PDA

View Full Version : June's MASLAC meeting highlights

algaeguy
06/13/2004, 08:06 PM
Hello Everyone!

Last night was another excellent MASLAC monthly meeting and another full house! The evening started with Dave Botwin's talk about his tank and system. It was very detailed and Dave actually managed to hold the attention of everyone there for the entire length of his presentation. And that is something with this group!

Following Dave, we had Barry Neigut of ClamsDirect. He gave a very interesting presentation on selecting and caring for giant clams. Barry generously donated a $50.00 gift certificate from ClamsDirect to the raffle. Congrats to Konadog (Ken) for scoring that certificate.

Besides the gift certificate, we had a RO/DI system won by Mark Reed, our membership chairman. And speaking of membership, we added two more members to our club! We our on a very steady growth clip with new members being added each month. We also had frags donated by Dave Botwin as well as other items donated by Kent Marine and Coralife.

We have an excellent line up coming in the next few months with some big names stopping by MASLAC such as Julian Sprung, Mike Palleta, possibly Eric Borneman, and Daniel Knop at our Holiday Party. Other outside activities include a road trip to Monterey Bay Aquarium, possible scuba trip to Catalina, and of course our Fall Frag Swap and Tank Tour coming down the line.

Exciting times ahead at MASLAC, and now is the time to join.

Regards,
Scott F.
Publicity Chair

Konadog
06/13/2004, 09:11 PM
Thanks Scott!

I would really like to thank Barry of Clams Direct for providing the club with such a great prize. I hope that he and his wife made it home OK as we keep them late talking in the parking lot until 11:00. It's not every day you can speek with someone that knows so much about clams like Barry.

thetedinator
06/13/2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by algaeguy
Hello Everyone!

Last night was another excellent MASLAC monthly meeting and another full house! The evening started with Dave Botwin's talk about his tank and system. It was very detailed and Dave actually managed to hold the attention of everyone there for the entire length of his presentation. And that is something with this group!

Following Dave, we had Barry Neigut of ClamsDirect. He gave a very interesting presentation on selecting and caring for giant clams. Barry generously donated a $50.00 gift certificate from ClamsDirect to the raffle. Congrats to Konadog (Ken) for scoring that certificate.

Besides the gift certificate, we had a RO/DI system won by Mark Reed, our membership chairman. And speaking of membership, we added two more members to our club! We our on a very steady growth clip with new members being added each month. We also had frags donated by Dave Botwin as well as other items donated by Kent Marine and Coralife.

We have an excellent line up coming in the next few months with some big names stopping by MASLAC such as Julian Sprung, Mike Palleta, possibly Eric Borneman, and Daniel Knop at our Holiday Party. Other outside activities include a road trip to Monterey Bay Aquarium, possible scuba trip to Catalina, and of course our Fall Frag Swap and Tank Tour coming down the line.

Exciting times ahead at MASLAC, and now is the time to join.

Regards,
Scott F.
Publicity Chair

Yes. Another great meeting. Dave B's presentation was awesome and Barry's film and slide show rocked. As for the raffle prizes, don't forget that Ken (Salt Creep) won the 60g tank and stand donated by Lance. We can look forward to two excellent tanks the next time we tour Ken's.

Ted

Geogal17
06/14/2004, 02:10 AM
Hey, you actually gained 3 new members. I know my husband is quiet and we're joined at the hip, but for income tax purposes they count us as two people. :D

In all seriousness I am hoping by bringing my husband he'll actually understand what I'm babbling about as he helps me clean the skimmer ( being pregnant has its perks). ;)

Sorry If I babbled during my introduction...I wasn't expecting ot have to speak in front of a group of strangers and I was suddenly overcome with the feeling of being a 4th grader in front of a bunch of "big people". :strange: Some people made us feel really welcome, a few others seemed to regard our 50 gallon as nothing more than a goldfish bowl- maybe they didn't realize we've had a tank for 3 years, my husband grew up with salt water tanks and I'm not as stupid as I may seem when it comes to reef tanks- but oh well. I'll try to get to know everyone in time. :)

We actually both enjoyed it...the video on how to make "clam margaritas" ( if you were there you'll get what I mean) was a little out there for me but it sure was memorable. Now i find myself wanting a clam...muaw hahaha.

on one last note, as if I wasn't impressed by o2manyfish before, I am certainly in awe of him now. :rollface:

algaeguy
06/14/2004, 09:11 AM
Oops!

3 New members! We don't want to count anyone out!
(Now you know whay I'm not Membership Chairperson!

Welcome to MASLAC!!

