PDA

View Full Version : Emeral Bay of Nashville TN Great LFS

Sir Knight
06/12/2004, 12:17 AM
I posted this in the vendors forum and had to post it here.

I ordered a 29 gallon AGA oak tank, stand and canopy from Sean of Emerald Bay two weeks ago. The stand and canopy came in last week but not the tank, so they reordered. This week again no tank. Sean went to a competitors store and bought it there so I could have my setup complete. Now that is customer service. I don't know of any LFS that would go that far out of their way to satisfy a customer. Thanks Sean and Emerald Bay you have a loyal customer and friend.
Also thank you Robert for carrying the tank to my car so I wouldn't get my suit dirty.

two thumbs up :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

fishdoc11
06/12/2004, 07:24 AM
They ARE a great fish store! We are lucky to have them:-)
Chris

aquaman67
06/12/2004, 07:53 AM
That is always great to hear.

There have been other threads about them, but I think they are in the Tennessee Reefers forum.

When are we going to see the pics Joe?

Oldschooler
06/12/2004, 08:48 AM
Wow. *blushes* Thanks, man... I didn't realise ('cause I had just come back from lunch) that Sean had TOLD you where we got the tank! I wasn't going to tell! Oh, well... Sometimes it's REALLY cool having a PetCo up the road -it's saved our butts more than once! LOL

We've been having continuing problems with certain vendors passing us up for *other* stores (telling us things are "out" but then shipping the same product to the other stores in town), but it just keeps us sharp. Makes us innovate, ya know?

Thanks again for your appreciations!
~Roberto

Sir Knight
06/12/2004, 11:48 PM
No Robert THANK YOU and SEAN. The reason being, you and Sean could have said was hey Joe the tank didn't come in: you can either wait another week or we can refund your money. You guys didn't do that. Sean went out of his way to go to another store bought the tank and then called and said hey Joe we have your tank come get it.

That is IMO a store that wants to take care of their customers. We need more stores like your's in this hobby.

Please don't stop doing what your doing

OK, Three thumbs up :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Countzer0
06/13/2004, 12:21 AM
Sean goes crazy for a sharped dressed man .... heheh .. sorry i think there is a ZZTop lyric in there somewhere

A. Critter Killer
06/13/2004, 10:56 AM
LMAO! "Hey-Zues" good call....I guess. 'Preciate all the compliments.

Chris, I SHOULD be delivering your 90 r/r tonight, but I may be running just a touch behind. ----Sean

fishdoc11
06/13/2004, 10:18 PM
Thanks for delivering the 90 Sean. Once again, that's service!
Chris

Mdwannabe
06/23/2004, 08:26 PM
I could not agree more concerning Emeral Bay, hey as far as I'm concerened they got MTRC started (may not be true but it is my opnion).....LOL
Let's try to do something for them, please go to CITYSEARCH, log into nashville, and do a search on Emerald Bay, after getting to their business info please submit a business review, it only costs a few keystrokes, but may pay them back big time.

Rick

jackal4eva
06/24/2004, 09:30 AM
Emerald Bay embodies what a pet store should be. They value long term relationships by guiding you correctly. Unlike other private pet stores in the area they appreciate newcomers and they never sell you things you do not need. Some other local stores are pretty arrogant and force things upon their shoppers.

Its way out of my way (distance), but I try to go swing by once a week or two.

You know a customer intimate business is running well when they know people's names and they value long term relationships. The prices seem to be much more reasonable than anywhere else too and the quality of fish is outstanding.

Rob & Sean, you guys rock. Rock on.

jackal4eva
06/24/2004, 09:35 AM
Emerald Bay embodies what a pet store should be. They value long term relationships by guiding you correctly. Unlike other private pet stores in the area they appreciate newcomers and they never sell you things you do not need. Some other local stores are pretty arrogant and force things upon their shoppers.

Its way out of my way (distance), but I try to go swing by once a week or two.

You know a customer intimate business is running well when they know people's names and they value long term relationships. The prices seem to be much more reasonable than anywhere else too and the quality of fish is outstanding.

