PDA

View Full Version : Anywhere around DFW to get Southdown?

Iostream
09/23/2001, 11:23 PM
I am looking for a few bags of Southdown Sand if anyone knows of any LFS or people in the area that have bags for sale. I remember hearing mention at the last meeting.

thanks,
Iostream

NewMariner
10/03/2001, 01:45 PM
Xlurker is considering ordering another pallet at the end of October.....check out this thread

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=25491

bigdogpaul
10/13/2001, 01:15 PM
I have a few bags left over if you want them now.

Paul

mkaylor
12/26/2001, 02:46 PM
I know this was an old post but anyone have any sand or know where there some is around Dallas?

Thanks,
Mike

David Corbett
12/28/2001, 12:21 AM
How much you need? DOC

mkaylor
12/28/2001, 09:51 AM
I'm looking for about 80 to 100 pounds. 2 bags I guess. I currently have a crushed coral substrate and want to change as much out as possible in my 90 Gal.

Mike

David Corbett
12/28/2001, 06:47 PM
Don't know were the next meeting will be but ifin were both there I will bring a couple of bags if your interested, 12 dollars each that's what I have in them. Also there will be some in the raffel, never know might get one for a buck. DOC

russelldubois
02/08/2002, 07:00 PM
I am new to this forum and also new to reef systems. I am looking for the Southdown sand that everyone is talking about. I hit three home depots around my area (the colony) and all they had was "Quickcrete" playsand. Will this work or do I need to find "southdown"? If anyone has any extra southdown I would be willing to buy some off them. I am looking for about 75-100 pounds for my tank. Also I have crushed coral as my substrate right now and need to know if I need to remove it before adding sand or can I just add sand on top of the coral. I have 15 hermits, 2 damsels,and a few other anemones and crabs. I also have about 65 pounds of live rock.

David Corbett
02/08/2002, 08:54 PM
Opinions will vary but I would dump (after rinsing) whatever sand you choose on top of the crushed coral. I prefer a variety of grain sizes when setting up a tank myself, others will say this won't work but I have been there and done that, works fine. The only reason I even mess with southdown is I go through lots of it and it's worth the effort in terms of cost savings. IMO if you only need 100# go buy some "caribsea" you can mix the grain size and it won't be that much more expensive. DOC