PDA

View Full Version : What are you doing with the coraline you're scraping off the glass?

fkbsar
06/08/2004, 09:55 AM
I want to kickstart, jumpstart my coraline in my newbie tank. If you are attending the frag swap on Saturday could someone please just scrape a little off their glass and bring it for me? I know it sounds silly but .....

sand man dan
06/08/2004, 04:03 PM
fran,
i can dring you some scrapings or a couple of small well encrusted rocks.

shaw
06/08/2004, 06:27 PM
ya, i can as well. i take a blade with an airline tubing next to it and then siphon the scapings in to a net and then a bag.
good way to jumpstart your tank. but, the best way is usually run your tank with the lowest light possible for about a month. that really gets it growing
shawn

fkbsar
06/08/2004, 06:31 PM
Thanks to both Danny and Shawn and anyone else who wants to contribute.

Shawn, I thought the coraline liked light. If I run it low for a month what about my ricordia, zoas and mushrooms? I know the fish won't suffer so much but what about the softies.

reefyguy
06/09/2004, 09:54 AM
yeah i may have a small completely covered rock i can give ya...damn thing is royal purple....i have actually seen people sell their corraline on ebay...it was marked as "Rare, corraline algae." it actually went for 9 or 10 bucks plus shipping...nuts

fkbsar
06/09/2004, 09:58 AM
Thanks guys. Looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday.

DensityMan
06/09/2004, 01:04 PM
Also bringing some flakes... have to get it off the front and sides anyway... I've been slacking. *grin*

fkbsar
06/09/2004, 01:29 PM
You guys are great. I guess I'm sort of pressuring you to clean that glass huh. See you all on Saturday. Take care.

shaw
06/09/2004, 07:42 PM
well, i meant when i start up a tank, i have regular flourescents on it for a month, and scrape off the corraline off the rocks and walls as soon as it appears.
thanks
shawn