PDA

View Full Version : Serpent Stars, Seagrass and System Setup

indoreefer
06/07/2004, 06:59 AM
Hello,
I have been trying to get ahold of you or Mr. Fenner at Wet Web Media for days, but my email returns undeliverable. I am setting up a new system that will have 4 tanks and a sump on a 3-tiered stand. The system will have two 25g drilled refugiums on top, one with peppermint shrimp, macro algae, live rock, live sand, micro stars, and snails to serve as a planktivore refugium. The other will be a traditional refugium with copepods, live rock, live sand, micro stars, spagetti algae, red algae and snails. I am looking at putting either one or two 55w 6500k pc over each refugium. The middle tank will be a 75g RR tank with 6 inch sand bed, turtle grass, live rock, a few Ophiuroids (perferably tan or gray), a few banded pipefish, a few blue striped pipefish, snails, maybe some current feeding porcelain crabs. Are there any other indo pacific (from around Indonesia) inverts, coral, or fish that you think might go well in this tank? I don't know how much light the pipes, ophiuroids and sea grass need? I have read that pipes need less light just like seahorses, but there is not much info out there on them. Would Indo black live sand work well for the seagrass bed? But I did read that seagrass would be great for them and for the other tanks hooked to the system. The third tank will be a 120g RR for my false percula pair. There would also be live rock, live sand, a purple gorgonia, two colt corals, a feather duster, two sexy shrimp, snails, a white porcelain crab, a few Ophiuroids (perferably tan or gray), and striped watermelon mushrooms. I would like to add some other inverts or coral, but I am not sure what. Hopefully the pair will spawn. I am thinking about a anemone in the future, but I want to make sure the lights and everything else are perfect before I consider that. I was thinking about MH or VHO lights with a 2 to 1 ratio of actinic to 6500k. My entire system has a indo pacific theme. There will be a 55g acrylic sump underneath and I plan on using a downdraft skimmer, calcium reactor, and maybe a UV sterilizer. I am unsure if a UV is necessary or if it will just kill all the beneficial bacteria. I have heard that I need one if having seahorses or pipefish. I have already started preparing to culturing phytoplankton, vrine shrimp, mysis shrimp, and rotifers. Is there anything I am missing? I appreciate your help.
Thanks,
Indoreefer

Anthony Calfo
06/07/2004, 06:55 PM
Indoreefer... Bob and I were away this weekend at IMAC with others... a wonderful time/conference.

For your questions... whew! I just don't know were to begin. It cannot be answered in the brevity of this/an e-mail... and I strongly disagree with much of what you propose, starting with:

concern for mixing anemones and corals
concerns for putting feather dusters in an immature tank (they'll starve)
hopes that the tank will be kept fishless for 6 months minimum (1yr would be better) for refugium to develop enough to be effective for feeding your Syngnathids
lack of any aquarium deep enough to culture Thalssia (sea grass)

The best advice I can give you is to find a local or regional aquarium club... surely there will be experienced members that are willing/waiting to hlep a fellow aquarist in need and with time to spend at length. If you cannot find a regional club, then you need to reed quite a bit more here to improve your plan/understanding of why some of the above concerns are indeed concerns... then get back to us/all here.

Escobals book on Aquatic Systems is great for hardware dynamics
Borneman for corals and allelopathy/compatibility... perhaps my book with Fenner on inverts and refugiums plus seagrasses.

best of luck!

Anthony