PDA

View Full Version : Purple Leiaster

joebetoblame
06/08/2004, 01:40 AM
Hello Anthony,
I was told my starfish was a purple Linckia, but after I read your article i see you have identified this as the Purple Leiaster. Do you have anymore information on this starfish? I would like to give the best chances possible to him. Do you have any suggestions on Target feeding foods etc or any other articles. Thank you

Anthony Calfo
06/08/2004, 01:04 PM
I have mistakenly ID'ed this star as a Linckia too as it has been called for so many years. No worries :)

There still is so much to learn/observe about Asteroid sea stars... very littel fo the science that has been recorded has yet to make it into popular aquarium literature. And so, for this like somany species, we are relegated to juducious experimentation and frankly educated guesses (plus a conscientious decision for most folks to avoid the animals of unknown husbandry).

This is no critique of you here though my friend. Dedicated aquarists do need to keep and experiment with these animals. I just hope to see casual reefers (those that would just throw the star in a tank and hope for the best) avoid keeping them.

My take on target feeding the purple Leiaster is akin to the orange Fromia from a recent post:

"Fromia diets run the gamut from herbivorous to detritavore and sediment feeders to "carnivore" (eating carion and living sessile invertebrates). That said, I suspect this one is not going to be inclined toward "non-reef-safe" habits (eating live sessile inverts as many other Asteroid brethren do) nor do I honestly think this star will feed much on microalgae.

Instead, do experiment with by offering small amounts of a wide variety of meats of marine origin. If you try say a half dozen or more withy little or no response, yours may favor sediments and detritus. If the matter, it will be more difficult to keep it alive in smaller (under 100 gall) or younger (under 1 year old) tanks IMO.

If you find that yours responds to any specific food or foods offered, please do post a mention of it for the benefit of all (with a picture of yours).

Feeding mixed foods (like Formula brand or Lifeline types) with some greenstuffs in them may still be helpful/necessary. Do try this as well."

---

please do let us know what you discover with your specimen. Tell us what if any foods yours seems to favor and add info about husbandry, longevity, etc. as time goes by. Too many keep these animals successfully and unsuccessfully alike without reporting to other aquarists for our mutual benefit.

kindly,

Anthony

Jovreefer
06/26/2004, 03:44 PM
I also have one of these starfish, I too thought it was "just a purple linkia" untill I read your article. I was thrilled when I realized what I had!

In the wholesaler I saw it eating a copeapode thats why I purchased it, all the others look withered except this one. It has only come out on the glass one time in 2 months, and stays on the underside of rocks so I dont have any pictures although a few of its arms are sticking out in the open right now...I've got my camra ready incase it decides to come all the way out.

I've also tried feeding mine misid shrimp...it does not eagerly take it but it moved its arm over it, I'm not sure if it ate it or not. My friend that owns a fish store got a few of them and said one climbed on his trumpet and next thing he knew the trumpet frag was dead, so he put it in another tank that killed it. mine however has never touched my trumpet. Hope this helps some...

Anthony Calfo
06/29/2004, 11:21 PM
Jovreef... much thanks for sharing my friend :)

It's interesting about the trumpet coral... if the coral died (became denuded of tissue) within minutes, then I'd say it did eat the coral. Although I wanna say thats surprising, it really would not be. Many Asteroids overall are carnivorous (that is to say, carnivorous on sessile invertebrates)

I'm not so sure your Leiaster actually did/could eat copepods though. They are such miniscule zooplankters. Are you sure it was not an amphipod? Perhaps stuck in mucus and consumed en toto? Hmmm... tough to say.

Thanks again for sharing the perspective :)

Anthony

Jovreefer
07/11/2004, 06:08 PM
mmm...I'm not that diverse with the small critters in the tanks...it could very well be an amphipod. The star was on the glass and it was pulling the little critter into its center disk..I asumed it was eating it, when I came back the critter was gone.

Funny thing....my star NEVER apears ontop of rocks so I can get a picture...until I lent out my camra this week...its been on the glass, rocks, everywhere the past few days...I'm so mad!