PDA

View Full Version : New webspace, testing my pics.

Shak
06/13/2004, 09:21 PM
Full tank picture on first day with new lights.

http://members.cox.net/mharper21/IMG_1106.JPG

Shak
06/13/2004, 09:39 PM
Left side as of today
http://members.cox.net/mharper21/STA_1146.JPG
And the right side
http://members.cox.net/mharper21/STB_1147.JPG

Hopefully my camera skills will improve and I wont have so many reflections and glare. In addition, I need to learn how to do some close up shots, most are fuzzy.

Shak
06/13/2004, 09:40 PM
OMG the size....now something else I need to figure out.

Shak
06/13/2004, 10:16 PM
Well, as you can see I have figured out the size thing, used 10% of my 10MB space with just 3 pics before I changed it.

Forgot to add a full front pic, bear in mind that the aquascaping is in its infancy, I have some work to do still. Anyone want to come help? I suck at the rock placement, its the coral placement where I start to excel!. :lol:

http://members.cox.net/mharper21/IMG_1169.JPG

Nanighan
06/13/2004, 11:40 PM
Matt that is the sweetest looking cabinet I've ever seen. Very elegant!! That must be the TBS rock, also very nice. Is that red thing an algae, I had a similar looking one a few years ago that grew big and looked cool, till it went sexual and polluted my tank.
How about having 2 islands as landscape. Just an idea.

opihi
06/14/2004, 12:29 AM
Hey Matt,
looking good! very interesting stand and canopy.

what area do you live in? i'm always game to come by and help out another reefer. i should really bring my wife though, she's pretty good at the aquascaping thing.

i've been pretty partial to the 2 islands thing myself. i have a pic of my 2 island 100g in my gallery.

Nanighan
06/14/2004, 12:49 AM
Jeff just saw your pic of the 100g, and I must say, that is what I was thinking of. Nice job!!! What kind of lighting do you have on it?se/de? Looks like 20k.

clown2be
06/14/2004, 12:57 AM
The stand a canopy looks like your watching T.V. Cool

opihi
06/14/2004, 12:59 AM
thanks ron. unfortunately, that tank was dismantled and is now dry docked in my garage. i just have a 50g that i set up temporarily until my home is built. :(

those are 20k DE XMs. kinda blue, but your eyes get used to it. they were decent lights, i got fairly good growth, and seemed to get excellent coloration out of them. next time around though, i think i'm going to try the 10k BLV bulbs. they're pricey, but i've seen it on some extraordinary reefs back in the bay area.

Shak
06/14/2004, 01:07 AM
I live in Seven Hills, and you are more than welcome to come and help out, including your wife. My wife is better at is as well.

I like the two island decorating as well, but my wife isnt sold on it, and there is so much rock i dont know if its possible, whoever said this rock is dense is crazy, i should have ordered less.

If anyone is interested in assisting on the aquascaping, let me know when, I could use all the help I can get! I'll give you credit for helping when i become rich and famous.

Shak
06/14/2004, 01:12 AM
Oh sorry, forgot to respond to the others.

Ron: Thanks, I like the stand but it is a bit cramped for me. Yes that is a red macro algae that will not be staying for long, it came on the 2nd shipment and is really nice looking, but im not going to leave that ticking time bomb in there long enough to go sexual.

clown2be: thanks for the kind words, but my wife picked the stand/canopy, i cannot take credit.

Jeff: get over here and help, bring Amy, Ron and Mike with you! :lol: I think one of the things that makes it the most difficult is the AMOUNT of life on the rock, its near impossible to keep everything facing the right way and in the correct amount of current.

opihi
06/14/2004, 01:49 AM
Hey man, you're talking to a recent import... WTH is seven hills? i've never even heard of it. if it's close to silverado ranch, maybe we can meet up during the week. if not, then maybe the LVVR meeting after party might have to be in seven hills. :D

BTW, you might wanna sit your wife down by the 'puter and show her pics of various tanks that you like. it was only after i did that when my wife took an interest in the hobby. lucky for me, she actually wants me to have a killer tank. unfortunately for me, she wants me to have a killer tank without spending any money.:lol: i'm hoping she'll come around eventually. i'm already having her look over my shoulder while i surf the reefermadness site.

TippyToeX
06/14/2004, 01:59 AM
Outstanding Matt! That stand & hood are just perfect. Your wife needs to do some shopping for me! :lol: Do you know what kind of wood it is made of?

One of the best prefab tanks (dimension wise) is the 75g IMHO. You can go for the two island look which I love. One higher than the other, the smaller closer to the front of the tank for depth. Then if you are feeling frisky, have the smaller island U shaped for a lagoon look. How wicked would that look with some T. maxs clustered about. :D

Nanighan
06/14/2004, 06:19 AM
Seven Hills is in your neck of thewoods Jeff in Henderson/Green Valley.

Shak
06/14/2004, 10:46 AM
Silverado Ranch is a whopping 0.5 miles from Seven Hills. I could probably throw a rock off my balcony and hit your house Jeff.

South east on the hill, right off St. Rose Parkway at the Spencer intersection.

Thanks for the kind words guys, I dont know what the stand is made of, though the top piece the tank sits on is a1" very strong laminated plywood (I think), it about killed my hole saw to drill through that stuff, very strong. The stand does have some drawbacks, those drawers are real, and take up quite a bit of the space underneith the stand, my Euroreef skimmer has exactly 1/8" clearance to remove the lid so I can pour the skimmate off.

I have a 10 switch electrical panel in one drawer, and the wavetimer and PH monitor in the other. I still havent found a place for the balast so it is in the stand now (I know, I know), but it is away from the sump/water and im running a small fan while the halides are on to dissipate moisture and heat. I'll try to post some pics of the underneath tonight when I get home.

The plant to the left of the tank is on top of a wicker basket covering the chiller, I cut out the back of the basket where the fan exhaust blows out. Looks really nice and doesnt seem to be affecting the chiller negatively, it only comes on for a couple hours a day during MH time and keeps a rock steady temp of 80.

BTW, anyone want a mantis shrimp? He is really cool looking, redish body with purple smashers, though he doesnt care for me anymore after i squirted freshwater in his hideout. He popped out so fast he caught air and did a back flip into the collection cup.

opihi
06/14/2004, 01:18 PM
well, since you're so close, i'd be happy to come by if you're willing... if i can't help with the aquascaping, it'd be cool to meet you and check out your new system.

also, i'll take the mantis. i've been wanting to put a nano on my desk, sounds like the perfect inhabitant!