Scott F.

loserkidz
06/14/2004, 10:41 PM
hello everyone,
as one of the other new members that joined at the last meeting. I just wanted to appologize to everyone that was there for spazzing out during my introduction, I have a little problem with speaking infront of strangers. I look forward to meeting all of you at the next meeting, and if you don't mind I would like to post some specs and pics later of my tank to give you a little background of myself.
Once again thanks for the great welcoming and look forward to getting the most out of your clubs wealth of knowledge and experience.
Brent Higa

thetedinator
06/14/2004, 11:17 PM
By all means, post the pics and spec. I for one would like to hear more. Your tank sounds great.

loserkidz
06/14/2004, 11:58 PM
Hi everyone,
just thought I'd give you a brief description of my tank and how it has evolved over the years, and sorry ahead of time on the lack of professional quality pics most of you guys have of your tanks and corals, maybe one day I will get a real camera:D I started my first sw tank back in 95'. It was a 100g used acrylic, like most of us was only going to put lr and fish only,but then saw how much nicer it would look with maybe just one coral. which later became two and you know the rest of the story. Four years later my wife said get rid of the two 100's and build just one large tank big enough so that it would be your last purchase.
So I drew out my designs and my only stipulation was to have a design I hadn't seen before in such a large scale. My wife had a 12g seaclear system II which was in a flat back hex design. I sent the specs to a few wellknow manufactures and was shot outrageous quotes or just told me it couldn't be done to my specs. I found a place in san diego who was half the price of tenecor and built it exactly to my specs, which is 72"x30"x40". I built the stand, canopy,lighting system which consists of 4 400w 10k xm's and 4 vho actinics. i am using a ampmaster 3600 for return from the 40g sump and also driving my lifereef vs3 60" skimmer which i am also injecting ozone through using a red sea 200mg with controller. For circulation I just switched from 4 rio 2500s to the 4 seios I picked up from dave a few weeks back. There is 750#s of mixed maarshal,vanesi, and also fiji LR, with a bunch of corals from my old tank and also some frags and colonies that I have aquired from different reefers over the years. I am currently battling a nverending war with aptasias so if anyone has a copperband that is craving some aps I am looking to purchase one.http://images.snapfish.com/33%3A%3A4%3A4323232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D768%3D55%3A%3DXROQDF%3E2323549656%3A97ot1lsi http://images.snapfish.com/33%3A%3A4%3A4323232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D768%3D55%3A%3DXROQDF%3E2323555496487ot1lsi http://images.snapfish.com/33%3A%3A4%3A4323232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D768%3D55%3A%3DXROQDF%3E232354%3A7%3A3%3A%3C7ot1lsi http://images.snapfish.com/33%3A%3A4%3A4323232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D768%3D55%3A%3DXROQDF%3E2323545975%3B76ot1lsi http://images.snapfish.com/33%3A%3A4%3A4323232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D768%3D55%3A%3DXROQDF%3E23235554972%3B5ot1lsi http://images.snapfish.com/33%3A%3A4%3A4323232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D768%3D55%3A%3DXROQDF%3E232355549%3C6%3A5ot1lsi

Konadog
06/15/2004, 12:04 AM
Brent, with a tank like that you shouldn't need to apologize for not being able to speak in front of strangers. That is one very nice (and original) tank.

Nice job! :thumbsup:

csunracer
06/15/2004, 12:58 AM
Beautiful tank :)

Geogal17
06/15/2004, 01:58 AM
wow Brent!
me and the hubby were talking on the way home about how a hex in that size would look...man that tank is awesome! :beer:

cali_reef
06/15/2004, 08:34 AM
WOW!!

Nice tank, when will you be on the tank tour? I might fly back for that one :lol:

thetedinator
06/15/2004, 08:40 AM
Crap. I just came down with another case of aquarium envy.

Nice tank. Thanks for sharing.

loserkidz
06/15/2004, 12:21 PM
Thanks everybody for being kind toward my tank, there is still alot of room for improvement and a whole lot more room for corals. So if anyone is interested in frag trades or selling frags hit me up. I have listed some on Roys site localfraggers.com , but am always looking for something interesting. Oh by the way, there is one pic that isn't recent, back in I think march I had a mishap with a DIY chiller. Long story short I lost a few colonies, but I had to get back on the horse and am trying to restock it again!!!! Brent

ejocam
06/15/2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by loserkidz
Long story short I lost a few colonies, but I had to get back on the horse and am trying to restock it again!!!! Brent

Brent, did you lose that Monti Effusa you got from me? Anyhow I think you are a pretty modest and great guy. I met Ben like 2-3 years ago and has always been a gentle(Ben)man:D His tank was awesome then and I am sure it is still now. Moving back to my old stomping ground will make visits a lot easier on both of us. Keep up the great work:thumbsup:

loserkidz
06/15/2004, 02:00 PM
Eric,
I had picked up the Efusa from you on a Saturday along with those humongus caps from Sean, anyways the thing with the chiller happened like the next week. I lost one of Seans caps, which is he green on in the bottom of one of the pics and your effsa also. I thinks it was Madison who had also got a piece and lost it too. He had emailed me to see if I could get him a frag, and I had to sadly tell him what had happend. The denae I got from you made it and is doing great. I am actually giving Roy a piece to try in his tank. Do you still have the other half?

ejocam
06/15/2004, 02:08 PM
Yes I do have the Danae/Verucossa. It is doing great and getting brighter. Eventually the polyps will turn purple the way it was when imported. BTW your tank does not seem empty. PM me about the Copperband.