PDA

View Full Version : aragonite sand

auger456
06/15/2004, 03:11 PM
Hi everyone. I am brand new (just in the research phase) of reefing in Franklin, TN. I'm also a maniacal DIY so can't resist making my own rocks like the GARF rocks. Maybe I'll even have a functional reef one day. Hey, I've been rebuilding a sailboat for three years. It's all about the chase.

Anyway, I am looking for Aragonite sand and can't afford to pay the CaribSea prices. I read about Southdown, now owened by YardRight who said on the phone that they sell Home Depot, WalMart and Lowes. Not....... on all three, at least around Franklin.

I talked to one of the MTRC members who said someone in the group had a bunch of it (or did anyway).

If there is any left I could use some. Say about 5 bags. If not, is there a local retail outlet for it?

I did find 20 bags of it in Huntsville and will go down there to buy some if none exists locally.

Well that's it. Hope to meet you all in the near future and certainly will look forward to "learning" from you.

aquaman67
06/15/2004, 03:27 PM
Sorry, I don't have your sand but....

[welcome]

gflat65
06/15/2004, 04:49 PM
auger456
Try to find a username pioneerlog. I got six bags from him a couple of months ago and he had six more at the time. I've not heard of anyone else in the area setting anything up and needing Southdown, so he probably still has them. They were $10/50#. He lives off between Briley Pkwy and Ashland City.

Countzer0
06/15/2004, 05:14 PM
Call Emerald Bay or Ask Chris Seismore they man have his number. Both numbers are listed on mtrc.org

Mdwannabe
06/15/2004, 07:59 PM
Auger456:

Try getting a hold of Geoff Jones (PioneerLogman@comcast.net), if he still has some, please buy from him. He is a great guy who bought far more than he needed to get what he wanted.
If Geoff is out of extra, please contact me, by mistake I bought more from him than I needed.
Again please try Geoff first, then me. Geoff had several extra bags, and I would rather you help him out first. I only have a couple extra 50# bags.

Rick
Mdwannabe@comcast.net

auger456
06/16/2004, 07:10 AM
What a great experience to not only have a group that is really active but one that cares to help too. Thanks so much you guys, I've found my sand through a member and am on my way to a good start. Keep your fingers crossed.

I'm sure we will be getting to know one 'n other soon.