PDA

View Full Version : pokey cucumber?

freelancing
09/21/2001, 10:49 AM
I recently sold my sand-sifting star back to the LFS after I heard that they suck out all the good cooties from the sand.

I read in Ron Shimek's book that Cucumbers were a beneficial replacement. I bought a black cucumber and he (or she or it) seems to be doing well, but he is more interested in climbing rocks than sifting through the sand.

My greenbird wrasse will typically leave it alone, unless it starts climbing upwards with its little black probe/feeler things.

Is this normal behavior for the black cucumber? He varies from 4" to 10" depending on his movements. He's been in my tank for about 3 weeks.

After seeing serpant stars in other tanks, wiggling the delicate ends of their arms, I know that my wrasse would pick them off. I don't want my sand to get caked up. I was expecting this cucumber to burrow, but he does not do this. Any other suggestions for effective sand stirrers?

David Corbett
09/21/2001, 10:52 PM
It's somewhat normal for cukes to climb the wall, especially when you first get them, he will probably settle down eventually. Keep him , it, happy and he will split in half and make two cukes, kinda strange but effecient. DOC