PDA

View Full Version : black ich

thedogofwar
06/15/2004, 08:59 PM
need I say more? this really sux! both tangs have brownish black spots and a few white ones as well. I have to believe it is black ich and maybe a bit of marine ich as well. They must have been stressed from the move?

Well I ran out and bought a new 55 to quarantine them to.

anyone know where I can get some formallin around here? Maybe someone has seen it at the LFS's? I heard pharmacies may carry it as well.

or how about this Kordon rid ich+ ? I have a bottle of it but it also contains malachite green and I have no clue how to go about a bath when the directions are for prolonged treatment.

Scuba Dog
06/15/2004, 09:07 PM
thedogofwar

If you cant fiond any Brandon let me know, I have a bottle of it at home..could send it to you...also pick up some cleaner shrimp they help...and way sorry to hear about that man....

thedogofwar
06/15/2004, 09:27 PM
I just got a cleaner a week ago, They have both been frequenting the cleaning station tonight. However I just got done reading that these parasites are too small for a cleaner to do much with.

I need to find some garlic as well, I might just let them be for a couple days and see if they get any better. am I wrong in thinking you can use a whole garlic from the grocery store? Can't you just grind it up, I can't remember.

Scuba Dog
06/15/2004, 09:30 PM
The garlic thing is new to me, i just know it stimulates apitite...more than likely the Q tank will be the answer...but since your reasearching the subject you kow more than me....

thedogofwar
06/15/2004, 09:45 PM
garlic is suppossed to be good for the immune system. I was gonna start soaking their food once a week or so anyway but I hadn't started yet.

This is the hobby I hate to love, or is that love to hate? :)

Scuba Dog
06/15/2004, 09:55 PM
Makes sence...pick up some selcone as well to soak the food in. spirolena flakes are also a good supliment and some clip on seaweed, that will help prevent HLE

thedogofwar
06/15/2004, 11:00 PM
Theres also speculation that the garlic in their system makes them an "undesireable host". Who could blame the ich for jumping ship!

Well I ran to Kroger and picked up some garlic geltabs, the same as I saw used by another reefer. Made by Sundown, they are actually a dietary supplement. I already have selcon, I soak brine for the tubastrea. I got some of that veggie stuff that you use last week and my fish won't touch it.

I think I'll watch and see for a couple days. Give the PH of the new water time to stabalize anyway. I really understand the buffering of aragonite since I started using the ooltic sand.

I can't believe I had to go buy another tank, there go my new lights. Thats alright, I wasn't about to put them back into the 10 (that stress wouldn't help) and the 29 is needed on the system for the corals. I guess Tawnya can start her FO a little sooner than expected.

Scuba Dog
06/16/2004, 12:20 AM
sounds like you know whats going on, well good luck with the FOWLR...oh you could put some crushed coral in the sump that would help with buffering the ph...

schiller2300
06/16/2004, 05:24 AM
If you feel that the disease is parasitic, you might want to try a freshwater dip. It has been a long time since I have had ich but I used it on the regular white spotted ich quite succsessfully.

thedogofwar
07/07/2004, 06:03 PM
just thought I would revive this to let everyone know that after 2 weeks of using garlic all signs dissapeared. it's been about 2 weeks since the last sign and the fish never had to leave the tank.

FWIW, I used Sundown garlic dietary supplement tablets I purchased from Kroger. It says the equivelant of 750 mg of fresh garlic.

jerryc
07/07/2004, 06:43 PM
how did you feed it to them have read people add it to homemade fish Food.

Scuba Dog
07/07/2004, 06:48 PM
Glad to hear that you have it under control.....now the cleaner shrimp should be able to keep it under wraps also....

thedogofwar
07/07/2004, 07:17 PM
jerry, I just poked a hole in the gel cap and squireted it into a shotglass. Then I mixed in the flake that I feed them and let it soak it up. it will clump together after that so just suck it in and out of a baster a few times and then squirt it in the tank.

I was extremely pleased to take care of it w/o having to remove them.