PDA

View Full Version : Help With New Tank design

dannanokris
06/01/2004, 01:55 PM
Hello folks,
Well I have decided to purchase a bigger tank. I am really intrested in purchasing a 20 gallon long which I found at pets inc for like 25 dollars. It is glass, even though I would prefer acylic. I want to build a underneath sump and fuge for it. But before I put anything in it I wanted some info on how to do a few things. I was looking at overflows and bulkheads, I decided I would like to drill two holes in the tank and put bulk heads there to drain to the sump. Here is my question, do u put anythign infront of the holes when there is water in there, such as some kind of grating to prevent draining fish into the fuge too? also do you think 2 holes would be overkill? WHere would the best location be to put these holes?

loserkidz
06/01/2004, 02:12 PM
they sell the strainers that thread directly intot he bulkhead, what size were you planning on putting in. They aren't cheap. Picking up a few will cost more than you paid for the tank.

AZDesertRat
06/01/2004, 02:39 PM
Look at Custom Aquatic in the sponsors section here on RC. Go to Products- Plumbing Supplies- Intake Screens and they are only $1.99 ea. They also have an excellent supply of bulkheads and even carry most common PVC fittings in BLACK which looks great inside the aquarium compared to white. They are in So. Calif so shipping is only about 2 days for most orders in my experience. They also give a 5% discount for RC members which is even better! You might also look at LocLine for your return so you can aim it wherever you want.

dannanokris
06/01/2004, 03:10 PM
Thx for the replys
But what do you guyz think I should use for the bulkheads? 1 inch 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch, I plan on putting in two wholes thowards the top of the corners fo the tank.. Also If I had a 10 gallon sump/refugium what do you think would be an adequate return pump?
Sorry for all the questions. Just want to make sure I buy all the right things before I start investing in a larger tank...
Also in regards to the plumbing being more expensive then the tank, I know that, I am just wanting to get the tank at the great deal it is being sold at... but besides that money is not really an issues with a 20 gallon for me.
Thx
Dan

dgin
06/01/2004, 05:31 PM
Dan,

For bulkhead sizing, it will depend on how much flow you want going through them. With a 20g, I would think two bulkheads (drain and return) is enough. I'm thinking a 3/4" bulkhead for the return and a 1.25" or 1.5" for the drain bulkhead. That should enough for say a 500-600GPH throughput.

Remember that the holes that need to be drilled for each bulkhead will require a bigger hole (i.e. a 3/4" bulkhead will need a 1.25"? hole drilled). Also be careful with having the tank drilled as the glass on a 20g is still pretty thin.

Too bad you didn't get in on the acrylic tanks that Petsmart were selling off when they moved. They were acrylic (~15g) and had the bulkheads already on them for $10.

AZDesertRat
06/01/2004, 06:15 PM
I used 1" bulkheads for all 5 of the holes in my tank. My overflow goes into a 1" Modified Stockman standpipe into a 30G sump and returns with an Oceanrunner 3500 at about 850 GPH. I also have a closed loop with two 1" returns thru a SCWD and QuietOne 4000 running at 800+ GPH.
I would use 1" for both bulkheads, you can always bush it down or valve it down if flow is too much but you can't stretch it if it is too little.

dannanokris
06/01/2004, 11:00 PM
Ok so thx for the help with the bulk heads, now I got a question with lighting I would like to go with mh bulbs with 20000k. I have 2 36 watt power compacts that I can use. Do you think that 250 w MH would be overkill? Im trying to figure out what lights I should get, whether it be vho, t5, mh? Its going to be either a 20 or 25 gallon tank. So any input would be appreciated, the reason I like MH is because I think it brings out the best colors in the corals...
Thx
Dan