PDA

View Full Version : blue maxima problem...

SexiShrimp
05/27/2004, 12:25 PM
Hey All, I noticed yesterday that my blue maxima clam ( its a baby only2 inches long) is more open than usual. He look hyperextended (if that makes sence). I moved him closer to the PC's. He still has good color but he looks more open than usual and it's one side more than the other.

His color seems ok though. I checked all the water perameteres and they are all within normal limits. I feed him DT's and Marine snow almost everyday too. Plus cyclopeeze....

Any info would be appreciated!
:confused:

YodaHart
05/27/2004, 12:35 PM
More open?? Is that really a problem?! If you're feeding it everyday then it's probably just soaking up the phyto. I wouldn't think its a problem unless the clam is staying closed more than usual.

SexiShrimp
05/27/2004, 12:36 PM
Here's a picture...hope this helps

http://www.reeflounge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=79183#79183

ricky1414
05/27/2004, 12:44 PM
could mean he needs more light. the wide open mantle may be an indicator.

reewik
05/27/2004, 12:49 PM
Lets try moving it to my tank and see if that helps....lol....

SexiShrimp
05/27/2004, 12:50 PM
I thought they rely mostly on food when they are this small....I still moved him up to the light

reewik
05/27/2004, 01:27 PM
My understanding is that the Maxima is the 2nd most light demanding of the clams. The startest move was to get it closer to the light IMO. Clams direct should be a good source to ck out.

www.clamsdirect.com

ricky1414
05/27/2004, 02:30 PM
Yes, they need less light when younger, but they still need some pretty intense light. How much PC do you have on your 55?

rcmike
05/27/2004, 03:43 PM
I don't think that is the problem. I am sorry to say that it doesn't look good. The clam is gaping pretty bad. I have had some do that and mine usually don't last long after that. Check for parasitic snails or something irritating it. How long have you had it and where did you get it from? You might try asking on the Tridacna clam forum.

rcmike
05/27/2004, 03:46 PM
Another thing. Is it sitting on it's side? If so you might try sitting it upright. They usually don't like laying down.

SexiShrimp
05/27/2004, 04:17 PM
Thanks for all your help! It doesn't usually sit on its side....recently is has been on its side and I put it back staight up. I've had it for 3 months. It's been doing great (I thought). I guess I'll just have to wait. When I pick it up and place it right side again I usually check for parasites....don't see any. I have it in it's own little container so nothing really crawls to it.

SexiShrimp
05/27/2004, 04:18 PM
Oh, I have about 5 watts per gallon of PC lighting.

fishdoc11
05/27/2004, 07:35 PM
It looks like it is gaping(incurrent siphon gets very large) and possibly pinching(mantle pulling away from shell). Sorry to say it doesn't look good. I think the worst thing to do is to move it alot right now(except for standing it up). Healthy clams can suddenly become sick when you move them. Sometimes it pushes sick ones over the edge. Unfortunately you have 2 things working against you with that clam. It is small, clams of at least 3" or better 4" are much hardier than smaller ones. The other thing is your lighting. Some people claim it is possible to keep squamosas and deresas under pc's but most people say not. Allmost all clam experts will tell you MH is neccessary to keep maximas and croceas. I am sorry about your tank luck lately. I know it has to be frustrating.
Chris

Oldschooler
05/27/2004, 11:47 PM
I agree with Chris about the lighting (I know, everyone's shocked), but want to add that blue-leg and other hermits and snails can and do knock them over (which isn't good). Also, hermits of ALL KINDS do, in my experience, nibble on even living clams. I know SEVERAL people who argue with me that they wouldn't do this if the clam wasn't already sick, but I've read and seen otherwise...

SexiShrimp
05/28/2004, 07:54 AM
I haven't had any hermits in my tank for 2 months. :(

Oldschooler
05/28/2004, 08:12 AM
There's a joke there, somewhere... ;)

rcmike
05/28/2004, 08:27 AM
How is it looking today?

The lighting is a little low but I think there is another problem here also. I had 4 clams do this under 400W MHs. I had 2 for close to a year and 2 for only a couple of weeks. One of the new clams started gaping and then one by one they each started doing it. In a couple of weeks they were all dead. They started doing that more and more every day until they were just a blob of stinky jelly. I remember reading around the time that mine died that there was some sort of pathogen wiping out large numbers of clams. Apparently it was in some importers tanks and infecting most that came through there. I have read some people are giving them freshwater dips but mine was way to far gone before I tried it. Clams can be tricky.

fishdoc11
05/28/2004, 11:13 AM
Michael makes a good point. Typically those kinds of things will be introduced on another mollusk of some sort. Have you added another clam or maybe some snails?
Chris

SexiShrimp
05/28/2004, 05:24 PM
I have giant snails and the mexican snails....
he looks blah today too

fishdoc11
05/28/2004, 08:19 PM
Sorry he's still looking blah.