PDA

View Full Version : How was IMAC?

Konadog
06/07/2004, 09:41 AM
For those who went to IMAC, how was it?

algaeguy
06/07/2004, 10:42 AM
Hi Ken:

Just back from IMAC, and it was a blast!

We had a great group from LA- Dave B., Carlos, Ted, myself, Lynn and Michael, and John Foster.

In addition to just hanging out (and ocassionally having a drink or two...), it was great attending the presentations and discussing them with your friends!

None of the presentations was earth-shattering, IMO- but they were all interesting and fun.

Bob Fenner led off with a talk on captive propagation of marine fish, followed by Ron Schimek with-what else- another controversial presentation on Sand beds! Sanjay Joshi presented more great information on lighting, providing some new data on DE halides and reflectors. Anthony Calfo did another cool talk on coral propagation for profit. Eric Borneman gave a neat talk on a new project that he's working on.

There was also a presentation on feeding from one of the aquarists from the Shedd Aquarium, as well as some good stuff on Seahorses. As usual, Scott Michael was quite funny with his (what else) "My Favorite Fishes" presentation at the Saturday banquet. Walt Smith gave a pitch on propagation of fish and corals.

There were other presentation by individuals that we did not get a chance to see before, such as Tullio Dell Aquilla (this guy is a crack up), Steve Robinson, and Dr. Tim Hovenec, as well as by new friends, such as Randy Reed (who spoke at MASLAC a month or so ago).

Unfortunately, it is tough to see everything, as there are several presentations going on at the same time at these events, but everyone is so friendly that you can easily find out what you missed.

Really, the best thing about these events is that you get to hang out with hobbyists from all over the country and share ideas and make new friends, or to re-acquaint yourself with friends that you've met before. Having been to a number of these conferences now, I can say that our hobby is truly unique, in that you can just "hang out" with the "stars" of our hobby on a casual basis. It's always fun to have lunch with Bob Fenner or Scott Michael, or to have a beer with Anthony Calfo...Everyone is very accessable and friendly.

It was also a nice chance to get some new toys at good prices. I think that Carlos, Dave and myself just stared at the Tunze Wave Box for a total of at least a half and hour this weekend.

All I can say is that if there is any way to make it happen, I'd encourage any hobbyist to go to these events!

We had a great MASLAC contingent...

Let's do it again at MACNA in September!

See you then!

Scott F.
The best part of the

o2manyfish
06/07/2004, 01:48 PM
Definitely a fun experience !!!

I can guarantee that the MASLAC contingency was the most sociable and gregarious group. While the seahorse contingency may have been more organized.... Ummm they were a wee bit geeky.

It was educational and fun, by the end of the weekend, Carlos and I realized that we had befriended and either drank, or ate with over 1/2 the speakers/guests. Getting a chance to talk shop, in a casual atmosphere, with some of the best voices in the hobby is truly unique.

The only one who really didn't keep up with the program was Ed from Liquid Life - He was partying hard the first day, and the last night - but in the middle time frame nobody saw a glimpse of him.

Not to mention.... Between Michael and Lynn... I never would have thought Lynn would be the quiet one --- LOL

And our own Mr. Foster, does not have to worry, I don't have any photos of him sprawled out across the couch in the bar lounge with a big happy grin on his face -- So there is no proof.

Kudos to Ted, who managed to organize alot of outside activities (bar to restaurant to bar) regardless of the various levels of mental clarity some people may have had (or not).

Scott Felman, the only guy that by the third day of drinking was still bouncing around the bar at 1am as if he had just won the lottery.

Carlos - Who can make coffee any day -- As long as it's not at my house

Garrick - Who is totally whipped, but I think Elena is worth it - BioSPira Rocks

Michael - Who is just as comfortable sitting at a roundtable discussing the amino levels in Clam Spermazoa as wrestling with 400lb female seahose fanatics while slamming tequilla

Lynn - Whom no matter who was talking about a subject, knew who originated the subject, and has an amazing wealth of knowledge on the people who have played a role in this hobby.

Calfo -- He has some whacked out sideburns - But we have to try to get him to the club in August

Boston in a couple of months -- Recommendations for those wanting to attend

1) Don't let Carlos Make Coffee
2) Don't let Michael pick the restaurants - Darn Vegetarians
3) Don't share food with John - You might starve
4) Don't forget your hangover medicine
5) Don't forget to call AMEX to let them know they need to raise that non-existent limit for your bar tab.

Dave B

PS -- Were there lectures in Chicago -- LOL :)

Will
06/07/2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by o2manyfish
While the seahorse contingency may have been more organized.... Ummm they were a wee bit geeky.

Hey, I'm offended! :o Now who was it again that had a Pirate Party that lasted well past 4 AM on Friday night? ;) :D
-Will

thetedinator
06/07/2004, 08:29 PM
I thought the conference was excellent. I met some great people, heard some good presentations, drank and ate too much (especially Friday night) and won an autographed copy of a Scott Michael book.

I missed the last MASLAC + Calfo lunch at the pizza joint but it was worth it as I managed to get on the 3:00 flight home.

I'm thinking I'll go to MACNA.

cya,

Ted

slobound
06/07/2004, 11:51 PM
Yes, IMAC was great... learned a lot, met lots of cool people, and even picked up some nice frags from reefers around the country.

