PDA

View Full Version : "Sailfin" Tangs: where do all the big ones go?

Gary Majchrzak
05/16/2004, 06:55 AM
Zebrasoma desjardinii and D. veliferum are the "Sailfin" Tangs we all know so well and love {or dislike}. Commonly seen as small to medium size specimens for sale at the LFS, these fishes can get rather large when mature {15" length}.
Although I always see them for sale at almost every fish store I visit and they are a "standard" in the hobby, I rarely see large mature specimens in someone's home aquarium. Where do all the Sailfin Tangs go?
Before purchasing one of these fish, consider the space they need when mature- at least a 135 gallon aquarium according to several authorities on fishkeeping. A large "sleeping hole" will help alleviate squabbles at dusk for prime nightime dozing. These fish have subtle beauty and can occasionally have the temperment of a child. Make sure you don't purchase one casually- their life expectancy is believed to be upwards of 20 years or so. There just aren't many foster homes for big Sailfins.:)

Steven Pro
05/16/2004, 08:55 PM
Have you ever had a chance to visit Inland Aquatics? Morgan has several monsters out there that are truly impressive.

Gary Majchrzak
05/17/2004, 04:57 AM
Hi Steven. 'Inland Aquatics' is still on my list of places to visit. I've personally had a monster Sailfin for many years- it outgrew it's previous owners tank a long long time ago. I've had several people comment that it's too large for my 225 gallon reef. I agree with them, but there's no way I can bring myself to remove the fish.

barnacle bill
05/19/2004, 06:33 PM
Those are the dimensions of my sailfin in my 225 I have only had him for a month got him from a friend who had him in a 125 that he outgrew also have a rather large naso that i also aquired people might say that these fish get to large for a 225 but for now they are fat as can be. I was not planning on having any large tangs but was afraid that if i did not take them that they would not survive. The guy that had them in the 125 did an excellent job of keeping them fat they are beautiful fish no lateral line erosion at all. I guess when they outgrow the current tank i will have to go larger. Please dont hammer me I have an excellent record of keeping fish and these will be no exception.:D

nanocat
05/20/2004, 08:46 AM
Well, there's always the possibility of an outdoor (saltwater )pond. It works for Koi :lol:

blface
05/28/2004, 09:25 AM
My LFS had a pair of Red Sea sailfins that were as big as dinner plates in their display tank. They lost one when the owner died. But I think thet still have the other one. Awesome looking fish w/ the spots on nose & different color changes by mood.

Jerry W
05/30/2004, 12:43 PM
Most of these available at the lfs are sold as small specimens. The lfs know very well that these fish grow to large proportions, but will sell them to hobbyists with small tanks, and then not take them back when they outgrow said tank. My lfs has stopped taking larger fish in on trade believing that many refuse to eat when plucked from a tank they have become accustomed to and then placed in his holding tanks, awaiting resale. Personally, I think some of these species should be special order fish and sold only to folks who can house them appropriately. Probably an unpopular opinion.

DgenR8
05/30/2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Jerry W
Personally, I think some of these species should be special order fish and sold only to folks who can house them appropriately. Probably an unpopular opinion.

That depends on who you talk to. People with education in the hobby, and a conscience would probably see that as a very popular opinion.

Gary Majchrzak
05/30/2004, 05:33 PM
I couldn't have said it better myself!

Laura D
06/02/2004, 02:13 PM
I have a big sailfin tang, he has been in captivity for about 6 years or so, I got him from someone who had him in a 75 and he obviously outgrew it. I don't know how big he is going to get for me, but I hope he doesn't get bigger.

He is not as big as some wild ones I have seen while snorkeling in Hawaii, but everyone who sees my tank, first words out of their mouth are "Holy %@#$, that is a huge fish!"

I have him in a 155, and despite the fact that he seems happy and well adjusted, I really really think 155 is too small for him. One beat of the tail and he is from one end of the tank to the other. I feel guilty keeping this fish in what for him is a small tank.

It's a shame they get so big, as mine has a lovely personality, and is not afraid of anything, eat valonia, and gets along with every fish I have ever had him with. They would be a perfect reef fish if not for the size issue.

brahm
06/18/2004, 04:03 AM
Yea I think the price of fish should be based on it's requirments, fish that grow large, or picky eaters like mandarins 200-250$ a piece, this way people who are more likely to shell out that kinda of money will be willing to make sure there fish is healthy, happy and have the correct home.. Nobody would be stuffing a yellow tang in a 29 if it's cost 250$

Ira NZ
06/20/2004, 08:41 AM
And then noone would BUY yellow tangs, which means no LFS would stock them, no Wholesaler would stock them and so the people that are willing to pay that much won't be able to get them.

brahm
06/20/2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Ira NZ
And then noone would BUY yellow tangs, which means no LFS would stock them, no Wholesaler would stock them and so the people that are willing to pay that much won't be able to get them.

People would buy them, You used to have to spend 200 on a RBTA, those never sat in stores long.