PDA

View Full Version : discus for trade or sale

catdoc
06/19/2004, 03:36 PM
I have one lone discus that I am looking to find a new home for. I got him a year ago with two others (1 a wild-caught who never ate for me and the other a captive-bred that this one bullied until it quit eating too). I don't know who the breeder was b/c I bought him at a large cichlid conference/auction in Cincy last year. I would like to have gotten a tank-mate for him, but after the way he treated the other one I was afraid of a repeat. I think he'll be more agreeable when he doesn't see himself as the dominant fish. He's been on his own in the tank for 6 months and getting fatter and fatter. He'll eat anything I toss in the tank, definitely not finicky! His only tankmates are 2 plecos (who I barely see). I'd rather see him go directly to a hobbyist b/c I know he'd not be treated well if I take him to the LFS for a trade-in. It's hard for me to let him go, but it's silly for him to have the tank all to himself.

I'm in Bloomington, asking $30 for him. PM or email me. Thanks!

Edited to add that I have pics I can email you and he's a red turqoise. I don't really know that he is a "he", I have no idea on its gender.

mickey57
06/19/2004, 03:56 PM
....Wish I was closer.The plecos very well could have been the problem.They will suck the slime off the (broad) side of discus after lights out and the discus is asleep.The only pleco I found to be compatable is the golden nugget, because of its smaller mouth.
.................Mickey

catdoc
06/19/2004, 04:15 PM
The only fish I saw bothering the discus was a chinese algae eater and he was immediately banned! LOL. The plecos are a cactus leopard and a royal panaque. The tank was set up for the discus originally and the plecos got stuck in there during a tank shake-down (pleco wars). Even after lights-out, the two tend to stay under their tree stump and I rarely see them, haven't ever seen them even approach the discus. It's a 30-high and they just don't venture off of the bottom. Actually, I wish they WERE more adventurous, at least then I could see them.