PDA

View Full Version : Mantis & Stars (Green Death!!!)

judo1
09/24/2001, 08:35 PM
So, how do Mantis shrimp fare with brittle stars... specifically Green Brittle Stars?

Would a Mantis attack the star, or vice-versa?

Currently, I have a 12-14" diameter (leg tip to leg tip) GBS, in his own tank. I have a separate tank made for the green Mantis I'm eagerly awaiting. I just thought a Green Death and a Green Mantis would look cool together, but do not want to jeopardize either one. Any thoughts?

I know Mantis shrimp do not usually bother creatures such as urchins, but what about stars? Or, heaven forbid, would the star get the mantis?

Fcamdog
09/24/2001, 09:45 PM
I have had brittle stars with mantis before and they co-exist just fine. Nothing to worry about that I can forsee.

cat23
09/24/2001, 09:53 PM
Judo1,

Just wanted to inform you...Your mantis eats urchins! There were 25 urchins in that 20g tank at one time and now there are only a few. Maybe 5 left!

judo1
09/25/2001, 12:05 AM
cat,
Thanks! Wow! I didn't know they eat urchins, too! Are you sure he ate them? I was told urchins are even more finicky than snails, and just end up dead one day after looking fine the previous. Anyway, the only thing living in the Mantis' tank will probably be the mantis, unless I get a lot of evidence/opinions that they will be fine together.

So, if anyone else has an opinion, please share!
I might post a mirror thread in the main reef room to get more opinions.

If the Mantis eats urchins, he will probably settle for a brittle star, regardless of how large the star is. But I was also worried that the star would eat the Mantis, maybe just after a molt?

Fcamdog,
what kind of brittle stars did you have with the Mantis? I know this green star will eat just about anything! Also, how much room did they have? Thanks for your helpful insight.

It would be cool to have a "green tank", but I think I might just have two separate dedicated tanks right next to each other to be safe. Any other opinions would be appreciated. :)

moviegeek
09/25/2001, 12:21 AM
I tried a large, green brittle star with my mantis and the mantis killed the brittlestar and started carving it up within 5 minutes of when the star was introduced to the tank. It's weird...the same mantis co-existed with 3 damsels for 4 months later in the year. I think it's wise to get your mantis adjusted to prepared foods for awhile before trying any additional animals.

judo1
09/25/2001, 12:50 AM
Wow!

Thanks moviegeek! Well, that answers that question. Yep, Mr. Mantis still gets his very own tank, which is already ready and waiting for him as we "speak". :)

I think I'm going with two dedicated tanks right next to each other for my (soon to be) two main attractions. :)
:strooper:

cat23
09/25/2001, 05:17 AM
Regarding the urchins, just strange how they are all dying. I am finding their spines laying all over the place. The damsel is doing fine but he has his own cave he lives in which by the way I'm going to have to tear out if I can't catch Mr. Mantis

Not to change the subject but...

I have a green star in my main display tank. Do you think he is not reef safe? Ie: will kill the other inhibitants?

Which are: (in 120g)

Red sea sailfin tang
Powder blue tang
Yellow headed jawfish
Firefish
Cinamon clown
Cleaner wrasse

Recent disapearances = firefish, Redlip blenny

moviegeek
09/25/2001, 09:34 AM
Green brittlestars are notorious for catching and eating fish. They mostly do this at night. If your tangs are large enough they are probably safe, but the other fish, especially the firefish and jawfish, are in jeopardy. How long have you had the green brittle in your tank?

cat23
09/25/2001, 10:56 AM
I've had him for 1 year now. Never thought he was a threat to anyone before. But, I havn't seen my blenny for about a week and about 3 weeks ago, the one firefish disappeared as well. The jawfish was just added last week.

Think if I feed him daily, I'll be ok? Was only feeding about 2X a week before!?!

Death Shrimp99
09/25/2001, 02:45 PM
I've heard a couple of stories of mantis comeing with live rock in reefs and the first thing the people noticed wrong was their starfish had a leg missing or was dead. I also think if hermit crabs can kill a mantis when it's molting i'm shure this agressive starfish can.

cat23
09/25/2001, 03:32 PM
Judo1,

I got him, I got him, I got him, I got him, I got him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was toying with him when I got home today and he went into his rock to slash out at my stick. I decided at that moment he was mine!!! NO MORE GAMES! I used my kitchen tongs and took his rock out and put in a salt bucket. Now I have his little butt!!!

I'm going to see if I can get him out of the rock or it'll cost a fortune to ship, rock and water!!!

My trap will be here soon but til then, I'll keep trying to lure him out of the rock and then take the rock out of the bucket and then I'll be able to send him to you!

Angel*Fish
09/25/2001, 05:56 PM
:) Congratulations!!!!! When I caught my mantis I wanted to throw a party. Hardly anyone understands the joy and relief... have you tried sharing the happy news with any nonaquarists? They can't understand how 1 little shrimp can be such a big deal. Whoo hoo for you!:D

Angel*Fish
09/25/2001, 06:04 PM
Even my cat is excited!:eek1:

judo1
09/25/2001, 09:53 PM
Hooray!

I'm going to get a mantis! I'm going to get a mantis!
*cough* ahem, hi, no... I was... yes sir, sorry... :p

Now you've got him into a rock, can we lure him out? ...have you tried the having-only-his-rock-in-one-corner-of-a-small-aquarium-and-lure-him-out-and-take-his-rock trick?

Oh, and I have been asked by a couple of non-aquarists if I've gotten "that green shrimp thing" yet... no understanding whatsoever... sheesh! :p

Woo-hoo!

-JoN

:rollface:

cat23
09/25/2001, 10:39 PM
They think I'm nuts or something

I always have stuff shipped to my office and everyone always asks what's for lunch! Escargo???

Guess they don't like ipsf or pa!

By the way, I never let them see the INVOICE or they might call the men in the white suits to come pick me up!!! LOL!!!