PDA

View Full Version : Killing fish and inverts Animal cruelty?

gregt
06/12/2004, 10:48 AM
Last week one of our LFS had their main SW tank bleached by an irate customer. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that the Sheriff charged the accused with Animal Cruelty. If he has a decent lawyer he'll probably get off as no one actually saw him put anything in the tank, but at least they charged him with it.

monkeyprof
06/12/2004, 11:49 AM
Yikes that sucks, bleach and all. If the guy really wanted to do some damage and not get noticed he could've plunked in a mantis shrimp.

Fantasy Reefer
06/12/2004, 08:32 PM
I hope that he has the worst lawer in the state.

saltshop
06/13/2004, 12:31 AM
I would consider killing any animal (even simplistic corals) as "cruelty" when done just for the sake of revenge/malice. With no witnesses I doubt it will go far but at least he will have the hastle of having to defend himself.

staticfishmonger
06/14/2004, 07:49 AM
those "simplistic" corals have survied on this earth much longer than we have and ever will most likely. that is the worst thing i have heard of. total lack of respect for living creatures. i hope he is punished to the fullest of the law. it really is pathetic that there are people out there like that. that makes me angry all animal cruelty does. i hope he feels real good about himself for doing that. yeah real tuff guy, hurt and kill animals that are completly deffenceless and dependent on us for there survival.
i only hope he gets what he deserves and he is lucky that it isnt up to me to decide.

DJ88©
06/14/2004, 10:54 AM
because of this wasn't he nailed for a parole violation as well? He may get it in the end. Somewhat. hopefully he gets more than he expects.. :mad:

wooglin
06/14/2004, 04:06 PM
<!--Some copper pennies would have worked much better, and not so obviously. Not that I condone the act.-->

EDIT BY GREGT -> Some things just don't need to be said.

MiddletonMark
06/14/2004, 04:15 PM
Yikes. Not a lot I can say other than I'm saddened.

VolitanLioness
06/14/2004, 05:48 PM
That is a shame, we need tougher animal cruelty laws. They let people off to easy.

Kaye

Abominable Reefer
06/14/2004, 06:01 PM
I agree. This guy will get a slap on the wrist. You can maliciously kill a dog and not even go to jail. I doubt this clow will get what he deserves.

cwd547
06/14/2004, 10:18 PM
I was in this LFS the week before and was thinking of buying a few items from this tank, but decided to wait a week and went back and seen this tank after this idiot did this, It made me sick to see this.

TGBrown
06/14/2004, 10:29 PM
I don't think he'll get what he deserves either....but he deserves ALOT!

cwd547
06/14/2004, 10:35 PM
I agree, I seen what he did and It should be a felony If it's not.

obarrera
06/15/2004, 01:39 AM
They should slap him for that!http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/ups/bounty_hunter_monkey/biggrin.gif

spiderweb
06/16/2004, 01:08 AM
They should bleach his *alls!:mad2:

staticfishmonger
06/16/2004, 01:40 AM
he added a deadly chemical to there inviroment, he should be locked up in a little room where they can then add things to his enviroment (air) like tear gas and maybe finish it off with a little syanide....... ok ok that may be a little to extreme (eye for an eye) ,but the punishment for such acts should be severe, or at least the same as if he had poisend a buch of dogs or cats. animal cruelty is animal cruelty, just cause it was against fish doesnt mean the punishment should be less. it should be the same as it would for other animals..

Scuba_Dave
06/16/2004, 08:48 AM
Perhaps someone should make some exlax brownies for him

blgreef
06/23/2004, 09:34 AM
Much nastier things then bleach (not from the livestocks view) at least a lot of the equipment etc can be re-used.

I think a Uk display tank was dosed with a solution that meant the rocks and any thing that absorbed it was a write off.

Anything with copper is bad news

ReeferAl
06/27/2004, 07:48 AM
What that person did was horrible. It was malicious destruction of property and senseless killing. Based on the likely value of the livestock, the property damage I would think may be a felony.
I have a real problem with the "animal cruelty" charge though. Does that mean that if I prune my SPS corals I am being cruel-casually causing wonton harm to the corals? If I have to discard the pruned branches because they are out-growing the tank and I don't have anyone to give them to at the moment is that coral murder? Maybe the "tang police" should start reporting those violators to the animal rights people and the FBI when they put a tang into a 30 gal tank.
Frankly, I just don't think extending "animal rights" laws to corals is a good precedent for any of us. JMO
Allen

Scuba_Dave
06/29/2004, 12:38 PM
I think fish were killed, not just corals, resulting in the animal cruelty charge?

ichthyman
06/29/2004, 01:13 PM
I think fish were killed, not just corals, resulting in the animal cruelty charge?

Nope, the DA is charging him with animal cruelty for killing invertebrates. This is a first time anyone in Pinellas County has been charged with animal cruelty of a non-vertebrate.