I must admit, the trip wouldn't have been the same if Carlos and Dave B weren't there to harrass everyone on our flight to Chicago.

Why do you think I was on a different flight back home?

LLUSA
06/08/2004, 04:08 PM
Hey all,

Yeah, I had a great time hanging with you all. Whats this about not being around?????!!!!

Hey now, i do have to schmooze the customers you know. Heres my list o things...

John; Shame on you for buying tequila shooters

Scott; Geez guy, do you wake up with a smile?

Dave; Started the rumor that I was MIA, and therefore, I'll have something special just for you at MACNA

Carlos; Now why didn't I get any of your coffee?

Lynn & Husband; Was I that bad off when you saw me Friday nite?

Ed

o2manyfish
06/08/2004, 07:35 PM
LOL at Ed,

Nice try Ed - Nobody saw you on Friday --- That was Thursday afternoon and Saturday night that you were seen -- Inebriated, but visible to the naked eye !!!

Those tequilla shots didn't go down so smooth, I think chasing cyclopeeze shots with Tequilla at MACNA will definitely be the talk of the town in Boston.

Dave B :) :)

LLUSA
06/08/2004, 10:47 PM
Okay, tell you what, I can bring in some liquified Cyclop-eeze to MACNA. Be careful what you ask for.

Once again, MASLAC will be the talk of the conference.

Ed

o2manyfish
06/08/2004, 11:07 PM
Ed if Carlos hears that Cyclopeeze shots will make his frag grow, you may have to bring a gallon just for him :)

Dave B

Old Yeller Tang
06/09/2004, 02:07 PM
So when do one of these events take place on the Left Coast?:(

Evergreen
06/09/2004, 05:32 PM
Hi! it was great meeting a lot of you at the IMAC. Can anyone put me in contact with Mike and Lynn? Thanks!

cali_reef
06/10/2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Evergreen
Hi! it was great meeting a lot of you at the IMAC. Can anyone put me in contact with Mike and Lynn? Thanks!

You are crazy :lol:

Evergreen
06/10/2004, 04:16 PM
That's besides the point!!! Puh-leeeeeze anyone

REEF DIVA
07/02/2004, 02:57 PM
Hello Kim!
You crazy LIRA-ist you! Great meeting you. You are a blast. You can reach us at:
Michael_NSP@hotmail.com
Or anyone else who wishes to contact us (!)
Lynne (the Girlfriend) (and that's with an 'E')
Michael (the Boyfriend) (Ed-are you paying attention?!?)

REEF DIVA
07/02/2004, 03:10 PM
Dave,
That's *Resting* with female seahorse fanatics! LOL (And Mmm... good tequila!) And yes, the Mexican restaurant was mediocre, for carnivores and non alike!
Ed,
You need to drink more! LOL! And I've never seen Scott wind down...

More parties! Drag the speakers to the bar Before their talks! Raid the pirates! (intensely focused people know that you have to party...) Did I mention more parties? Drag the speakers to the bar After their talks! More parties?!?

Obviously this is Michael...

LLUSA
07/02/2004, 04:34 PM
Okay Michael,

Here is what i suggest. Any speaker to talk at an event, must down a shot before and after their talk. Start the tradition with Bob Fenner, he'll definitely get this going as a party tradition.

See you guys again soon I hope.

Ed

o2manyfish
09/02/2004, 02:39 AM
Everyone ready for Boston ?

Dave B

algaeguy
09/02/2004, 08:21 AM
All I need is your room number so I know who to charge the drinks to...Heh, heh, heh!

Be sure to keep all small electrical appliances away from Carlos!

I'm arriving around 5:30 on Thursday afternoon, which should place me comfortably at the bar around 6:30 for some advanced field work...When are you and Carlos ariving? I told Lynn and Mike to scout out some good places to eat, since they are arriving Tuesday....

See you there!

Scott

cali_reef
09/02/2004, 08:45 AM
Hey do you guys mind if Cindy joints us on these outings? She will be in Boston with me since it is our anniversary weekend. :lol:

We should be getting in around noon on Friday, do you guys have any plans for lunch?

o2manyfish
09/02/2004, 10:40 AM
Hey Scott,

We get in around 7ish on Thursday...... Um I think ?

Cocktail service on the plane so I know we have to watch out for Carlos.

Pierce, We are looking more forward to hanging out with Cindy, we only hung out with you for frags.... Cindy was the fun one !!!!

But no HAGEN !!!! I don't want to think about Hagen in the room, after Carlos has been drinking.

Scott, Carlos said something about having to get dressed up for a banquet, is this true ?

Dave B

MiddletonMark
09/02/2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by cali_reef
Hey do you guys mind if Cindy joints us on these outings?

Sounds like an interesting outing ... I didn't know you did that sort of thing ;)

Report back for the rest of us, I'm being forced to go on honeymoon to Bonaire instead :D

algaeguy
09/02/2004, 03:56 PM
Hey Dave:

7:00pm is perfect...I'm sure that John will just be getting started, and we'll all be ready to chow.. I'll start drinking early to catch up to you guys...LOL

I am not sure about the banquet this time, myself. The banquet is at the New England Aquarium, so I doubt that there is a "dress code". However, I suppose the "Dressy Casual" thing works, as it seems to at every MACNA banquet...So- Aloha print shirt with jeans is in order...

If anyone else knows the story, please let us know!

Scott