PDA

View Full Version : Paul Holthus is speaking at the Brooklyn AS on Friday, June 11th

JohnL
06/09/2004, 03:17 PM
Paul Holthus is the Executive Director and President of the Marine Aquarium Council (MAC). Over the past several decades, Paul has focused on the sustainable, environmentally sound use of coastal and ocean resources and the role of the private sector in achieving this. His experience includes: developing interaction among the shipping, tourism, oil, and fisheries industries on ocean resource use; playing a major part in establishing the Pacific Regional branch of the UN Environment Program; working with the South Pacific Commission (now the Secretariat of the Pacific Community) and the East West Center; and setting up global and regional programs for several of the largest international environment organizations. He has undertaken resource management projects in over 30 countries and territories of Asia, the Pacific, Central America, and Africa as well as international marine resource policy work on the Law of the Sea and the UN Convention on Biological Diversity. The range of this experience extends from site level work with village fishermen on small islands to global ocean policy work with UN agency directors.

According to surveys, about 50% of aquarists are familiar with the Marine Aquarium Council (MAC Certification). Whether you are on the half that knows or that half that doesn’t, the MAC Director Paul Holthus would like to hear your questions and concerns about MAC Certification first-hand, so that you can have your questions answered and your comments heard.

Paul will brief the meeting on what MAC is and how Certification works to support the interests of hobbyists. He will update the meeting on MAC’s expanding efforts in the Pacific, Philippines and Indonesia. Hobbyists can anticipate an increasing volume and variety of MAC Certified marine ornamentals from reefs that are managed for sustainable use, from collectors who are trained in proper harvesting and post-harvest handling and from wholesalers and retailers who utilize handling and transport procedures that minimize stress and mortality.

The meeting will be at the New York Aquarium in Coney Island. For more information, please visit their website at www.brooklynaquariumsociety.org

Evergreen
06/11/2004, 08:57 AM
Hmm is this a change from what is posted on their website? The website says "Koogle with Pond Overview" I better call someone before I go that whole way out there for ponds...

gev
06/11/2004, 12:55 PM
Paul Holthus will be speaking in addition to Koogle and the pond overview.

Originally posted by Evergreen
Hmm is this a change from what is posted on their website? The website says "Koogle with Pond Overview" I better call someone before I go that whole way out there for ponds...

Evergreen
06/11/2004, 01:38 PM
OIC... not sure If im gonna come all that way.. still... I wonder if he is speaking BEFORE or AFTER ponds hehe. Why didnt he just come on a salt day oh well!