Scuba_Dave
06/29/2004, 01:58 PM
Well I'll have to be careful when I flush my Xenia....no witnesses

imbuggin
06/29/2004, 02:50 PM
this happened a few years ago here in chicago as well. They guy was arrested and held financially liable for all damages ( i believe a fellony charge. There were punitive damages as well. Mostly due to fincial losses. I do not believe he was charge with any kind of animal crulity. The store was sea shell aquarium ..now know as old orchard aquarium. It happened under the old ownership.

People are crazy! and dumb

gregt
06/29/2004, 03:15 PM
Interesting moral dilemna.
The assertion, if I understand it is:

If it's ok to flush xenia why is killing a tank of coral cruel?

I can certainly see both sides of the argument.

Is there a difference between putting a stray dog to sleep that has a poor temperment and a neighbor poisoning your dog?

I think there is a moral difference, however difficult it may be to draw the line....

Saliki
06/30/2004, 05:16 PM
I would have to believe that the Animal Cruelty charge wont stick, but something about willful destruction of property or such will. I mean, its really bad thing to do, but dont forget there are these guys called bug men out there who kill bugs and rodents all day, and they arent going to jail.

Dz99ls
06/30/2004, 08:14 PM
i read this story this jerk did this just cuz the lfs would swap him a blue grouper for a "prettier" one they just got was an A-Hole

downset
07/02/2004, 05:53 PM
anybody got a link?

Dz99ls
07/02/2004, 07:39 PM
http://www.sptimes.com/2004/06/12/Northpinellas/Fish_purchase_becomes.shtml i believe this si the right one

Flipturn88
07/05/2004, 12:35 PM
Oh my, that is beyond sad! I wouldn't want that guy in my store.

badbu68
07/05/2004, 01:06 PM
send him a blue ringed octo anyone?

chaetomorph
07/15/2004, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by Scuba_Dave
Well I'll have to be careful when I flush my Xenia....no witnesses

So That's why I have pulsing Xenia growin up out of my toilet.. Nice! :)
Pics of the "Nano John" coming soon...

directfish2
07/15/2004, 04:46 PM
i hate people like that and think we should do the same to them suick him in a room and slowly fill it with bleech HAHAHA

GreasyMidget
07/18/2004, 03:22 PM
[profanity]

(NOTE from mod: the auto-censor is there for a reason)

CH
07/21/2004, 09:39 PM
That is pretty sick that somebody who has an aqurium himself would do this! Even if he never gets charged, I think the LFS should sue his butt for damages and get him to pay for the cost of everything destroyed. That should a bit of a fine!

And by the way, next time any of you have to flush some Xenia or whatever, I'd be more than happy to take some off of your hands. You know, so you don't have to feel guilty about killing innocent creatures! (no really, even the smallest bits would be fine. I'm nervous about spending much more than $10 on anything until I know it will live!)

Chris

Dana&PJ
07/29/2004, 01:36 AM
I always blows my mind that people can get so worked up over animal cruelty. Its sad when people hurt animals, but just once I'd like to see all the animal rights enthusiasts get all worked up over abused children or battered wives.
I'd like for every movie that is released to have to make a big donation to social workers to get a stupid disclaimer at the end of every movie that reads "No women or children were harmed in the making of this film" like PETA does for animals.
Perhaps we ought to reserve "Felonies" for the larger injures to society.
I love my fish, but lets try to get it into perspective.

Ira NZ
07/29/2004, 07:08 AM
Why should I care about battered women? It's their fault they're with the guy to begin with. And people aren't that valuable, if anything people are a huge pest like locusts or a plague of rabbits or possums. Any other animal that's grown to such massive levels of overpopulation it's best to try and cull them for their own good. Forced sterilization, shooting, hunting...

*Insert stirring motion here*

DgenR8
07/29/2004, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Ira NZ
Why should I care about battered women? It's their fault they're with the guy to begin with. And people aren't that valuable, if anything people are a huge pest like locusts or a plague of rabbits or possums. Any other animal that's grown to such massive levels of overpopulation it's best to try and cull them for their own good. Forced sterilization, shooting, hunting...

*Insert stirring motion here*

http://www.members.shaw.ca/rcsmilies/caution3.gif If this thread follows the direction that post has set, it's guaranteed to be closed.

VolitanLioness
07/29/2004, 08:28 AM
Why should I care about battered women? It's their fault they're with the guy to begin with.
I very much disagree with this comment, many women do try and get out of the relationship just to be stalked and killed.
Here is good example of a current case: S.C. v. Lindsey: Man shoots wife in police station parking lot

One of the leading causes of death in pregnant women are men.
I am not saying all men so those of you that are good guys please dont take this personally.

I also believe when a child is raised in a situation such as abuse it can be a vicious circle. They may beat their wife and kids.

We need tougher laws on Animal Cruelty, For Abused Women, Exploited Children and Child Abuse.
We cannot and should not turn our backs on these issues that are happening everyday in our society.

I will not blame the victim, I will blame the abuser.

Kaye

gregt
07/29/2004, 08:32 AM
Larry's warning was pretty clear. Since I started the thread, I'm going to close it now. :( If somebody wants to add something relevant to it let me know and I'll think about re-opening it.