PDA

View Full Version : creative ideas for fuge

gflat65
05/31/2004, 07:45 PM
Hey all
I am still getting everything set up for my 125 and have a small dilemma. I have a sump, but want to add a fuge too. Does any one have any simple ideas to do this without too much trouble (cost)? I have an AGA 125 RR with the intakes tee'd and run into the sump, then the return is tee'd to the two stand pipes. If I could, I'd like to be able to run a tee off of one of the legs of the intake to drain to the fuge, then pump back out of the fuge. I don't think this will work though, since the water levels will have to be different in the two tanks (fuge and sump). I was thinking of a Magnum 350 canister for a possible return as well, if that could work. Any ideas?

fishdoc11
05/31/2004, 07:57 PM
What size sump are you using? I am going to use a 30L and put 2 sets of baffles in making 3 compartments. The first one will contain the overflow entrance and skimmer. The second will contain a mini fuge with a couple of live rocks, some macro (chaeto and/or sargassum)and a heater. The third will contain the return pump, pH probe and hopefully minimal bubbles:-)
Chris

foggy54
05/31/2004, 09:37 PM
chris i thought the whole idea of a fuge was to have a area where the water flow is slow, where pods can live and nutrients can be asorbed by what ever plant life it contains? Gflat set a tupper ware container above the sump, plum in feed or return water via valve to the tupper ware fuge, put a pipe in the containers side at the level and let it gravity feed down to the sump

fishdoc11
05/31/2004, 10:38 PM
It can be foggy but the flow does'nt have to be super slow. Mine will be more of a nutrient absorption tool than anything although it should provide plenty of larval fauna if not the adult forms to the tank. I have seen pics of several done this way( one with 2500gph through it ) and they seem to work very well.
Chris

gflat65
06/01/2004, 06:35 AM
Right now, I have an acrylic sump 'designed' for a 175. I kinda got it on a whim. It should work fine, but there is very little room in the 'wet' section for pumps. I'm hoping that my skimmer and feed pump will fit with the return pump. The tupperware idea sounds like a prime example of what I want to do. Thanks foggy. Keep em comin. If I'd have had one built, or used a 30 gal or something like that, I would have gone a similar route with fishdoc. I was ofered the sump at a good deal, and didn't have any other concrete plans for one yet, so I jumped on it. Anyway, thanks guys. All ideas welcome at this point.

reewik
06/01/2004, 07:30 AM
You could plum a aditional tand to use as a refugium into the system. Have a 10 or 15 or even a 20 drilled on the side and then drill your sump. Plum the two together. Glasscages could do that for you.