PDA

View Full Version : what to do if you see a hugely overcrowded tank?

PhantomFE3
06/08/2004, 09:52 PM
ok well at the mall here in bemidji, there is a nail shop that has a saltwater tank right be the door, i believe it is a 38 gallon or maybe a 30 long, not quite sure, it looks to be between 30-40 gallons, not very tall, its not a 55. well anyway, i noticed a severe overabundance of fish in this tank, id say 12 or 13 fish, like, BIG fish! not to be kept in that small of a tank! i know for a fact they have a grouper that is white with black spots, a lion fish, some kind of big wrasse, about 4 or 5 more fish in the 6-8 inch range, and about 4 or 5 more in the smaller range (anywheres between 3-6 inches) and what really chaps my buns is that there is NO cleanup crew! not a single crab in that tank! (well, none that i could see in my 7 minutes inspection!)

what do you think i should do? there are WAY too many fish in that tank, do you think i should talk to the owner of the shop about it? i was just really concerned because there is no way in hell with all those fish in there that they can be happy

koj11
06/10/2004, 02:47 AM
You have to ask yourself a question here. What do you expect to get out of such a conversation/confrontation with this person? What do you expect them to do? Do you really think that if you tell them about proper stocking levels, fish happiness, etc., that he will "see the light" and say "man you're right, I'm gonna take some fish out right now"? I think it's more likely that he's going to tell you to bugger off. I think you'd end up being even more unsatisfied after talking to him than you are in the first place. Now you never know, but it's going to be difficult for you to do what you're suggesting without coming off as a know-it-all jerk. It's too bad, but that's the reality of it (at least in my opinion).

MiddletonMark
06/10/2004, 05:42 AM
IMO, it all depends on how you broach the subject.

Could you be a customer? Do you know anyone who is a regular customer?

IMO, some person walking in off the street with a complaint might get about zero attention. Then again, a customer making a comment ... a difference. Same IMO with a letter.

If I were to do it, I would make the point carefully and clearly. It's terrible for the fish ... but I guess I'd just point out that beyond wasting money [stressing fish which will die sooner most likely] - but the impression this tank gives anyone who `knows' is just terrible husbandry and casual disregard for animal life [and the oceans]. That to a SW fishkeeper or diver, this is like locking a puppy in a pet-carrier for a week.

While it's necessary to lay out the space requirements/ biology of what's going on ... I'd think a good comparison to a cat or dog would be hard for the owner of the biz to miss. They obviously don't know what it looks like to you ... or don't think enough people even know enough to care.

Just my take. As I expect sometime [a decade? sooner?] that our hobby will be regulated or import severely restricted ... IMO we should not just sit and let terrible practices continue. I quit buying from a number of LFS here because of their stocking, ordering, and care. Yes, I could `rescue' their livestock ... but I tend to think not giving them a penny for anything will have them removed from the business ... IMO the best route. Let the decent people have all the biz.

Anyway, good luck. Interesting question :)

SOMEthinsFISHY
06/13/2004, 05:15 AM
i would take him in one of my older fish or reef books with some things highlighted and say i have been keeping fish 4 a long time and some one gave me this book with these things high lighted and that is how i learned
see if he would accept praise and help offer 2 take him home and see your tanks
some people are just mesmorized by mine and seek my newbie help all the time !!

koj11
06/13/2004, 05:35 AM
I would certainly think twice about showing a stranger where I live, not to mention inviting him inside. After all, Ted Bundy seemed like a nice enough fellow...

SOMEthinsFISHY
06/13/2004, 07:19 AM
I actualy have a pet store attached 2 my house mostly just fish so i deal with strangers all the time when it is your time though a plane could fall or even a building !

Sometimes it depends on where u live also i do not think the house i live in has been locked 4 25 years

Agu
06/14/2004, 03:02 PM
First thing you need to do is go in the store and get a pedicure :lol: .

As stated already some know-it-all off the street probably won't get any respect telling them what to do. However the owner obviously has an interest in saltwater fish. I don't know about you but I try to make friends with people who share my interests. Once a friend makes a suggestion people are more likely to listen. Maybe you could even turn him into a reefer..........

jmo,

Agu

SOMEthinsFISHY
06/14/2004, 04:10 PM
that would be nice get him on this site !