PDA

View Full Version : Swappityswapswapswaping DSB

Gamera
09/26/2001, 08:21 PM
So I have a really cheapie twenty gallon tank in my office.

I plan on putting a mantis in it.

Then I decided it'd be great to have a small mantis in the tank with a bunch of crals, maybe a large anem, or maybe just the corals. Thqat meant finding lights, which I had all but given up on. Then I found some lights. Then I found someone who was giving away corals in a lab adjoining our building. So now I'm contemplating the idea again, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to do something about the tank's substrate....

It's currently sitting on an UGF. And it's aragonite crushed coral. Fairly coarse stuff, as the tank used to house cichlids.

So... is it possible to simply take the UGF out, rinse the crusehd coral down to the bottom of the tank (about 1-1.5 inches) and then simply lay over with sand for a DSB? I'm a bit hesitant to get rid of the crushed coral as it's chock full of detrivores. Enough the make it look a bit eerie (the substrate's alive!) when I toss a few pellets or flake into the tank to feed the hermits.

Any ideas/opinions? I'm looking for low-effort as I'm really inheriting a lot of the goods rather than actually purchasing and building per se. :p

mr9iron
10/01/2001, 09:10 AM
Imho, I would ditch the crushed coral and throw in a 3 inch layer of southdown. If you want to keep the detrivores try and trap a few of them and put them in the tank with the sand. Give it a little time and they should multiply.:D

Lab giving away coral's huh? What a lucky guy.:D :D