Rob & Sean, you guys rock. Rock on.

greystreet41
07/01/2004, 07:28 AM
why have I lived in nashville 2 years and have no idea what/where Emerald Bay is? btw, my name is Casey. Just directed to this forum. I'm very new to the hobby, and it's very cool to see so many other people from the area.
thanks,
casey

aquaman67
07/01/2004, 07:31 AM
Sorry Casey,

I forgot to give you the Web address for the Club.

http://www.mtrc.org/

Go to the directory for some LFS. EB is in Belleview

greystreet41
07/01/2004, 08:23 AM
ahh, that's why. I live on the east side of town...closer to aquatic critters and fish bowl. I've never had reason to go to bellevue. I do now! thanks Jack.

casey

sunamoon
07/01/2004, 09:28 PM
I too have enjoyed my couple of trips to EB. I live an hour away. So i really dont get down there as much as i would like too. Both times i have made the trip it has been memorable. I ordered my ocean "live seeding sand" from them, it was a great price! The staff was wonderful to talk with. Didn't mind me pestering them with questions. Big thumbs up! any thoughts on opening an EB2 store near the rivergate area? I live half an hour from there north. but it would be easier to get there than to bellevue. :)

Be Well
Suna

Oldschooler
07/11/2004, 11:21 PM
Sorry I have been AWOL, lately, everyone. Jackal, thanks a million for the kind words! We (I) have good days and bad days (like anyone else), but you've always been one to make our job EASY. [You're] always a pleasure to wait on! Thanks, too, for bringing in your buddies. THAT'S a compliment, in and of itself!

~Roberto

EvilMel
07/12/2004, 02:10 PM
I guess I totally should go check out you guys' store when I am in town next weekend. Bellvue is far as hell from where I am gonna be, but hopefully everyone will want to go anyways.

Oldschooler
07/12/2004, 10:46 PM
EvilMel, I've seen you on R.C. for as long as I can remember. Tell ya what... I can't say, until I know how many people "everyone" is, but I will gladly buy your lunch if you stop by on a saturday (when most of us are there) and just say "hi"! Penn Station RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...Just ask Sideways. ;)

Oldschooler
07/12/2004, 10:48 PM
Dang... Too much work, too little sleep... Meant to say "I can't say, until I know how many people "everyone" is, that I will buy EVERYONE'S lunch, but..." LOL

EvilMel
07/13/2004, 08:55 AM
Hah hah. Thanks man. Everyone is at most four people (but probably three). It's me, my mom, and my husband. But you don't have to buy us lunch. I am gonna go see the store either way. Do you guys have a web site? I could just call for directions otherwise. Either way I'll make it there somehow.

cmashman
07/15/2004, 07:40 AM
I've got a couple of friends here at work who live in Bellvue that go there for FW stuff, but I didn't get the impression that there was any "salt" to the store. I thought the only 'salty' place in the "greater Nashville area" was Aquatic Critter to buy supplies and livestock. I've got my 20H on the downward slope of the cycle, so I will be looking for livestock soon.

Oldschooler
07/15/2004, 07:49 AM
"I thought the only 'salty' place in the 'greater Nashville area' was Aquatic Critter to buy supplies and livestock."

*giggles to self* :)

cmashman
07/15/2004, 08:45 AM
Ok, Ok. Point taken. What are your prospects on live rock and/or live sand? Right now my tank is devoid of life save the nitrifiying bacteria hard at work. I work in downtown, so I could swing by there on my lunch break. I would assume the rock/sand could stay here in the office with me for a few hours (AC at 73) before I go home.

kevlouie
07/15/2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by cmashman
Ok, Ok. Point taken. What are your prospects on live rock and/or live sand? Right now my tank is devoid of life save the nitrifiying bacteria hard at work. I work in downtown, so I could swing by there on my lunch break. I would assume the rock/sand could stay here in the office with me for a few hours (AC at 73) before I go home.

Your best prospects for live sand is other reefers giving you some of theirs.

berto, you guys need to set a small sand bed in the store and have every body donate a cup for a community source!!! (yes I know I'm a genius- no ladies I'm taken) :lol: We could dump a few bags of southdown in to start it.

