PDA

View Full Version : Euro Reef Skimmer

Sir Knight
05/17/2004, 06:02 PM
I just set up my new tank this afternoon and started up my new skimmer. I didn't clean it or anything, I just plugged it in and within 10 minutes it is already foaming. Now that is impressive.
Also my Gulfview live baserock comes in tomorrow. I'll post some more pictures when I have it in the tank

here is a picture of my new setup where you can see the skimmer

:beer:

fishdoc11
05/17/2004, 06:18 PM
What model # Euroreef skimmer is that? I will be very curious to see how it works as Euroreefs are one I am considering for my probable upgrade. It certainly looks impressive.
thanks, Chris

Sir Knight
05/17/2004, 07:04 PM
It is the ES8-1. So far it's working great. I did add the gate value upgrade. The skimmer is rated for a 135 gallon tank.
Here is a link to the place I got mine from

http://www.h2otropicals.com/

reewik
05/17/2004, 08:55 PM
Very, Very nice tank. You are going to make us all look bad Joe. You spare no expense and do it right the first time. A future goal of my own.

fishdoc11
05/17/2004, 10:39 PM
Joe,
Are you running the Sedra 5000 on your Euroreef? Do you know the gph of the Sedra 3500 and 5000. Also what pumps did you run your MRC skimmers with?
thanks, Chris

Sir Knight
05/17/2004, 11:30 PM
Chris,

Are you running the Sedra 5000 on your Euroreef?

Yes, It has the sedra 5000 on it

Do you know the gph of the Sedra 3500 and 5000

The 3500 is 350 gph @ 6'
The 5000 is 500 gph @ 6'

Also what pumps did you run your MRC skimmers with?

I was using a external pump. They were Gen-X PCX-40 (Mak4). They do 1190 gph

fishdoc11
05/18/2004, 08:03 AM
You gave the rated flow of the Sedra at 6'. Is this the pressure it operates under running through the skimmer at 0 ft? How loud was the MRC compared to the Euroreef? Sorry for all the questions but I'll have quite a few for you in the next couple of weeks if you don't mind. I'll probably just PM you in the future.
thanks, Chris

Sir Knight
05/18/2004, 08:52 AM
You gave the rated flow of the Sedra at 6'. Is this the pressure it operates under running through the skimmer at 0 ft?

That was the only info I could find on this pump. When I received the skimmer package it was all packaged as a single unit (Skimmer, pump,etc). It didn't have any paper work on the pump.

How loud was the MRC compared to the Euroreef?

With the gate value update on the Euro reef it is almost silent. I have a little low end noise, but when I put some foam rubber under the skimmer and pump I think it will be silent.
I must say the Euro reef is a lot quieter then the MRC.

Remember, the MRC is a beckett type skimmer which requires a lot more water running thru it, so you have some noise. You will need a strong pump to run it, like the Gen-X mak4 or an Iwaki. These types of pumps also add noise and most of them will be fan cooled. The fans add noise. Even the larger in-sump pumps will add noise. I have used MRC skimmers for some time and I still think they a great skimmers. They are a little more noisier but the price is right. I must say, I never had one of these (MRC) produce skimmit within 10 minutes even when I cleaned them before installing them.

Sorry for all the questions but I'll have quite a few for you in the next couple of weeks if you don't mind.

No problem I will try to answer any question(s) you may have. :)

rcmike
05/18/2004, 09:57 AM
Do you think the new sand could be the reason that it skimmed so quickly? I know that when I added a tank to my system the skimmer started going wild when I added the sand. It was well washed also. The skimmate was sort of greyish also.

fishdoc11
05/18/2004, 10:42 AM
Thanks Joe! What kind of skimmer are you running Michael? I remember yours seemed to be doing a fine job.
Chris

Sir Knight
05/18/2004, 11:46 AM
I didn't wash my sand and never have. because I don't like adding chlorine to my tanks. I know it is minimal but that's just him. The skimmet has a green tint and the tank wasn't cloudy. I add the dry sand first than put a large bowl in the tank and direct the water to the bowl it works for me. Here is a picture of my tank 30 minutes after adding the live baserock.

Sir Knight
05/18/2004, 11:50 AM
Here is another picture of the rock. This rock is from gulfview and costs $2.00 lb as you can see it has coraline algae on it. I must say, this was not what I was expecting. I was expecting bare white rock.

rcmike
05/18/2004, 12:10 PM
Chris, I have an Aqua-C EV-180. I also run ozone (at a very low dosage) in it a couple of hours each night. The ozone has really done a lot to help with the clarity of the water and algae control, especially since I have a pretty large fish load also. The only problem I have had with the skimmer is stuff getting stuck in the injector, especially bubble algae when I had a problem with it. It is easy to take the hose off and unscrew the injector so it can be cleaned though.

Joe, that looks like some good rock for base rock! I have seen ultra super duper premium coralline incrusted live rock that looks a lot worse than that. Can't beat Gulf View.

Sir Knight
05/18/2004, 12:18 PM
Thanks Michael,
I also had a few mantis shrimp and hairy crabs in the bottom of the box, which I asked Dale to give me. Free fish food my puffer. He is going to love them