PDA

View Full Version : PC vs. VHO ... output, heat, etc.

freelancing
09/26/2001, 04:09 PM
I got my 140 gal. DAS back in March. It's about 8yrs old (or older) and I got it from the second person to own it.

The lights were in awful condition and I kept getting shocked by one set of the flourescent lights.

Two of the 48" gizmos were working well, so I bought new bulbs for them and I replaced the zapping (electrocuting) pair of 48" Flourescents with a new VHO ballast... one 48" 110w actinic and one 48" 110w AquaSun.

I don't think I am ready (financially and knowledge-wise) for a MH at this time. After hearing about the amount of evaporation people were having w/ MH lights during the last meeting, I know I'm not ready for the constant influx of new water that would be required. I do know that the flourescents really aren't providing adequate light and I'd at least like to brighten the tank for me if not for the fish w/o the worries of melting my living room w/ the MH.

I guess it's because I keep the lids on my tank, but I lose less than 5gallons of water per month to evaporation and I'd like to keep it that way for now... not to mention I can't afford a 5ton A/C unit at this time. :D

I'd like to replace the remaining pair of Flourescents and I was contemplating a duplicate of the VHO set I've got, but I'd like feedback from you guys/gals concerning light output (of which I'm pretty ignorant), heat output and healthy spectrum for my critters. I'm also wondering on the replacement ratio (how often do I have to change bulbs on the PC vs. VHO and what is the cost to do so).

I got my VHO ballast and light kit from Pet Warehouse for about $200 and I'd like to stay in that ballpark.;)

There is some ambient/reflected (not direct) sun light that gives some natural light to the tank... I'm not sure if this means anything or not.

As always, thanks for the abundance of knowledge and info. :)

Iostream
09/26/2001, 10:25 PM
I personally put 3 VHO on my tank, 2 10k (white Actinic) and 1 Super Actinic. I would put a 4th if I had the room. I am using an Icecap 660 which I have heard runs cooler than other VHO Ballasts. My DAS system is only a 70 gal at the moment, and with all VHOs my tank seems to rise about 2.5-3 degrees over the course of the 12 hour light cycle, and drop back down at night... I am not happy with this temp swing, but it seems not too bad. If your tank is larger the temp swings should be even smaller.

Hope this helps,
Iostream

DAS Dude
09/27/2001, 12:05 PM
In my first DAS setup, I used 6-40 watt DAS flourescents, 3 white actinic and 3 blue actinic. I was able to keep all kinds of soft corals and even an elegance coral which doubled in size to the size of a basketball in a year. Since then, I started wanting to keep SPS corals so I upgraded to 2-250 watt MH from Hamilton Technology (online) for right at $400 total. This might be something to look at. However, lighting is one area where you find more opinions than people.

freelancing
09/27/2001, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the info, guys. Actually, I was wondering which would be brighter - VHO vs. PC, how often the bulbs have to be replaced on PC vs. VHO and associated cost, and how much heat PC lights give off compared to VHO, etc.

I've already got a pair of VHO lights, so I've got a good idea on those... I just have no knowledge concerning the Power Compacts (PC) and how they compare to VHO.

Thanks!

David Corbett
09/27/2001, 10:38 PM
I prefer VHO to PC better bulb selection easier to mount yada yada. www.lampsnow.com has an electronic VHO setup complete for 250.00 that’s 4 X 110 watt with endcaps wiring everything. I have heard some good feedback and you won’t beat the price. You could add 4 bulbs to your existing 2 with no problem, and that would be a good setup for your tank. DOC

freelancing
09/28/2001, 08:43 AM
That does sound like an awesome price, but I don't see how I could get a total of 6 bulbs in my tank. I'll check out their site.