Pandarian
07/15/2004, 10:18 AM
I've been there a few times. Great shop guys http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

cmashman
07/15/2004, 12:18 PM
Just got back from a lunchtime jaunt to EB. Bought two pieces of live rock to kickstart my DIY rock. Best service at a LFS I ever had. Penn Station Philly Cheese Steak was awesome, thanks guys.
Let's just say that I can't see a reason to go anywhere else. Told all my co-workers that it is the place to go.

Oldschooler
07/15/2004, 08:40 PM
Hey, great to have met you, cmashman.

Hey, thanks for the nod, yellowboyviet. We're so glad you like it!

Kev... You... ARE... a genius! Seriously. That is a FANTASTIC idea! I mean, it's not like anyone would need more than a fishbag worth at a time to "seed" their own bed, so we wouldn't have to charge a dime! Of course, it wouldn't take the place of larger (purchased) quantities for cyclical purposes, but for seeding purposes that IS a mahvelous idea!!!

Oldschooler
07/15/2004, 08:41 PM
On the above note, I've been thinking about growing our own phytoplankton. I haven't done it yet, 'cause I just KNOW it will be too big a pain in the ***.

EvilMel
07/15/2004, 10:13 PM
Actually growing your own phytoplankton is quite easy. The trick is to get media that supports their growth, which I don't think plain saltwater will. Not sure about that though. They don't need a carbon source, but I am not sure if commercailly sold salt mixes contain all the necessary ingredients for phytoplankton growth.

A friend of mine takes a DTs bottle and just refills it when it is reduced by 1/3 volume. Sticking it in a window would probably work.

Btw we grow numerous types of phytoplankton (both prokaryotic and eukaryotic) in the lab I just finished my Ph.D. in. I don't think it would be all that difficult really.

Kev...that is a totally awesome idea about the sand.

Here's my question though: Lots of people I know are suddenly getting flatworms. What if your sand got contaminated with flatworms? Or some other thing that's less than ideal to have?

Countzer0
07/15/2004, 11:16 PM
i have seen 6 line wrasses knock out huge flatworm infestations

Oldschooler
07/16/2004, 07:45 AM
Okay, let me rephrase that... It would be a pain in MY *** to grow phtyoplankton AT THE STORE, because I have limited window space, and kids and assorted bulls-in-china-shops would constantly be disrupting the cultures, etc. I suppose I *could* grow the stuff in the back of the store using p.c.s, but the current state of our back room is not amenable to such proclivities.

And Jason is correct about the six-lines eating the flatworms, as do a few commercially-available Nudibranch "slugs".

Mel, it's GREAT that you are a phD! We've needed another person with letters behind their name to quote around here!!! (This is actually an inside joke, one that we'll let you in on the first time we see you in person! -Remind me!). ;)

EvilMel
07/16/2004, 08:16 AM
Hey do you guys have any six-line wrasses.

I PMd you but you never responded. hah hah.

I actually want to pick one up for my friend who has a flat worm infestation in one of his tanks.

Yeah well letters is about all it is right now as I have not gotten a permanent job yet (mostly because I can't/don't want to move for another 2-3 years). Some things are in the works though, so maybe... *fingers crossed*.

kevlouie
07/16/2004, 09:34 AM
Mel congrats on the PhD! EBay has several 6 lines but they're all in with the coral tanks right now. (tough to catch, all ya gotta do though is tell Berto he CAN'T do it)

fishdoc11
07/16/2004, 09:37 AM
IME most flatworm infestations will subside by themselves. I have had one in each of my tanks and they both went away on their own in a couple of months. Sixlines are cool fish though and could work to speed up the process.
Chris

EvilMel
07/16/2004, 01:57 PM
Yeah he's been dealing with this infestation for quite a while. I think more than one year. Also, he's not one to get a fish and just take it back once he's done with it, ya know?

This is my friend who has a green house with like 8 tanks in it. I am fully confident in his water quality, so I don't know why the flatworms have not subsided, but he is at the point that he wants to help it go away faster. hah hah.

