PDA

View Full Version : Using charcoal in reef setup?

thetedinator
06/13/2004, 07:22 PM
How do you use charcoal in your reef setup? Do you use it once in a while using an external fileter? Do you use all the time and if so, how often do you change it and where do you use (sump, etc.)?

Thanks,

Ted

algaeguy
06/13/2004, 08:11 PM
Hi Ted,

I am a big fan of activated carbon myself. I use it continuously. You can use it passively the way I do, or in a dedicated canister filter or other mechanical filtration device. The way I use it is to keep several ounces of carbon in a meshbag in a high flow area of my sump. I usually keep two bags at a time in there and rotate every three weeks or so. This way you're not creating a nutrient trap by keeping clogged carbon in your system after its absorbtion capability have declined or expired. I like SeaChem's Matrix carbon and I've also used Sprung's hydrocarbon II. Just chose a good grade of phosphate free activated carbon and rinse it out well before using. Then, replace on a regular basis. I have used carbon continuously without any problems or complications.

Hope this helps.

Scott F.

thetedinator
06/13/2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by algaeguy
Hi Ted,

I am a big fan of activated carbon myself. I use it continuously. You can use it passively the way I do, or in a dedicated canister filter or other mechanical filtration device. The way I use it is to keep several ounces of carbon in a meshbag in a high flow area of my sump. I usually keep two bags at a time in there and rotate every three weeks or so. This way you're not creating a nutrient trap by keeping clogged carbon in your system after its absorbtion capability have declined or expired. I like SeaChem's Matrix carbon and I've also used Sprung's hydrocarbon II. Just chose a good grade of phosphate free activated carbon and rinse it out well before using. Then, replace on a regular basis. I have used carbon continuously without any problems or complications.

Hope this helps.

Scott F.

Thanks Scott.

OUinLA
06/14/2004, 12:00 AM
i just dump it in my filter sock (after rinsing of course)

eums
06/15/2004, 10:03 PM
i just added maybe 4 table spoons or less of carbon to my tank and the water looks alot clearer. i have never run carbon befor but i can look long ways through the side of my tank and i do not see any light green tint in the water. i just put it in a filter bag and put it in my fuge ( after i rinsed it out in ro/di water)

luger
06/16/2004, 01:13 PM
Ive been running black diamond carbon for years 24/7 in sump under overflow hose in a nylon bag.Gets changed 1 a month.

David P
06/16/2004, 09:57 PM
I keep activated carbon in a sock down in the sump 24/7 I use the charcoal for when the fish get too big and have a BBQ. Sorry Ted, I couldnt resist.

thetedinator
06/17/2004, 08:27 PM
Thanks for input everyone. I am now running charcoal in my sump in the filter sock which (based on the small response sample) seems to be the prefered method.

Ted

AWExotics
06/18/2004, 03:21 AM
I use a CPR bak Pak CVT (In Sump Skimmer). I place a bag of Kent Reef Carbon (rinsed) in the out take. I use it for 1-2 weeks every month. This is approximate length of time as I am forgetful.

Todd

Dag
07/10/2004, 10:30 PM
Where's a good source for Black Diamond charcoal?

David P
07/10/2004, 11:42 PM
I dunno about the windy city but out here even the crappy LFS sell it by me... sorry I cant help ya more.

AWExotics
07/11/2004, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Dag

It's a Marineland product so it should be available at nearly any LFS. If they don't Stock it (I do not) they can get it from probably any supplier they use.

Todd

TurboRook
07/11/2004, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Dag

I even saw a couple containers at Petco when i was buying dog food the other day. Kinda suprised me since they usually only have Kent and Aquarium Pharmeceuticals.

Dag
07/11/2004, 12:04 PM
I want to buy it in bulk quantities.