PDA

View Full Version : RO System

Hedonist
05/28/2004, 02:17 PM
I have seen several posts concering RO systems so I wanted to forward a possible RO system source ... Check this guy out when you are shoppongfor a system... He deals with us at the lab alot and I feel comfortable recommending him. His name is Craig Winter at cwinter@suscom-maine.net or 866-835-2797

I got a 50gpd for a little over $100, installed... he may work with you if you want to install it yourself, just ask him....

I gotta tell ya it was several years before I converted to RO.. did not want to spend the $$, thought it would not make that big a diference...., WRONG... I noticed a big difference in less that a month

On a side note, Aqua City in Waterville is offering Open Water diving classes again.. anyone interested? I think I am going on to advanced open water..... it's pretty cool to see the things we try to keep in our tanks thriving in the wild!

Denise

cutting
05/28/2004, 10:34 PM
If only I was wasnt leaving next week, oh well, maybe I'll be able to pick up some scuba lessons over seas.

spotfin
06/01/2004, 06:29 PM
Hi Denise,
I have been thinking about an RO unit. I use well water that, when tested with my kits, hasn't shown any nitrates and very little phosphates, althought the silcate level is perhaps too high. How well does your unit work for removing silicates? I wonder if I need an RO/DI unit to get the most out of my water? I don't have hair algae, but do get brown diatoms on the glass. Do you hook the unit up to a regular faucet or does it require some plumbing work?
See you next week at the meeting.
Jason

Hedonist
06/05/2004, 05:44 AM
Hey Jason

As far as silica removal, I have just sent in a water test to see the quality of the RO water , I should see data in a wk or so. However, I have had no problems with alage etc since using the RO... I had a simple inline filter to remove As (which also removed silica) I did not know my filter was spent until I started having various algae problems and then had the Si level checked. I noticed this within a few weeks of using RO water.

My unit is hooked into a water line in my laundry room and discharges the waste water in to a utility sink in there. I personally think a DI unit is over kill. I am sure it is not difficult to install, but I did not want to mess with it and had Craig put it in.
That's 'men's work' ;)

TTYL
Denise

spotfin
06/06/2004, 07:16 PM
Thanks Denise! See you tomorrow night.
Jason

cabin
06/07/2004, 06:55 AM
Jason, I've also installed RO/DI recently (this is the 3rd week). I'm still seeing red slime algae in the tank, and still cleaning the glass front of brown (diatomaceous?) algae every other day. However, I noticed that a patch of brown algae on the wall of the refugium has disappeared. This is a young tank (4 months) so it is hard to separate RO effects from normal tank cycling changes. I put in RO basically because everyone says you should, and yes, it is a pain. I hope to get it more automated over time, but right now, I'm doing a lot of running up and down the basement stairs to turn it on and off. We had to use a pump to boost our woefully inadequate water pressure, so our cost was substantial. Right now the float valve is turning off the water intake, but not the extra pump, hence the running up and down the stairs.

Ewan
06/07/2004, 04:32 PM
Wynne, Let's discuss this soon. Perhaps the club could organize some learned techniques. We'll start with RO automation.

Sound good?

Ewan
06/07/2004, 04:37 PM
DI... Just saw that.

For a lot of us unfortunate souls, DI means the difference between 40-50ppm TDS and 0 TDS. For me, DI makes the difference. I'm actually thinking about installing a second TDS. One would be totally anion, the second cation. Bulk resins can be inexpensive in quantity too.

After seeing the total lack of nuisance algae in your reef, Denise, I think you may be a lucky one. :D

Additionally, I have a 100gpd unit, wich leaves quite a bit more in the water than a 90gpd or lower. It's a trade-off. It's often suggested that a 100 gpd membrane be accompanied by a DI cartridge.

Come to think of it, it's time I replace mine.

Anyone have a TDS meter? I think I feel a club purchase coming on.

Hedonist
06/08/2004, 05:45 AM
Until the club can purchase one, the lab can run the test for about $10.00 with results in about 5 business days.

My RO system still has an As 'pre-filter', I wonder if that is helping the RO to remove stuff ... I am wishing I still had some algae for my bleeny to munch on.......think he will eat some Caulerpa? Gues it is wortha shot!
Denise

cabin
06/08/2004, 08:24 PM
Denise,
I'll give you some of my algae to feed your blenny, I've got plenty!

SaltyDogg
06/08/2004, 11:59 PM
I got my ro/di unit from
Air water and ice (http://www.airwaterice.com/) and it has been a big help........

SOMEthinsFISHY
07/04/2004, 10:17 AM
I have a lot of Hair algae in places in my 300 gal tank i wish i could get rid of !

also i have a 200 gal per day ro which i have not installed yet !