Kevlouie: It's really hard to get 6-lines out of coral tanks, I don't know...he might not be able to do it. It's pretty difficult. hah hah

A. Critter Killer
07/16/2004, 06:11 PM
I Don't Know Kev, a Yellow tang is one thing; but a six line is anouther! I am not positive if any are in stock, but if so I will put 'um on hold. Look foward to meeting you, Mel. ----Sean

fishdoc11
07/16/2004, 09:38 PM
Low flow and lots of detritus are usually conducive to flatworm outbreaks but your friend probably allready knows that.
Chris

Oldschooler
07/16/2004, 09:52 PM
Laughs out loud at Kevin! Grrrrr... Now I GOTTA get to work EARLY tomorrow an' catch me a wrasse!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

rcmike
07/17/2004, 09:18 AM
I gotta trap if you wanna borrow it!

Oldschooler
07/17/2004, 10:27 PM
Thanks, Mike, but it's more of an inside joke. Basically, it started with Sean having placed a yellow tang in each of the coral frag tanks. Naturally, they remained in our store long enough to actually fatten up, color up, and be otherwise generally healthy. Which led to people WANTING them. For quite some time, our insistence that they would be impossible to catch was enough to dissuade most customers from any further insistence. However, it was eventually discovered, via Sean and some customer whom I cannot recall telling me I "couldn't" do it, that within about ten mintues' time I could, in fact, catch a yellow tang from those tanks using a combination of food, "forgotten" nets, and other trickery. Thus, the joke became, "Tell Robert he can't catch it for you, and he will". LOL

Six-lines, however, are a COMPLETELY different fish!!! I think I'd much rather ORDER someone a new one! LOL But thanks for the trap, just the same!!!

rcmike
07/17/2004, 10:53 PM
I know, I was just messin' with ya. I actually did make an acrylic trap that I have used a couple of times to catch some VERY hard to catch fish in my 110 reef though.

Oldschooler
07/18/2004, 09:12 AM
Did you make the trap from your own design, or is that another DIY thing they have posted on RC or some other site? I have to admit, I am NOT a "DIY" kind of guy, but it sounds like everything in your house is DIY, and it's starting to sound a bit intriguing... LOL

rcmike
07/18/2004, 10:17 AM
It is similar to this one but not nearly as pretty. http://www.trap-eze.net/fish%20trap%20trapeze%20home%20page.htm

I whipped it together in about 30 min. because a koran angel was nibbling on a clam. It was kinda thrown together but it works.

gflat65
07/18/2004, 07:36 PM
I had a Koran Angel problem with open brains. I had to drop the net in the tank for two weeks for the fish to 'forget' about them, then lure it in to the net with a piece of fresh shrimp from tied to a string. Two weeks after strating my attempts, I finally got him. I think the trap is a much better idea.

foggy54
07/23/2004, 08:30 PM
Bought a nice piece of red mushroom rock at EB, thanks guy's

fishdoc11
07/26/2004, 05:24 PM
Just picked up my 35 lbs of caribbean rock they had been holding for me for a few weeks. Thanks guys, the big flat pieces should come in very handy for keeping most of my rock structure off of the sandbed in my new setup. In fact if it wasn't for you guys I probably wouldn't be getting a new setup:-)
thanks, Chris

Mdwannabe
07/26/2004, 05:45 PM
Hey Oldschooler:
Not as impressive but if you want letters see below.

Richard J. Schmidt BSME, ASST, CFA, CLO
(working on BSRN/CORN)

I could tell you what they all mean, but then I would have to kill you!, and yes the next time you see me you can touch me. Autographs are extra!

foggy54
07/26/2004, 09:08 PM
Oldschooler: Thanks again for going the extra mile on my air pump parts, you shouldn't have, but you did. YOU GUYS REALLY ARE THE BEST.

Oldschooler
07/27/2004, 07:50 AM

Oldschooler: YOU GUYS REALLY ARE THE BEST.

>>>What have I been trying to TELL you????!!! LOL

and yes the next time you see me you can touch me.

>>>You mean, this time I don't have to SIT on my hands!? Woohoo!!!

