PDA

View Full Version : Tang police Lopezi Tang 4-5"

aqua_obs
05/25/2004, 05:34 PM
I have an opportunity to purchase a lopezi Tang from a fellow reefer. He currently has it in a 55 ga. I have a 150 bow front with a sailfin tang already, about 4". I read he can get to 18". There is also a 7" harwicke wrasse and a lot of LR in the tank. Filtering is ER skimmer, fuge and LR. I might be adding back my UV sterilizer. Any opinions out there?

PSEUDOREEFER
05/25/2004, 06:57 PM
They normally grow really slow, so if you plan to go to a MUCH larger tank in the near future I think it would be OK. If you want it... start saving up for that 500 gallon tank :lol: I'm not sure exactly how much space it would need :confused: Anyone keep fish this large?

aquamann46
05/26/2004, 12:03 PM
my god man,
get the bloody tang.
sorry but i see a lot of people on this board lately afraid to put a tang in a tank less than the size of an ocean. the tang police have the bejesus scared out of everyone. stop the madness

DgenR8
05/26/2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by aquamann46
my god man,
get the bloody tang.
sorry but i see a lot of people on this board lately afraid to put a tang in a tank less than the size of an ocean. the tang police have the bejesus scared out of everyone. stop the madness

Well, thanks for being constructive, and adding so much to the discussion! :rolleye1:
Perhaps you would like to talk to us about the manerisms of this particular fish (Lopezi Tang) or how likely he is to get along with aqua_obs existing Sailfin Tang?
There is a reason for "The Tang Police" to suggest not adding certain Tangs to certain size tanks, or combining certain Tangs with other Tangs.
Before you recommend that someone just "get the bloody Tang" why not have some information to offer?

aqua_obs
05/26/2004, 01:16 PM
Aqman46, I see your point and I'm down with it, but compatibility is an issue, though from what I've read, since they are quite different in appearence, I was hoping they'd work. I was also worried an 18" fish would eat all the others!!!! The other side is if it gets that big it will fillet out very nice and tast good on the barbie!

The owner did mention it was slow growing and my sailfin is also quite slow growing. I'm certain it will make a great addition and the fact that it is coming from a fellow reefer who had it in a 55 will make the fish happier too.

Any more feedback?
tia

aquamann46
05/26/2004, 01:21 PM
i did'nt think he was asking about the 2 tangs getting along. it seemed as though he was afraid of the tang police jumping down his throat for having 2 in a 150 thats all. i dont think i offended him do you? i guess "get the bloody tang " could be considered offensive by some but it was'nt meant that way. guess i should have put a big fat smiley there

aqua_obs
05/26/2004, 04:51 PM
The tang is not bloody yet, only if I fillet him! Now quit stealing my thread to squabble!

Any experience with these guys is appreciated.

chillyfishie
05/28/2004, 07:40 PM
He'll probably get along fine with the Sailfin...he might get picked on for a few days...however the Lopezi will fast become the piggy of the tank. I maintain a 200G that had a Lopezi... that ended up being donated to a public AQ because it got too big. He went from 3" to 10-12" in less than a year. Good Nutrition! :)

It's a beautiful fish, hardy and personable...but it may outgrow your tank.

:)Chilly