PDA

View Full Version : Auto topoff swithces that cause fires...

aquaman67
05/27/2004, 01:33 PM
I noticed that the auto topoffs from www.autotopoff.com use switches from www.floatswitches.net

Here's a thread I found about someone elses switch that caught on fire.

Just a heads up...http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=30918

fishdoc11
05/27/2004, 07:46 PM
Thanks aquaman.

aquaman67
05/27/2004, 10:15 PM
Well,

I'm not sure which switches are used in what but I just don't want someone to have a problem.

Someone smater than me might want to figure out if that's the switch in the autotopoffs...

cee
05/31/2004, 06:58 PM
If those switches are UL listed, as advertised, they are extensively tested by an independent laboratory AT THE RATED CURRENT. If someone uses them in an application which exceeds their rating, they are violating the listing and taking matters into their own hands. Hence, a fire is a possibility. If a fire resulted at or below rated current, someone needs to file that incident with Underwriter's Laboratory. Since most of the pumps, etc. we use them for require more than 600 mA, one would need to use them to switch a relay which has a higher current rating (typically 10 A).

Dave

hammerhead
05/31/2004, 07:34 PM
Autotop dual switch has a Relay on it.

Quote:

Switching system is done by a 13 Amp solid state relay, allowing you to use a device of over 1500 watts

wooglin
06/02/2004, 02:35 PM
The switches sold at auto-topoff.com use a relay in an external box. The switch from floatswitches.net is only 6.00 and must be used with an additional relay. It looks like the person that burnt down their basement thought that the 6.00 switch could be used without a relay, so they hooked it directly up to 120volts AC. My switch is from Californiareefs.com, and he chimes in on that thread about his switch, and the difference between just a switch and a switch with a relay.

The real critical thing, and I mean critical, is that no reef tank should ever be setup without a GFI Circuit. If you have a GFI Circuit these problems can be avoided.

aquaman67
06/03/2004, 08:48 AM
Well...

I'm not too familiar with relays and switches and such. The first time I ever actually saw an auto top off was at the last meeting at wooglin's.

I saw that thread and didn't want someone else to have a problem.

I just want everyone to be safe!