Thanks again for going the extra mile on my *air* pump parts

>>>...One credit card receipt signed by Foggy54 for a Swiss-made *air* pump, along with a book, authored by Foggy54 titled "Swiss-made *air* pumps- It's my bag, baby!" LOL

>>>Okay, okay... That's enough humor for one day... Promise. :)

Mdwannabe
07/27/2004, 01:09 PM
I just want to know why you always smile so big as you sit on your hands.......LOL

Oldschooler
07/27/2004, 11:35 PM
Mdwannabe... I was wondering all day who, if anyone, would "get" the joke about "sitting on my hands". :)

gflat65
07/28/2004, 07:14 AM
I got it you big handed %#&%$*:) LOL!

rcmike
07/28/2004, 06:49 PM
Emeral Bay of Nashville TN Great LFS

I have been wondering since I first read the title if you use this in your tanks?

http://www.famousfoods.com/5021614.html

Oldschooler
07/28/2004, 10:22 PM
Mike, it's so ironic you posted this. Seriously, when we *first* obtained "Wet Pets" and changed the name, we had- I'm NOT kidding- about two or three people every other day make out their checks to "Emeril Bay"! It got so bad, I finally had to say it over the phone AND in person: "Emeral_D_ Bay... As in, 'Emerald', the gemstone" and I'd OVER-emphasize the "d". *Most* people were like, "Yeah, I got it" but more than a few would say "Oooooh!" as if they had NO clue! LOL

rcmike
07/29/2004, 06:04 AM
BAM! Hehe

I never really thought of it but that would be an easy mistake to make.

clr_27
07/30/2004, 01:49 PM
Emerald Bay is fantastic as everyone has said. thanks to everyone there. i haven't been in the store for 2 complete days now, it has taken great restraint. i aa sure i will be in there soon. thanks again

chris r.

kevlouie
07/30/2004, 03:18 PM
Dang we are gonna have to start giving you Chris's nicknames to keep you all straight. :)

Oldschooler
07/30/2004, 09:35 PM
Thank you, Chris. *I* know which one you are! ;)

TN_sledge
08/07/2004, 01:44 PM
Had to put my 2 cents in here. I went to Eb today and traded some frags. Not only did I get what I thought was a great credit for them, their salt price is excellent. Stock was a little low but that happens when you’re a great LFS! Keep up the good work
guys. Well worth the drive from Murfreesboro.
:beer:

ol'salty
08/08/2004, 08:10 AM
I have read this whole thread and I'm convinced that that is the place to go! I live in Clarksville, and I'm not real excited about the LFS here. I am just getting back into reef tanks after an absence of about three years, and in need of alot of things...and dang... have things changed in three years!!! Please help with some directions...Thank you!

fishdoc11
08/08/2004, 08:42 AM
Ebay is in the Belevue Kroger shopping center. It took the place of the old Wet Pets. The shopping center is at the corner of highway 70 and Old Hickory west of town.
Chris

jslomo420
08/08/2004, 09:12 AM
I went and bought new bulbs yesterday people were helpful and the price was great for a LFS much more personal service than "other" LFS in town

ol'salty
08/08/2004, 12:47 PM
Thank you for the directions. I will make it a point to visit them in the next week or so. My daughter and son in law will be down from Ill. and they too want to visit the store. Thanks again!

Dave

Oldschooler
08/08/2004, 08:18 PM
Thank you all for the kind words, BUT... Just FYI... Sean, Jason, and Roberto will ALL be gone this coming weekend (Aug. 13, 14, 15), attending a reptile expo in Daytona. Just wanted to get that out since anyone coming down wanting to talk "reef" may be seriously disappointed these three days. I WOULD be apprehensive about taking away three of the best salespersons, BUT we are slated to meet with a fish industry GIANT, in addition to drinking by the beach with ALL SORTS of industry "gurus", so although we don't WANT to go to Florida (*snickers*), we MUST...

Oldschooler
08/08/2004, 08:20 PM
Oh, and before anyone asks... There ARE aquarium-related people in attendance at this show. I met Marc Weiss (purveyor of reef products) last year, and this year we are slated to hook up with Jack Wattley (a freshwater GOD who now also breeds dart frogs). So no, it is not *just* a "reptile" trip!

rcmike
08/08/2004, 08:34 PM
If you see Marc Weiss again ask him where the rest of the Black Powder stuff I bought a few years back is. Big container with a little bitty bag of stuff in it. Never mind, it didn't do anything anyway.

Oldschooler
08/08/2004, 08:44 PM
Mike, remind me and I'll tell you a funny story or two...