20/2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by justgettinstarted
thats sounds cool to me...

I just set up another 75g today... still trying to decide on a theme for it ;) HAHAHA

Dragon Eel or Ribbon Eel!!!!

Jeremy B.
06/20/2004, 09:36 PM
the site is the one with the D in it- i thought it was wrong. now i know. it might be worth resolving the confusion somehow

When I had JohnL put the forum up for us our name was "INMAS", until we found out that name was already registered as another non profit. I sent JohnL an email to fix it, but with as busy as he is it looks like it didn't get done. Rather than bothering him with such a minor thing, I've chosen to put it on the back burner.

justgettinstarted
06/20/2004, 10:42 PM
yea the name thing is not a big deal i dont think!

DJPB i am thinking i am going with a black ribbon in the tank... the rest is to be decited later! Damnit i ran outta salt so it sitting there like a nice FW tank right now! HAHA

BigReef
06/21/2004, 06:45 PM
Matt, When I said the site was missing the D, I was talking about the Reef Central site. (nobody ever goes to the other site anyway) I will quit refering to us as INDMAS and start using the acronym INMAS. If that's what it takes to make you happy!:)

I vote Matt for president of the INMAS! It's that type of attention to detail that we need in a leader.

Later
BigReef

matt the fiddler
06/21/2004, 07:02 PM
no way. =Þ that is shawns job. [unless i get paid in frags and fish :D] i just remember being confused several months ago, not being able to find the website... so more a comment on my stupidity.. inmas.org is not closely related to a reef keeping club.

once i figure what city i am teaching in next year, i will probably be able to help out if admin/ meeting arranging is needed [assuming i am lucky and it is here]..

Fourseahorsemen
06/21/2004, 09:11 PM
So Matt, do you play the fiddle?

matt the fiddler
06/21/2004, 09:27 PM
yep :D i play a 5 stringed acoustic and electric fiddle- though I am a classical music teacher.. been sitting in the middle of highly progressive bluegrass [newgrass], jazz, and irish for several years- a style right near where nickel creek is now...... do you listen much to the folk/ progressive acoustic side of things?

oh and if anyone is interested in hearing the new nickel creek/ toad the wet sprocket cd due out next month- let me know :D

Fourseahorsemen
06/21/2004, 09:49 PM
I love music, jazz and blues are a favorite having lived in chicago and visiting NewOrleans many times. I cant' say I am connected to the genre you speak of, after the grung thing in the 90's I have found hip hop more creative the last few years. You should post when you play and if it works out it might be an excuse to get out.

overflowin
06/21/2004, 09:54 PM
4c - ever listen to atmosphere? i also know some other really good underground hip hop if your interested...

donnie

DJPB
06/21/2004, 11:05 PM
I've seen atmosphere before at the Patio, I think. If I remember right, they were with RubberRoom.

overflowin
06/22/2004, 08:24 AM
when was that? i have never seen them come to indy...i did see them with rubber room in bloomington, that was a good time. didn't get to go last year, my twin daughters were born the day before the show...

-donnie

DJPB
06/22/2004, 09:57 AM
3 yrs ago, when the mudkids were still doing shows

BigReef
06/23/2004, 08:01 PM
All right guys... back to the subject at hand! INMAS TOTM!

What is the best way to make this happen?

matt the fiddler
06/23/2004, 09:40 PM
i don't have the hours to make it as good as the premium site- that takes hours and hours of work....... but might be able to set up a mold ..

busy with a move currently.... [including tank :/]

justgettinstarted
06/23/2004, 10:38 PM
as far as the tanks i have seen around the area... i would nominate Derek's tank before he tears it down next month!!!

1 vote for him!

Jeremy B.
06/24/2004, 09:16 AM
I vote for TYRYFIN........his side by side inwall 220's are something special!

DensityMan
06/24/2004, 10:13 AM
Only tanks I've seen besides my own are Donnie's, Dan's and Jeff's...

What about a random showcasing going through the list?

Some of us may not be so much showing off as begging for help... ;)

I envy many of the bigger tanks I've seen online and showcased as RC TotM's... but I just don't think I can work the same level of magic to show off in a 75 (some of the massivce acro displays in the 220+ tanks are amazing).

Web-space/time is an issue though...some of us work in HTML or know enough to do our own work, others would need help making the pages and still others may not have the means or ability to capture pictures to show in the first place.

We have club web-space, but only the club web-master would have access to that... the forums here are a bit restrictive at our user level...

I'm not solving anything... just talking ideas/problems out loud.

Do we have control enough on the clubs host to be able to have a seperate login account for an FTP area to house the TotM pages? If that were the case it wouldn't have to all fall on the shoulders of one person's time and effort.

Just ideas and questions... :D

Jeremy B.
06/24/2004, 10:19 AM
Cory is the host/webmaster for the club site right now. Unfortunately he doesn't really have the time after being here throughout the day and then doing his side business in the evenings to work on it much.

overflowin
06/24/2004, 10:20 AM
does it have to be that fancy? we can post pics on out gallery here, and maybe we can get a sticky thread at the top of our forum for tank of the month...then no one has to deal with html or any of that jazz...seems like a pretty straight forward kinda operation to me. but if every one else wants fancy, i won't argue...i wouldn't be any help tho :)

I'm with DM on the begging for help thing...

donnie

DensityMan
06/24/2004, 10:53 AM
I'd love to volunteer with helping to update the site if that's an issue and whenever possible help people with TotM coding/pages/images... I stare at HTML code all day long... so while I'm usually too lazy to do much with the vanity page... I'm usually good for helping non-me sites. ;)

Just not in Noblesville... :lol:

matt the fiddler
06/24/2004, 12:09 PM
density- isn't that your day job?

so do you refuse to work with pictures takin in freakin noblesville as well?

DensityMan
06/24/2004, 12:51 PM
LOL... it is my dayjob.

I may not discriminate against pictures taken in Noblesville, but I'd be hard-pressed to drive up there take them myself. Until we have like 6 meetings/gatherings on the Eastside of Indy... :lol:

;)

BigReef
06/24/2004, 06:08 PM
I agree with overflowin. I was thinking of just having a sticky at the top of our forum and calling it our totm" Whomever we picked for tank of the month would have to furnish pictures and the description. Just like posting a picture on a thread now basically,
except that it would always stay at the top.

Sound easy enough... no html or code or any of that stuff.

Later
BigReef

matt the fiddler
06/24/2004, 06:36 PM
get all the north siders to say "freakin fishers.. HA HA"

we could do it here- or install one of various free/ open source board programs on the inDmas website - we will have more control on our page- reef central won't let us sticky threads...

Jeremy B.
06/25/2004, 08:59 AM
I think we need to get a board on the IN"D"MAS page personally. Yes, this is a great place, but we would have more "Freedom" if you will on our own site.

matt the fiddler
06/25/2004, 12:44 PM
jeremy- what board are you using for the premium board- that is open source/ free is it not?

something similiar to that would be nice to set up.
there are also open source photogalleries ..