PDA

View Full Version : Easiest fish to breed?????????

scott324
09/21/2001, 11:04 PM
What is the easiest reef fish to breed. If it is a clown what is the easiest non clown fish to breed? And then what is the easiest clown-fish to breed?????? Thanks
Scott

Spikehs
09/22/2001, 02:29 AM
I'd prolly say the easiest non clown is the banggai cardinal..the hardest part to breed em is finding a m+f ...check the rest of the posts in this section there is a TON of info on them..

FMarini
09/22/2001, 09:21 AM
Hi:
I'm in total agreement w/ Mr Spike.
Best non-clown fish to breed is the banggai cardinal. Mainly becuz the parents do 99% of the work. They are the ONLY apogon which retains the brood for an additional 10 days after hatching. Becuz f these additional 10days the fry are quite large when released and can eat foods which you and i can provide successfully, repeatedly and nutrionally complete.
How to-http://www.eparc.com/banggai/banggai.shtml
Best clown-well I would recommedn first off Joyce wilkersons book on breeding clownfish for starters, talk about how-to this is a great how to book.
AS far as species some of the more common clowns(particularly farm raisied ones) breed well, the best thin about clowns is sexing is NOT an issue. The dominant (usually larger animal) will become a female the smaller one is the male. Banggais however are only one sex.
Lastly also consider psuedochromis, many of these fish are sexually dimorphic (meaning there are visbile differences between makes/females) they breed readily, and also make good parents.
HTH
frank